E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Clunkers? HELL NO!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='972333' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:27 PM
hahaha...you guys dont really think that the "clunkers" in this post will destroyed do you? come on, i would say at least 25% of the "clunkers" that have been returned will one way or another find there way back to the road. and 25% is probably a conservative number.
they will never find their way back to the road. parts will be sold i believe, but that VIN will never be registered again. the scrap yards face a $15K fine per instance for any car that isnt destroyed in its entirety.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and repair/auto body shops get a hefty fine for turning back miles on a car

btw, ive gone over my miles on all my leases and have never payed a dime back to the dealer...

there is always a way
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60' post='972104' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:34 AM
Overall, in think the cash for clunkers deal is good. I takes bad cars off the road and helps the environment, and also is a win-win for the government that owns most of gm. They get them business and keep the world cleaner. But seeing some great cars go to the scrap yards.....SUcks! I also saw a wrangler soft top on the lot. It was so clean, just had rusted out push bars... besides that.. it was perfect. Oh well. Hope they enjoy their new wheels.

Don't you mean takes old cars off the road and people buy Hyundais, Subarus, and Toyotas? So much for stimulating the American manufacturing sector. Oh wait, WHAT American manufacturing sector? I forgot its dead. The only thing we produce now is debt.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='972368' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:57 PM
they will never find their way back to the road. parts will be sold i believe, but that VIN will never be registered again. the scrap yards face a $15K fine per instance for any car that isnt destroyed in its entirety.
here is the disposal facility form which outlines what you can do:

http://www.cars.gov/files/6265_DisposalFac...icationForm.pdf

...some parts can be salvaged, just not engine or drivetrain parts.

once the car is turned in for the "CARS" program, the information is reported to NMVTIS, therefore making the VIN # associated with that car ineligible for registration anywhere in the US. this is part of the process of the dealers receiving their rebates.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='972391' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:34 AM
Don't you mean takes old cars off the road and people buy Hyundais, Subarus, and Toyotas? So much for stimulating the American manufacturing sector. Oh wait, WHAT American manufacturing sector? I forgot its dead. The only thing we produce now is debt.

Um, actually, my wife has a Subaru Tribeca and unlike most of the "American" cars - it's actually built here. Chevy Impala - built in Canada/ Ford Fusion - built in Mexico, whereas the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord (US spec), Nissan Altima/Maxima are all built here in the good ol' USofA. So kind takes the wid out of that argument.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='972470' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:24 PM
Um, actually, my wife has a Subaru Tribeca and unlike most of the "American" cars - it's actually built here. Chevy Impala - built in Canada/ Ford Fusion - built in Mexico, whereas the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord (US spec), Nissan Altima/Maxima are all built here in the good ol' USofA. So kind takes the wid out of that argument.
that is very true, i think people get confused. yes the company is headquartered in a foreign country, designed and engineered there, but assembled and sold here. it does proved work for everyone from the assemblymen in the factories to the truck drivers transporting the vehicles to the the lot boy at the dealerships. this program unarguably stimulated the economy for the short term.

but at what cost?

btw, i still hate the program... i just figured, with all this political talk on the forums, we havent agreed on anything in a week or two. i wanted to take this opportunity to agree.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='972500' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:42 PM
that is very true, i think people get confused. yes the company is headquartered in a foreign country, designed and engineered there, but assembled and sold here. it does proved work for everyone from the assemblymen in the factories to the lot boy at the dealerships. this program inarguably stimulated the economy for the short term.

but at what cost?

btw, i still hate the program... i just figured, with all this political talk on the forums, we havent agreed on anything in a week or two. i wanted to take this opportunity to agree.

I actually agree with you on this program, to an extent, the idea was a good one overall. The implementation is what is stupid. Used parts in good condition are invaluable to keeping good cars on the road. The fact the vehicles traded in are mandated to be destroyed (if that really happens) is stupid. When I was in High School I would've never kept a car running without a Pick-a-part nearby with readily available parts for me to use, as I said before - that is the definition of "recycling"
Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
sos
Members

Same happening over here guys :-(

Any car over 10 years old, that you've owned for a year or more, can be traded in against any new car with a ?2000 rebate.

Also similar happening in Germany with a 2500 EURO rebate and I expect a lot of other EU countries.

Our wonderful government is making out how wonderful it is, but it's our tax money they are using to fund it :-(

P.S. I love that red car, would fetch good money over here if it was in good condition.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Was there this much whining when we went into Iraq? Spent 700 Billion bailing out a few firms, who are now giving million dollar bonus' to their top employees, again? Just.. wow.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='973773' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:00 PM
Was there this much whining when we went into Iraq? Spent 700 Billion bailing out a few firms, who are now giving million dollar bonus' to their top employees, again? Just.. wow.
there was definately whining. i think at this point it keeps getting piled on and ENOUGH is ENOUGH. there was a TON of outrage about the execs bonus'.

it has gotten so bad that people HAVE to be fed up now. the massive spending has woken up the average American.

the current issues aren't even partisan issues anymore. liberals and the liberal media want to make conservatives out to be an "angry mob" when the truth is it is everyone regardless of political affiliation.

does anyone know why the second amendment really exists? it is not in place so you can collect guns. it was also not in place so you can keep it on your nightstand to protect yourself from a burglar.

Quick Reply: Clunkers? HELL NO!!