E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ceramic brake pads - which brand do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I'm in the market for new brake pads and also need front rotors. Been doing some research on this board and opinions seem to vary as to the best brake pads to use. The three names I hear most often are Akebono, Axxis and Hawk. I assume there is no such thing as an OEM ceramic pad? My main criteria (besides stopping performance, of course) is LESS BRAKE DUST! I kinda gleaned that Akebono is best in this area, but I wanted to get some updated opinions on this.

I also heard mention that use of ceramic pads require rotors that can withstand the higher temperatures that they throw out. Can anyone verify this? If that's the case, what brand of rotors do you recommend?

I love to hear your opinions on this.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Akebono pads a few months ago with less dust and I don't have any stopping issues.As far as rotors, I installed Zimmerman. No problems noted. I listen to members on this forum and this combination was well noted. It works for me.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Members

I went with akebono and r1 concepts spotted and drilled motors. I have way less brake dust but less bite.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by panda1
I installed the Akebono pads a few months ago with less dust and I don't have any stopping issues.As far as rotors, I installed Zimmerman. No problems noted. I listen to members on this forum and this combination was well noted. It works for me.
I'm looking at the Zimmerman rotors as well. Thanks.

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
I have way less brake dust but less bite.
That's what I had heard the trade-off is. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Less bite confirmed

Originally Posted by atlninerfan
I went with akebono and r1 concepts spotted and drilled motors. I have way less brake dust but less bite.
Well, I went with the Akebonos and now notice a reduction in stopping power. I hope the promise of less brake dust is worth the trade off.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jayarras
Well, I went with the Akebonos and now notice a reduction in stopping power. I hope the promise of less brake dust is worth the trade off.
My car stops just fine. Like I said before, you will notice less stopping power but that's what you get with ceramic pads.

Now I can go 3-4 weeks without having to clean my wheels. It used to be every 3 days. Worth it for me.

Last edited by atlninerfan; 10-03-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
New Members

I went with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk ceramic brake pads on my old car, and I will do the same on the car I have today once it's time to change the brakes. It was a lot less brake dust better stopping power and a longer lifetime(more miles) so I only have positive feedbak.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic brake pads - which brand do you prefer?-dsc00457.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Who all sells the Hawks? I need some rear pads
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I find it hard to believe the Hawk ceramic pads would outperform the OEM pads. I have always found the OEM pads provide a lot more bite than any other pad I have used in the past. Even with that being said, I still used the Axxis Deluxe pads for my 545 but I'm going back to OEM for the M5.

If you prefer the OEM pads just pickup some Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner and plan to spray every once in a while to keep your wheels looking like new.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Akebono vs. Hawk

Originally Posted by socale39
I find it hard to believe the Hawk ceramic pads would outperform the OEM pads. I have always found the OEM pads provide a lot more bite than any other pad I have used in the past.
I don't think that's what he was saying. You're right, ceramic pads are never going to ever outperform OEM pads.

Originally Posted by socale39
If you prefer the OEM pads just pickup some Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner and plan to spray every once in a while to keep your wheels looking like new.
If only it were that simple...

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads - which brand do you prefer?