E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changing Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about changing my runflats and spoke to both BMW today(UK) and Goodyear tyres (Eagle F1 GS D3.)

Both said that they would not recommend changing tyres for the following reasons:

1.Safety-blow out could be dangerous on a non run flat.

2.Car is engineered to drive on runflats (530 Diesel).

Local dealer said that non runflats could not be fitted to rims that I have.However I know this to be rubbish.

The main reason to change is for noise and comfort.I require two rear tyres at this time and the Goodyear Eagles have great reviews.I currently have Dunlops.

What do you fellow owners think?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My dealer told me the same thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530D Touring Silver Gray (A08), Auburn Dakota Leather (LCRK), Maple Wood, Steptronic, Bluetooth, 116 style 17'', Railbars, Sport suspension, Sport stering wheel

Originally Posted by gordongocus' date='Feb 14 2005, 01:43 PM
I have been thinking about changing my runflats and spoke to both BMW today(UK) and Goodyear tyres (Eagle F1 GS D3.)

Both said that they would not recommend changing tyres for the following reasons:

Local dealer said that non runflats could not be fitted to rims that I have.However I know this to be rubbish.

The main reason to change is for noise and comfort.I require two rear tyres at this time and the Goodyear Eagles have great reviews.I currently have Dunlops.

[snapback]90065[/snapback]
The car is engineered to drive even on regular tyres, no matter the engine!
There are lot of 530d with 16'' rims which are exclusively for non RFT.

I have asked the chief technician at my bmw dealer and he said that 116 style rims (the one I have chosen) can be used with non RFT.
I assume this is true even for the other styles.

I will receive a 530d end march/start april and I am asking the BMW dealer to change the RFT coming from BMW with normal tyres.
He said it is just a commercial matter to find a tyre dealer willing to do the swap.

For me this is important since it is not possible to ask a specific brand when you make the order.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by gordongocus' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:43 PM

Blow out could be dangerous??? Gimme a break. We've been driving on non runflats for 100 years..now all of a sudden they are dangerous? What next, solid rubber tires for safety? Don't waste your time asking the dealer any questions. They are very uninformed.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530D Touring Silver Gray (A08), Auburn Dakota Leather (LCRK), Maple Wood, Steptronic, Bluetooth, 116 style 17'', Railbars, Sport suspension, Sport stering wheel

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:14 PM
[quote name='gordongocus' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:43 PM']I have been thinking about changing my runflats and spoke to both BMW today(UK) and Goodyear tyres (Eagle F1 GS D3.)

Blow out could be dangerous??? Gimme a break. We've been driving on non runflats for 100 years..now all of a sudden they are dangerous? What next, solid rubber tires for safety? Don't waste your time asking the dealer any questions. They are very uninformed.
[snapback]90274[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree! Most of the time we have more information.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

Changed from runflats to Michelin Pilot Primacy. Agree that the reason you were given do not stand scrutiny. I have not bought myself a space saver spare (which IS a bit of a risk).

The handling generally is as good and the grip is way better with my new rubber. This weekend, I had a chance to give it full throttle on some deserted motorway and at the very top end (150mph +) the runflats handled better, I have to admit. The improvement in ride comfort was not as great as I was given to believe and given the choice again, I would not change for comfort reasons alone. However, there will be some second generation runflats to choose from in a year or so which promise to be better.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:00 PM
Changed from runflats to? Michelin Pilot Primacy. Agree that the reason you were given do not stand scrutiny. I have not bought myself a space saver spare (which IS a bit of a risk).
Which alloys are you running? 124s?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

no, 138's
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Feb 15 2005, 09:00 AM
Changed from runflats to? Michelin Pilot Primacy. Agree that the reason you were given do not stand scrutiny. I have not bought myself a space saver spare (which IS a bit of a risk).

[snapback]90386[/snapback]
What kind of RFT did you have before?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Yesterday my new Goodyear F1 tyres finally came in (more than 1 week to order)
I have 124's 245

Guess what?
I am driving a completely different car now!

At this time i only changed the front tires and I can assure you that it won't take long now to dump the rear goodyear rft's in order to be swapped for F1's as well. The difference is enormous, much much quieter and a whole lot softer on the front side. At first i had the impression that tyre pressure was low on the front because bumps on my daily road were absorped with no noise.
Of course tyre pressure was ok, the front is just comfortable now. The back feels like it's bouncing somewhere behind me with the runflats.

next thing to do is checking out how to fit a spare tyre in the boot of the Touring, since the space back there is not big enough to fit a spare wheel. Especially since the 535 needs 17"at the least because of it's bigger brakes. I prefer a real tyre instead of some pump thing or repair bottle since i don't want to be in the situation i've been in last week. I could simply not drive the car because of the puncture and the lack of a spare wheel.

Any suggestions on a spare tyre that will fit a 535 touring?

Quick Reply: Changing Run Flats