E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chipping my 535xi- Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi with 2-kids seats and a ski box on top.

I'm very tempted to get a little more turbo out of my 535xi.

It's a six-speed manual.

Besides Dinan, has anyone chipped? Results? Worth the effort???

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

i have heard a lot of positive about the juice box stage 3, i am considering this upgrade myself at some point. it apparently ups your boost from about the stock 4 lbs to about 15 lbs giving you an extra hundred horsepower (race fuel). a lot of 335 guys have done it and had some pretty good #s i think there are 135s in the 11 second ballpark with this one upgrade
Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

if you don't want to mess with the ecu (jb 1,2,or 3), you can look/wait for the jb+...i currently have it in my e60....official release should be feb/march of this year....targeted numbers are 11-13 psi boost levels (stock is 6-8 psi IIRC)...no dyno's out just yet...

other options are procede or an sstt....

member jfisher is also selling a tune right now from his 535i....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=67951&hl=

GL

gene

cehck the e90 posts for more info..as the 335i is the same engine platform...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributors

You could also go with a Powechip reflash
Old 01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The are two considerations in chipping your car. All of the top versions of each company's software produces significant gains in torque and HP. There are two designs, one being a "piggy back" which attaches to your stock ECU and intercepts signal inputs and sends out its own performance enhancing outputs, the other is a complete remap of the stock ECU. The pros and cons are that the piggyback can be easily removed when you bring the car in for service/warranty work and when you dispose of the car, its negative is that it works as a blanket over the stock ECU so it might (my opinion) not integrate as well with all of the cars systems (ie. coolant pump which is variable speed). The only ECU remap is Dinan and "presumably" they have done the most testing against potential problems because it come with a warranty that augments the BMW warranty for 4 yrs or 50,000 miles on the software and any consequential damage the increased performance might cause.
There are some products for $500 and up to the Dinan $2000, all with similar power. Right now I think JB3 has the most power, but Procede is supposed to be coming out with something more aggressive.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='776502' date='Jan 24 2009, 06:57 PM
The are two considerations in chipping your car. All of the top versions of each company's software produces significant gains in torque and HP. There are two designs, one being a "piggy back" which attaches to your stock ECU and intercepts signal inputs and sends out its own performance enhancing outputs, the other is a complete remap of the stock ECU. The pros and cons are that the piggyback can be easily removed when you bring the car in for service/warranty work and when you dispose of the car, its negative is that it works as a blanket over the stock ECU so it might (my opinion) not integrate as well with all of the cars systems (ie. coolant pump which is variable speed). The only ECU remap is Dinan and "presumably" they have done the most testing against potential problems because it come with a warranty that augments the BMW warranty for 4 yrs or 50,000 miles on the software and any consequential damage the increased performance might cause.
There are some products for $500 and up to the Dinan $2000, all with similar power. Right now I think JB3 has the most power, but Procede is supposed to be coming out with something more aggressive.
Go to E90post and search around. There are several companies that actually offer chips - Dinan has a warranty and dealer network. ESS tuning has similar gains for much less money but you have to send the ECU to them. The N54 engine is quite responsive to tuning so plenty of choices out there.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Members

I'm going to dyno my 535i this week and get a baseline.
I'll probably pick a flash and rerun it on the dyno to check for results.
Has anyone verified exhaust and intake upgrades on an e60?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Do yourself a favor.

Go to E90post.com and N54tech.com.

Tons more info.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='776502' date='Jan 24 2009, 04:57 PM
Right now I think JB3 has the most power, but Procede is supposed to be coming out with something more aggressive.
Not sure, Procede users have had some very impressive dynos.

Very close in power, Procede vs Juice Box threads will go on forever.

To the OP. The piggy-back systems have very good advantage of running different maps. You can be conservative and run a lower map. Or if you desire you can put in some 100 oct and run a race map.

Talk to Shiv on E90post. Procede interacts with the ECU in a different way than the Juice Box 3, eventhough they are both piggy-backs.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='776674' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:20 AM
Not sure, Procede users have had some very impressive dynos.

Very close in power, Procede vs Juice Box threads will go on forever.

To the OP. The piggy-back systems have very good advantage of running different maps. You can be conservative and run a lower map. Or if you desire you can put in some 100 oct and run a race map.

Talk to Shiv on E90post. Procede interacts with the ECU in a different way than the Juice Box 3, eventhough they are both piggy-backs.
Losts of choices for sure, Dinan can automatically take advantage of up to 100 octane. It then produces 404 hp and 441 ft lbs.

Quick Reply: Chipping my 535xi- Need advice...