E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Olivine Green w/ Beige leather interior, 6 spd manual, premium package, comfort access, cold weather package, heated rear seats. 2005 Acura MDX Touring Sage Brush Pearl w/ NAV, running boards, roof rack 1993 325is Calypso Red w/ Parchment leather interior, 5 spd manual. (Sold Nov 06)

I'm considering getting a clear bra put on my car. Do any of you have one on your car already? If so, what's your overall assessment of its utility, durability, looks? Is it worth it? Does it look okay? What about when the car is waxed/polished? Looking for any pros/cons/opinions. I primarily want the bra to avoid or mitigate the impact of rock chips on the leading edge of the hood.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by dmahon' post='361645' date='Nov 28 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm considering getting a clear bra put on my car. Do any of you have one on your car already? If so, what's your overall assessment of its utility, durability, looks? Is it worth it? Does it look okay? What about when the car is waxed/polished? Looking for any pros/cons/opinions. I primarily want the bra to avoid or mitigate the impact of rock chips on the leading edge of the hood.

Thanks in advance.
they range in price...I just bought one for an M5 (I have the M-tech kit on a 550) from Ebay. Its a brand name 3M product. I think there are lots out there - some good; some not so good. This one is 3M 8mm and seems to have good feedback.

Seems about right for the price $90.00 - installers are charging as much as $700.00 for this samematerial installed....check it out (not me selling so 'buyer beware')

http://stores.ebay.com/Advantage-Cle...int-Protection
Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Members

I am getting mine put on next week. They are using 3M and total including install is $400. I heard the wax/polish needs to be treated just like the paint on the car. When you wax it make sure you clean where the line ends at the body. Meaning, if you dont do a good job cleaning the wax...it will build a small residue.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

yes there are different brands, but most are made by the same 2 or 3 manufacturers (i.e. 3M).

prices vary a lot, from buying a precut one for your model and installing it yourself, all the way to having a pro detailer/installer do a custom job where they cut it from a single sheet and wrap it while tucking the edges under the panel gaps to make it truly invisible.

its best to have the surfaces to be wrapped detailed beforehand, and once wrapped you can wash/wax it like normal paint.

it does minimize rock chips. price for a good installation is the about the same as respraying your bumper, so it works out to be the same in the long run.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Many members here have clear bras installed. There are tons of threads on the subject -- here are some of them in no particular order:

BMW Clear Bra, Does anyone have Clear Bra?
Clear bra, Yay or nay
Clear Bra, would you/Wouldn't you?
What brand of clear bra
I Drive, Clear Bra and other questions!
Autobahnd "Not-So-Clear Bra", Caution! Autobahnd Brand
How is 3m clear bra ?
Clear Bra
clear bra pic, attention JDN
Clear Bra??, how important is a clear bra?
Clear Bra, Is it worth it?
Clear Bras, Clear bra on the hood and front bumper?Clear Bra Paint Protection, Anybody Using this? Thoughts?
Clear bra!
Pebble Damage, Should I get "clear bra"?

(Believe it or not, there are more...)