E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ceramic brake pads - which brand do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

It is that simple, you just need to spray every 10 miles
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawk Ceramics and Zimmermanns just ordered. $260 for front set shipped.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Members

You're not going to beat OEM performance without upgrading the calipers. Pad/Rotor changes are for looks and ease of cleaning only! Personally, I've found the factory 535i sport wheels very easy to clean, provided you keep one or more good coats of carnuba wax on them. It's worth the effort, as you can then take a leaf blower and blow off more than 90% of the brake dust without ever touching the wheels in between washing/waxing!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Akebono & Zimmerman combo here. No problems and zero dust for about a year now.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I think there's a misconception here. I have R1 Concepts rotors (drilled) and Hawk HPS pads, and they work great. Now, there is a little less initial bite, but the braking performance is not compromised. I think some are mistaking a little less initial bite for less performance, not true. My brakes work perfectly fine, the car stops straight and true, and take no longer than with OEM pads/rotors. I would bet my stopping performance is improved over OEM since I have also added stainless brake lines and blue racing brake fluid, which might require more heat to reach peak effectiveness, but I've always been a late braker anyway, so I have no problem building heat in my brakes.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I am in need of replacing rotors and pads front and rear. I was thinking of going with Zimmerman rotors and oem pads. Is anyone running this setup? I hears Zimmerman Rotors were very reputable and although I hate the brake dust oem pads produce, I love the feel of the initial bite and overall brake feel of oem.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
I am in need of replacing rotors and pads front and rear. I was thinking of going with Zimmerman rotors and oem pads. Is anyone running this setup? I hears Zimmerman Rotors were very reputable and although I hate the brake dust oem pads produce, I love the feel of the initial bite and overall brake feel of oem.

amazon.com has BMW Genuine Front Brake Pads for E60 5 Series - 525i N52 SEDAN (2004 - 2006), 530i SEDAN (2002 - 2007) at $124.59+shipping

& the BMW Genuine Rear Brake Pads for E60 E61 5 Series - 525i 525xi 530i 530xi at $119.94+shipping

I had R1 Concepts BLANK rotors (E-Line OE Replacement Rotors) with Hawks HPS pads w/ new sensors. It squeaks during cold & when wet (car wash) but goes away after warming up. I get good amount of brake dust, but not excessive. After about 20-25k miles, i needed to change out the pads. Keeping the rotors, but just changing pads.

Your post made me think about debating between BMW oem pads, or Hawks HPS pads.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i
Default '07 530i Rotors servicing question

Wife's '07 530i with 84,000 highway miles showing pads service sign for the first time and here I am trying to figure out which way to go?

So would it be necessary to do the rotors at the same time or shall I just urn them as they are OEM?

I know I personally don't like brake dust but for wife I might just have to go with the OEM brake pads route?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by jayarras
Well, I went with the Akebonos and now notice a reduction in stopping power. I hope the promise of less brake dust is worth the trade off.
Well I posted this well over a year ago and can now say with certainty that the combination of Akebono pads with the Zimmerman rotors has been JUST AWESOME! Yes, they don't grip as well as OEM pads do (I'd say 85-90% though), but not having to constantly clean the brake dust off has been a real time-saver. I would highly recommend this combination to anyone.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jayarras
Well I posted this well over a year ago and can now say with certainty that the combination of Akebono pads with the Zimmerman rotors has been JUST AWESOME! Yes, they don't grip as well as OEM pads do (I'd say 85-90% though), but not having to constantly clean the brake dust off has been a real time-saver. I would highly recommend this combination to anyone.
Have you notice any noise/squeek/squeal from this combo, I had R1 Concepts rotors (drilled) and Hawk HPS pads, they looked great but the squeal drove me to go back to zimmerman rotors and OEM pads. Now I have a set of hardly used R1 concept rotors and pads in the garage If you get no squeal and less dust, I'd probably switch the pads to Akebono, cause the brake dust is just unreal with the OEM pads! I went as far as waxing my wheels special wax for wheels can't remember the name.

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads - which brand do you prefer?