E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changed oem screen with 7" vga touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='552371' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:13 PM
nice..thanx for the pics...u must have some long arms..not sure if i would find that touch screen within comfortable/safe reach
Haha, I am 6 foot tall so maybe it helps.

I am in the process of retrofitting iBus to this car. I have already installed an E46 paddle shift steering wheel and have an iBus controller in the carputer. I am going to connect the steering wheel buttons directly to the car pc to control track selection / volume etc without interfering with the rest of the car. This will reduce the need to reach to the touchscreen as often.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I thought the new cars didn't use iBUS but the MOST interface.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

not bad...good job !
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='552396' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:35 PM
I thought the new cars didn't use iBUS but the MOST interface.
Correctomondo.... There is no iBus in these cars, its the MOST bus. Hence the need to retrofit my own mini iBus for carputer control. I replaced my original steering wheel with an E46 wheel so I could use its iBus buttons directly with the carputer. Otherwise if I try to use the MOST bus i would be changing tracks / volume etc on the headunit whenever I try to control the carputer.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Craggy' post='552403' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:40 PM
Correctomondo.... There is no iBus in these cars, its the MOST bus. Hence the need to retrofit my own mini iBus for carputer control. I replaced my original steering wheel with an E46 wheel so I could use its iBus buttons directly with the carputer. Otherwise if I try to use the MOST bus i would be changing tracks / volume etc on the headunit whenever I try to control the carputer.
I still don't get it. Why change the wheel? Surely the button are mechanical and its where there are connected that make the difference. OK I understand that you are going to have your own iBus but surely you could just use the same buttons and connect up your new iBUS interface to the existing buttons. Its not like the buttons on the wheel have a MOST interface built into the wheel, they much connect into the car's MOST.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by Craggy' post='552362' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:03 AM
Here, lighting is a bit tricky as its dusk outside.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Craggy' post='551841' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:51 PM
I am looking for the wiring pinouts for the oem rgb signal going in the original screen to wire it to the rgb input of me new 7" touch screen so I can get my iDirve back. I have the wire coming from the back of the head unit but cant find the pinouts anywhere.

help much appreciated.
See if any of the documents in the following post help out:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=103940

The first document is from the display screen manufacturer (Sharp) and shows the pins for the screen itself. Unfortunately, it looks like there are 6 pins for each color (18 total not including gnd.)

I may be completely in over my head here so please correct me if I'm wrong but either way, keep us posted on if that helps you out any...
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

OK...that's awesome. I want that on my iDrive screen!!!! Forget getting the iDrive update. Hahahaha!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Members

I still don't get it. Why change the wheel? Surely the button are mechanical and its where there are connected that make the difference. OK I understand that you are going to have your own iBus but surely you could just use the same buttons and connect up your new iBUS interface to the existing buttons. Its not like the buttons on the wheel have a MOST interface built into the wheel, they much connect into the car's MOST.
Nope, the buttons themselves are code generators. In the E46 the steeringwheel buttons have their own control circuit built into them. When you push a button each button generates a tiny unique voltage, much like a remote control for your tv, the control circuit built into the buttons reads this voltage and generates an iBus code and sends it through the 3wire iBus interface back to the body control module for relaying and interception by other iBus devices. (a carputer :-)

In the E60 the steering wheel is somewhat different, firstly yhe MOST bus is not as easily tapped into but secondly the buttons in the wheel are 3 seperate parts, the left and right buttons and the third, a button control circuit which also controls the airbag module in the steering wheel. To use the E60 wheel I would have had to disconnect the buttons from the rest of the MOST bus so as not to interfere with iDrive and radio controls etc. when using it for the carputer but to do this I would also be disconnecting the driver wheel airbag which is never a bright idea.

Solution.... replace the steering wheel with an E46 wheel, connect the airbag and keep it functional but build a mini iBus network between the E46 buttons and the carputer. Et voila, independant control of the carputer functions via the steering wheel while retaining a functional airbag.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Craggy, did the link I gave you in post #17 <{POST_SNAPBACK}>(click the arrow) help you out at all? Just wondering...

Quick Reply: Changed oem screen with 7" vga touch screen