E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coded some extra menu options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by Ehssan
BlooD : so if my car is 09/2006 means I can't have welcome lights ?
You may be lucky, mine is 09/2006 as well and I have the LCM2, I think it depends when they actually started the build in the month.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Members

If anyone in the Atlanta area can do coding please PM me
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by BLooD
You may be lucky, mine is 09/2006 as well and I have the LCM2, I think it depends when they actually started the build in the month.
i think I have LCM2 , my friend has 545I 06/06 , when he hit the high beam stick towards the engine side , his high beam and low beam with bixenon comes on ,, on mine , i get on the bixenon works without the high beam ..

anyway I'm getting the car back from the dealer today or tomorrow , I will start playing with the coding and see how it goes ..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i

WOW! So impressed!
I wish I could find a 'BMW Genius' in Toronto, or somewhere close...
Im debating to make a drive down south to the states and get some coding done
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Jonsmilez
WOW! So impressed!
I wish I could find a 'BMW Genius' in Toronto, or somewhere close...
Im debating to make a drive down south to the states and get some coding done

7hrs 40mins to get to where I am.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

So I've started coding as well now.
I'm only starting to adapt to the high learning curve this requires but I'll go through the motions of how I started off to help anyone else who might wanna get into this.
Having done a ton of (hardware) mods on my car, software coding offers a new dimension to getting to know your car, but definately requires a higher degree of safety and procedure discipline as bricking your car is a real possiblity if you screw up.

thanks to Rootkit, Blood,Sas for all help, tips, links etc..

So started off by getting a 12V40A battery charger.

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-033-1280x768.jpg

while coding I never noticed it to exceed 18A, so maybe a 20A charger might also suffice. I turn off headlights (position 0) and the climate control. The only thing running are the DRL's, CCC, and anything else running on ignition position 2. I'm not sure if coding something for example in the light module will require you to turn on headlights - then the extra juice would come in handy to keep things stable.

OBD2 USB INPA compatible D/K -CAN cable

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-034-1280x768.jpg

apparently there are other (cheaper) cables (clear) on ebay but I went with the flow and got this one (black lead cable). Works stable and have not had any data transmission probs.

You basically need the folders on your C:drive with the appropriate links on your desktop. Googling NCS Expert along with EDIABAS and INPA will get you tons of info which you will need to absorb and understand. My first comment and questions in this thread was about 2 months ago - time I've used to order the above and research the new enviroment.

First I linked to the car's DME (ECU) via INPA and checked out some diagnostics:

this is a cold start of my car cycling through some displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_Xfe3yprQ

Of course all the fun is the NCS Expert program which will let you code individual modules. There are more things you can do like add/modifying the car's order (VO) or FA list. I haven't played but certain things might have to be added to the FA list if you need to activate something in the module. Thankfully there are other members with more experience in this.

This is what I've managed so far:

KOMBI
trace file: FSW_PSW.TRC.txt

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-025-1280x768.jpg

BC_DIGITAL_V
aktiv
BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR
nicht_aktiv

Since I have a HUD which also gives a digital (corrected, so overeads) speed readout - I elected to have my cluster digital readout to indicated true speed. Therefore I deactivated the correction. Now i can really go right up to the speed limit in speed camera dense highways/areas. It's an added HMI that I find useful as you're not always strict with your own overspeed buffer. So while my HUD indicates 126km/h, the digital cluster readout is 120km/h.
If you have no HUD you can still have your corrected analogue speedo deactivated:

BC_V_KORREKTUR
aktiv --> nicht_activ

HUD
trace file: FSW_PSW.TRC.HUD.txt

BLINKER_AUSSTATTUNG
aktiv

this activates the indicator arrows in the HUD when you signal left or right. Someone on the forum has a video of this. It's nice for me since somehow with my height I just miss the right indicator on my cluster.

