E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Child Seat and Back of Seat protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08' 535xi, White/Black, Premium, Cold Weather, Navi, Logic 7, iPod USB

Ok, I know this is not the coolest topic but it's very practical. I just took redelivery of my 08' 535xi. I have a 18month kid that I have to accommodate. What do you guys use? Is there any BMW specialized car seat? How about the protection for the back of the front seat? My son will mostly likely start kicking it soon. Any idea? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by ansetou' post='487484' date='Oct 29 2007, 02:27 PM
Ok, I know this is not the coolest topic but it's very practical. I just took redelivery of my 08' 535xi. I have a 18month kid that I have to accommodate. What do you guys use? Is there any BMW specialized car seat? How about the protection for the back of the front seat? My son will mostly likely start kicking it soon. Any idea? Thanks.
I take my little guys shoes off to reduce the damage , you would be surprised how they can scratch and mark up the back of a seat.There was a post here recently from the UK about the baby seat and some kind of a seat protector, it will be in the search feature.
Cheers
Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

My solution was to wait until my youngest boy was 2-1/2 years old. Just at the age where he can understand that this is daddy's 'new' car.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

No need to buy special BMW seat, have used Britax for years, both in my 545 and other vehicles. Great seats. If he is an only child, put him in the middle which will at least limit his ability to kick the back of a seat, at least somewhat. As others have suggested, remove any shoes as well, little sock feet do a lot less damage. Have not heard of any dedicated protector but one os those generic back of the seats storage hanging things would at least provide some protection.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Agree on the Britax. Best there is.

I find that the front seat back is pretty durable. My son constantly puts his feet up on it with his shoes on. No scratches, and dirt wipes off with a damp cloth.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here are some older topics where this was discussed:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=732
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11299
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3443
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15229
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=27968
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35193
Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Great topic, as I thought I was the only one who shared the utter dismay that comes from the dirt scuff marks on the back of my seats. I solved this problem by moving the passenger seat forward, this is where I put the five year old. My two year old sits behind me, and I found that using cut sheets of 3M protecting film keeps the seat backs looking brand new. In terms of car seats, I keep two GRACO boosters with the backs in the trunk for emergency pickups. If I know I have to have them in the car for more than just a short time, I remove the Britax Marathons from the wife?s Rover and use them. The Britax seats, IMHO, are the finest seat there is for protecting the kids from any sort of catastrophe I might encounter driving. I swear these things were designed by the Martin Baker ejection seat company out of England, they are that stout. When I ordered my 550, I optioned the rear bags, and the integrated side shades with the little ones in mind. A few pointers when hauling the little ones: If you put the center arm rest down, they can?t unbuckle the car seat belts. If you cannot seem to get them to settle down, shut off the traction control and light the rear wheels up, and slew sideways, this always fascinates them. The ?You Can?t Eat In Dad?s Car? rule lasts about a week.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Contributors

More than the back of the front seats is the actual seat itself. Not having full-sized legs, they rest their feet on the front edge of the back seat or at least step on in getting in and out of their car seat. Plus the car seats and booster seats abraide the leather seats especially with the grit which gets under them from the aforementioned shoes on the seat issue. Then there are the crumbs.......I try to convince my wife that the children will survive 30 minutes in the car without food.......but she is not convinced......and I want to remain married....therefore there are inevitably crumbs and juice box spills.

My solution was to go to an upholstery shop that does custom interiors. I had them make a cover for the lower partion of the back seat out of a vinyl material that is exactly the same colour as the leather. It even has a leather like texture. It is fitted around the bottom and has openings that the seat belts recepticles come through. It fits well because (a) they do custom upholstry for a living and (b) they took the bottom of the back seat out of the car and put it on their bench to make sure they designed and constructed the cover to fit the seat properly. With the car seats on it you don't even notice its there and keep in mind this is just the bottom of the seat so when you look in the car you are primarily looking at the vertical portion of the rear seat, which has no cover.

Pull out the car seats and whip of the cover and the seat is pristine. The car seats and cover go in the trunk, you can pick up a client or whatever anytime. I takes about 1 minute or less to fit it back on and your back to crumb mode.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have a 15 month baby girl and 5 year boy and have 2 child seat.

Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-002_06_09_29_bmw_baby_seat.jpg

this is a no slip rubber to protect the cars leater from the child seat and it will help the seat to bot slide when I corner.
Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-001_ferrari_baby_seat.jpg

Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-004_ferrari_baby_seat.jpg

this is the seat I have for my 5 year old
Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-003_ferrari_baby_seat.jpg

Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-ferrari_seat.jpg

planing to buy a new 1 which is a Ferrari from mothercare for my 15 month old baby to match the other 1

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000K...F8&mcb=core
Child Seat and Back of Seat protection-41lkhybty0l__sx315_sy375_pimothercare20percentoff_bottomright__10__10_sx315_sy375_.jpg
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 08' 535xi, White/Black, Premium, Cold Weather, Navi, Logic 7, iPod USB

thanks for the great feed back guys. I'll take a little bit from everyone. I guess to start I'll just put a black towel under the car seat and take off those shoes. When I do find the right things I'll replace them. The customized cover is a great idea but I am not sure if I can get that accomplished easily. Someone from China should make these things for luxury cars. Should be cheap to make and great sales.

Quick Reply: Child Seat and Back of Seat protection