E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

clueless on coding

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 06:10 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52
Question clueless on coding

Hello,

I have a 2006 e60. I have recently upgraded headlights, angel eyes, fog lights to LED. I now have two problems:

1. headlights not only flicker on start up, but flicker intermittently while driving

2. when the fog lights are on error codes on the dash come and go (though fogs seem to work fine). This is despite using load resistors.

I understand that I can "code" out these issues. I am of fairly moderate technical skill, but have no experience with this. Can somebody guide me on how to get started?

Much appreciated,
J.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Buy a hardware coder or software. There's so many to choose from. Or pay someone to code it.

Sounds like you bought some iffy upgrades.

They may appear to be working to you but the car is disagreeing with your perception.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

https://app.mycarly.com/en/plan/?c=US&b=bmw&n=BMW
Old 06-21-2020, 05:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 525
Engine: M54B25
Talking

Originally Posted by sparkyjonze
Hello,

I have a 2006 e60. I have recently upgraded headlights, angel eyes, fog lights to LED. I now have two problems:

1. headlights not only flicker on start up, but flicker intermittently while driving

2. when the fog lights are on error codes on the dash come and go (though fogs seem to work fine). This is despite using load resistors.

I understand that I can "code" out these issues. I am of fairly moderate technical skill, but have no experience with this. Can somebody guide me on how to get started?

Much appreciated,
J.
My LED's also used to flicker on startup and once in a while when driving but that's just the car sending pulses to check for any burnt-out bulbs.
It's super easy to get rid of all those errors if you have NCSEXPERT and a compatible obd 2 cable. I did it myself and works a charm. It won't take you more than 10 minutes and I'd be happy to help you.

Last edited by Erik Sierra; 06-21-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 BMW 550i, 07 530i
Engine: N62

Here is the software package you're gonne be looking at (according to BMW Doctor on Youtube). Called Mikes Easy BMW Tools, which include INPA, NCS Expert and probably other tools.

You'll also want a K+DCAN cable. There are probably a million of these on eBay, but you're looking at cables that could possibly be defective. Some sellers will sell pre-tested ones.

I'm getting ready to do some coding on my 550i, which include HUD coding, econ gauge repurposing, and whatever other cool ideas I can come up with. When you find something you want to "code" from what I see there will be a video floating around somewhere for it. The e60 has a lot of technical support from the community.

I'm planning on doing this sometime before the 4th. Whatever tips or helpful info i can find I'll be sure to update you with.

Mikes Easy BMW Tools: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366
Old 06-28-2020, 08:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Erik Sierra
My LED's also used to flicker on startup and once in a while when driving but that's just the car sending pulses to check for any burnt-out bulbs.
It's super easy to get rid of all those errors if you have NCSEXPERT and a compatible obd 2 cable. I did it myself and works a charm. It won't take you more than 10 minutes and I'd be happy to help you.
Sorry, I got sidetracked there a bit. Wow, thank you very much.

"if you have NCSEXPERT and a compatible obd 2 cable"

So regarding this quote, I don't have either but willing to get them if you say this project can be done in short time.

It looks like I can get NCSEXPERT from a link in another reply below (also very helpful and I thank the poster.)

Or whatever you suggest. Where to get the cable?

Thanks again!
J.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by karomoney
Here is the software package you're gonne be looking at (according to BMW Doctor on Youtube). Called Mikes Easy BMW Tools, which include INPA, NCS Expert and probably other tools.

You'll also want a K+DCAN cable. There are probably a million of these on eBay, but you're looking at cables that could possibly be defective. Some sellers will sell pre-tested ones.

I'm getting ready to do some coding on my 550i, which include HUD coding, econ gauge repurposing, and whatever other cool ideas I can come up with. When you find something you want to "code" from what I see there will be a video floating around somewhere for it. The e60 has a lot of technical support from the community.

I'm planning on doing this sometime before the 4th. Whatever tips or helpful info i can find I'll be sure to update you with.

Hey thanks so much for your information. Really appreciate it. So I downloaded the software. Another helpful poster here tells me NCS EXPERT is all I need, at least for the original job I posted about. I'll have to get my hands on the cable and then regroup with you all. Thanks again.

J.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karomoney

Would these tools also work with a obd2 Bluetooth adapter, i.e. Veepeak?
Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by sparkyjonze
Hey thanks so much for your information. Really appreciate it. So I downloaded the software. Another helpful poster here tells me NCS EXPERT is all I need, at least for the original job I posted about. I'll have to get my hands on the cable and then regroup with you all. Thanks again.

J.
NCSEXPERT and NCSDUMMY are the only programs that you'll need. (In theory NCSEXPERT is the only thing you need but NCSDUMMY makes everything easier by translating everything to English and they usually come together)
As for the Flickering, I've done it to my car and wolud be happy to help you when you get the cable.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:44 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
Would these tools also work with a obd2 Bluetooth adapter, i.e. Veepeak?
If you want to use the BT adapter with your PC then I'd say it most likely won't work but if you want to use it with your phone then yes (if you have the right adapter) also, if you already have the USB cable, most apps for bmw support that cable so you don't need a BT obd reader. There are different apps that work for bmw e.g. Carly, ProTool, Torque Pro but those need a subscription. If you have an Android phone then I'd recommend using an app called DeepOBD. It works great and can read/erase codes, read live data, log data and it's free!
The following users liked this post:
donpb (06-29-2020)

Quick Reply: clueless on coding