M_SPORT_HUD
aktiv

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-021-1280x768.jpg
Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-022-1280x768.jpg
Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-032-1280x768.jpg

ah yes, the coveted M display - as indicated by BenAnd only works for 30 sec :thumbsdown: Looks nice though I'm not giving up on this until we find out which parameter controls either the duration (30sec) or something else. Note that I have M-HUD without the other parameters in CAPPL (MDRIVE etc) activated. The only thing they do is add a menu to my idrive - later covered. Yes, I did acivate everything = no joy - the answer is elswhere. There's one more parameter in HUD named:

M_PARAMETER
wert_01

I'm not sure what value to give this to try something else... anyone know what it does ?

IHKA
trace file: FSW_PSW.TRC.IHKA.txt

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-024-1280x768.jpg

GEBL_ANZEIGE_AUTO
aktiv

while in auto climate mode I can still see the actual fan speed. Not particularly exciting - just informative.

CAPPL
trace file: FSW_PSW.TRC.CAPPL.txt
from what I see, a lot of coding can be had here...

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-028-1280x768.jpg

VA_SEATCLIMA_SHORTCUT
aktiv

pressing the heat seating button toggles the idrive seat heater slider adjustment display for a few seconds in case you want any adjustments. It seems you need also this active:

VA_SEATHEAT_SLIDER
nicht_aktiv

but on mine I found it nicht_activ, nevertheless I still have this in my idrive climate menu..thiis were questions will start accumulating in your mind -

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-026-1280x768.jpg

VA_CORNERINGLIGHT
aktiv

3 years ago I had the full LCI lights retrofitted (LCM2) - only thing missing was cornering lights. Unfortunately still not working - I still need to tap into the LMA and see if there's anything connected - any ideas from the experts here ?
Although I have the LCI welcome lights - which work perfectly - I don't have the option in the idrive - might add that.

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-029-1280x768.jpg
Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-030-1280x768.jpg
Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-031-1280x768.jpg

MDRIVE
aktiv = menu in idrive
MDRIVE_ALBV
aktiv = seats lateral g
MDRIVE_SMG
aktiv = gear mode
HUD_M
aktiv = activates in HUD (but I have it already via the HUD module)

also found this:

MDRIVE_MENU
nicht_aktiv haven't tried this out yet....

I currently have everything deactivated pending further investigations.

Coded some extra menu options.-various-jan-2011-027-1280x768.jpg

NOTEPAD
aktiv

SMS
aktiv

added SMS and NOTEPAD to the Communication menu. My mobile doesn't have a notepad and sending an sms to myself didn't make it show up in any way - not sure on the use here...

AMBANDS
nicht_aktiv

this skips the AM band when you toggle through the audio sources.

Next up is the LMA module.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

My M-Hud stays active as long as I want it.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
My M-Hud stays active as long as I want it.

cool I think it was mentioned MY2006 and over don't have that prob but that older cars would work if you added the m5 cluster or something along those lines. I have the m5 cluster installed.

Could you post or pm your current CAPPL and HUD trace files ? Maybe I could compare what's amiss.
I wonder if a need to add something to the FA list ?

cheers,

andy
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

Thanks Andy for great sharing , I managed to have my cable with USB to serial adapter to work yesterday ... I gave it a try today morning to read some NCS files but it give some error during reading from ECU ... will check it out and then follow your steps .. I would love to activate all the above options ,, some of then already there but still nice to activate the rest ..
Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Just looking through the HUD trace, there a couple more you might want to try unless there already working:-

TELEFON_AUSSTATUNG

set to AKTIV, looks like it shows incoming call info.

ENTERTAINMENT_AUSSTATTUNG

set to AKTIV, looks like this shows entertainment info.

As for M_PARAMETER it only has one setting and thats wert_01

M_SPORT_HUD has three settings :-

aktiv, aktiv_handschalter and nicht_aktiv.

NAVI_AUSSTATUNG has two settings :-

high_guiding and low_guiding.

Quick Reply: Coded some extra menu options.