E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changing the Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

So my 550 only has 29k and the battery is SHIT!!! No surprise!
It is a 4 year old car...After extensive searching I found some who have
and others who have all sorts of problems DIY battery swap.
The Stealer tells me i don't drive enough! NICE EXCUSE!!! and that will be $500!!!
A Werker 95 battery is the best choice and fit but what about having it registered after
installation? I have spoke to a reputable source who says this is not BS and you need to
have it done!
Any insight would be great! Who has succesfully done this or do i bite the Bullet and
give money to the stealer? i would rather have 0 issues than an annoying random "I drive"
chime going off all the time

Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

I replaced one in a 335 and it is true about the registration piece. I have a Bav Tech scan tool an performed the registration through that. As for changing out the battery, no big deal. Just insure you hook up the monitors back to the battery too. By the way, I got the battery from Advanced Auto, fitment was perfect.

The theory behind the registration is resetting the system to insure that it keeps the correct flow back to the battery which insures it does not over/undercharge and shortens the life of the battery.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I have changed my battery thru the Dealer a few months ago. Set me back around $400. What I should have done is buy the battery and install them myself and just have the battery registered thru the Dealer. GL
Old 07-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I received a low battery indicator a few days back but I was too late and it died this morning. After getting it jumped I dropped it off at my local dealership and got quoted $300-350 (for the battery, installation, and registration) depending on what battery the tech decides to use. Autozone had one for $155 (duralast) but my dealer wouldn't install a non bmw battery. I never changed the battery before and was told that they generally last 3-5 years.

Might as well pay it, it really isn't too much if you think about it. I'd rather have the peace of mind of having it registered correctly.

2005 545i
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

This subject keeps cropping up - a search will illustrate the different opinions offered.There are valid reasons documented for going with the dealer/registration route.However,if you are replacing the battery with an identical TYPE (e.g. AGM) and identical capacity,a DIY job without dealer registration is unlikely to present major problems.At the end of the day,the choice is yours.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Contributors

So many threads about this topic. From experience, replaced same identical oem battery without registration--battery died in about a year. I strongly suggest registering! Unless you want to test your luck and maybe get longer than a year without registering.

Originally Posted by tooltec
This subject keeps cropping up - a search will illustrate the different opinions offered.There are valid reasons documented for going with the dealer/registration route.However,if you are replacing the battery with an identical TYPE (e.g. AGM) and identical capacity,a DIY job without dealer registration is unlikely to present major problems.At the end of the day,the choice is yours.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Contributors

The print label on the last oem dealer's battery I installed says "made by Exide".
Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by nonford
I replaced one in a 335 and it is true about the registration piece. I have a Bav Tech scan tool an performed the registration through that. As for changing out the battery, no big deal. Just insure you hook up the monitors back to the battery too. By the way, I got the battery from Advanced Auto, fitment was perfect.

The theory behind the registration is resetting the system to insure that it keeps the correct flow back to the battery which insures it does not over/undercharge and shortens the life of the battery.
What version of the Bav Tech Scan Tool do you have, Professional or Enthusiastic ? Is that true, only Professional version supports coding ?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If you buy an aftermarket battery, will the dealer register it anyway? I contacted a local indepentent and they won't even install my brake pads because it's not OEM.

This is a longshot, is thre a DIY or some secret button sequence on the iDrive that helps you register the battery?

Balbs
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by balbs
If you buy an aftermarket battery, will the dealer register it anyway? I contacted a local indepentent and they won't even install my brake pads because it's not OEM.

This is a longshot, is thre a DIY or some secret button sequence on the iDrive that helps you register the battery?

Balbs
I doubt it. You need to get the Bav Tech scan tool at a minimum.....

Quick Reply: Changing the Battery