E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coding possible for DIY....look here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Yeah that was me who made that thread..... ....

Yes paying $70 for ONE TIME CODING is a RIP OFF.....if you buy the cable for $120...you can code all you want and whenever you want...if you pay $70 once to code your mirrors to fold in.... then a few weeks later you decide you want the digital speed display...your going to PAY another $70. Already you have paid $140 not to mention gas costs/miles...some people live 2-3 hours away from these coders....

I also have fun doing things on my own....once you get the hang of DIY coding its endless possibilities...and for friends who don't want to do DIY or are not interested in learning how to...you can charge them $20 or $0....instead of them paying $70-$150....

But I understand some people think all this stuff is jargon...and need help with very simple things....
See, while I can appreciate your train of thought, it is exactly this type of thought that people don't appreciate and value service and knowledge. What you're paying for is an experienced person to do work for you, ensuring everything will work correctly.

On the other hand, if you can do it yourself for fraction of the price, then go for it, no one will stop you.

I'll use an easy analogy. When your company brings in Oracle or Cisco engineer, they charge you an arm and a leg per hour. Do you have a choice? Sure you do. If you have the know how, you can do it yourself, but if you don't, all you can do is swallow the bill. It's just the way the service industry works.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

rip off may be a bit strongly worded. Personally I'd like to live close to one of these coders who do it for 70-130 bucks, but I haven't yet heard of any within reach in Scandinavia. Hence I have to go to a dealer every time and there you can talk about rip off! then again, someone have to pay for their high chrome dealerships, massive staffing and cappucino makers.

ok, back on cue. I can find my way around windows and I can keep the machine running when I get a problem. I usually build/upgrade the family pc's once a year. I did a little basic programming on my first computer, a ZX81 back in 1981.. but that's about the extent of my programming skills. I am intrigued by the notion that one might do his own coding and I do have a spare laptop. So my question is this, can a layman like me also easily do coding, with the right hardware in hand, or does it require that you do coding for a dayjob, as it seems some of you guys might be doing?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I do not know one end of c++ or the other, cant even do basic but I have all the software needed and learned how to use it in order to code my car.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

ok, sounds promising. I'll check out the files.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

It`s fairly straight forward once you realise what's involved and your are aware of the risks. A decent battery charger is an absolute must unless you want a 1.5 ton paper weight .
Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Well every friday I usually treat myself to a part or two so I just ordered the cables.

I got them off eBay. Lets see what happens
Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d touring

hiya Luxurytax how did you get on? just been reading the tread
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by stocky
hiya Luxurytax how did you get on? just been reading the tread
Get on? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
to do next:
disable seatbelt DONG!
I also have a DIY for this ... very simple.

1) Reach over your left shoulder and grab the belt with a clip attached to it.
2) Click it to the buckle right by your right hip and the DONG will go away.
3) Repeat steps every time you get in and drive your E60.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d touring

Luxurytax thought you were going to try your new lead

Quick Reply: Coding possible for DIY....look here.