E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Change how the SAT paddles works?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d -08 lots of goodies 120dA -06

Hi,
I just picked up my first e60, a 2008 535d with quite a lot of options, including SAT.
It seems odd to me is how the paddles of the SAT work, pushing the paddles forward changes down and pulling the paddles against you changes up, on both sides.
Is it possible to have the left side downshift and the right side up shift, regardless of what way you pull or push the paddle?
If that is not possible then i would like it to operate like the SMG in the M-cars, that way is much more logical and comfortable for me.
Im kind of hoping that there are some wires that can be swapped somewhere.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

My first suggestion would be to give it a little time and practice and see if you get used to how they work... the ability to shift up/down with the either hand does come in handy from time to time - particularly when turning (one of the shifters is generally at hand at any point in the turn). I've had my SAT retrofitted for the past 6 mos or so, and am totally fine with it now (vs. the new F10 up/down on different paddles)

Failing that, if you really want to try the change the behaviour I would start your investigation with the wiring harness that connects the paddle shifters to the SZL module... you might be able to connect both contact points for either the L or R paddle shifter to the same up/down shift connector at the SZL to achieve what you're trying to do. From the SZL to the tranny you are out of luck, as it is a single communication wire with different voltage levels indicating up vs. down shift.

Check online for a BMW WDS (wiring diagram) resource for info on the connectors and wiring, and also search for "SAT Retrofit" thread on this forum for a PDF of the service bulletin that corrects some of the pinout info for the SZL (if I recall correctly).

Let us know how your investigations go, as you are likely the first one to try this (that I've seen at least).
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Contributors

yes this is possible and i've done it.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by schulrog
yes this is possible and i've done it.
If your sig is up to date, then the 645 would have had the older pre-LCI type shifter (if I'm not mistaken). With those shifters (similar to 2007 and earlier E60's) it was much easier to retrofit the paddles and to change the behaviour of the shifter, as there were two separate wires for up/down shifts. With the new LCI type shifters, the up/down shifts are transmitted over a single wire, making the process more complex to change.

All that being said, if you have any pointers/links to how you made the change, it might help the OP get started.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Members

Thank you for your answers, i just checked out WDS and the SAT retrofit guides here and i can tell this is not a job for me, at least without extensive help from you guys
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Members

I have not given up on this just yet, i found a site that seems to sell custom cables that can change how the paddles work,
http://www.motivemods.com/BMW-Paddle...p/bmw-pa-r.htm
I will send them an email and see what their responds is.
Im not sure if im the only one interested in this but i will update the thread as i learn more.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by tsaros
I have not given up on this just yet, i found a site that seems to sell custom cables that can change how the paddles work,
http://www.motivemods.com/BMW-Paddle...p/bmw-pa-r.htm
I will send them an email and see what their responds is.
Im not sure if im the only one interested in this but i will update the thread as i learn more.
That site is associated with a member here schulrog. Shoot him a message.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - 07 X5 4.8 Sport, HUD, Cold Weather, Technology package, Premium Sound, Hitch, 214 Summer Wheels, 298 M Winter wheels Mods-M Steering wheel, LCI Tailights Sold to make room for future M5- 08 550 SpaceGray Msport, Fully Loaded, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Cold Weather, Htd Rear Seats, Sunshade, Logic 7/HD Radio, SAT, iPod, Lane Departure Warning, Fold Down Rear Seats Mods: Dinan ECU, V1 w/ concealed Display, Tint all around M5 Mirrors waiting Paint/Install RDsport Quad Exhaust waiting Install M5 style 166 wheels waiting install Sold - 07 550i

Originally Posted by Wpg550
My first suggestion would be to give it a little time and practice and see if you get used to how they work... the ability to shift up/down with the either hand does come in handy from time to time - particularly when turning (one of the shifters is generally at hand at any point in the turn). I've had my SAT retrofitted for the past 6 mos or so, and am totally fine with it now (vs. the new F10 up/down on different paddles)

Failing that, if you really want to try the change the behaviour I would start your investigation with the wiring harness that connects the paddle shifters to the SZL module... you might be able to connect both contact points for either the L or R paddle shifter to the same up/down shift connector at the SZL to achieve what you're trying to do. From the SZL to the tranny you are out of luck, as it is a single communication wire with different voltage levels indicating up vs. down shift.

Check online for a BMW WDS (wiring diagram) resource for info on the connectors and wiring, and also search for "SAT Retrofit" thread on this forum for a PDF of the service bulletin that corrects some of the pinout info for the SZL (if I recall correctly).

Let us know how your investigations go, as you are likely the first one to try this (that I've seen at least).
WPG50 Do you have any info on the retrofit? I would like to retrofit my early 08 550. Did you have to run wires to the paddles? Shoot me a PM if you don't mind.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Members

Link to the other thread where the retrofit is covered in detail...

SAT Retrofit

Long story short, I had to run wires but I also had a 3/07 build vs the 6/07 builds that you could order with the option (not sure if it makes a difference or not). There is a wiring harness from the paddles to the SZL, then separate wire run to the tranny control module.