E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Which rotors are better?
Centric premium
57.14%
R1 Concept Premium
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Centric vs R1 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Drilled and slotted centric premium rotors ordered from Anthony@BimmerBrakes (aka the most patient vendor ever Thanks again, brother!!!)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

WOOT!

VT,

Hawks HPS is a Light-Mild Tracking Pads. I have had them on the track before and after awhile they burned up on me. As long as you know the are Light Track Pads and take it easy you should be fine

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
WOOT!

VT,

Hawks HPS is a Light-Mild Tracking Pads. I have had them on the track before and after awhile they burned up on me. As long as you know the are Light Track Pads and take it easy you should be fine

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Yes, I have that in mind. I don't plan on doing anything "heavy" to the car (aside from modding ) anyway. I do track-type events maybe 10 times a year - IF that many. And most of those do not require heavy braking.

BTW what is the generally expected life span of Centric Premium Rotors (drilled and slotted) in miles? And the lifespan of Hawk HPS pads under "mixed" use (occasional track-like drive once or twice a month)? Anyone know?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributors

So I got a knock on the door just a few mins ago and whaddayaknow! Its the UPS guy with my Hawk Pads

You know what, Tire Rack FTMFW YO!
(check out the date on the invoice - OVERNIGHT! without the overnight shipping requested! That's friggin excellent!)
Centric vs R1 Concept-photo.jpg

Now just waiting for the sensors and rotors to show up. Gonna need some caliper paint too...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Contributors

Sensors showed up today too woohoo

PS I noticed on the box from Hawk pads it says "lifetime warranty" - how does that work exactly, anyone know?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

WOOT! Can't wait to see this get put all together...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
WOOT! Can't wait to see this get put all together...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
you better believe I'm going to the shop armed with the DSLR and some caliper paint
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Vlad - I cannot speak to the Centric pads/rotors, I have used R1 on 3 different cars and they have been excellent (currently on my wifes Subaru). Good luck bro
Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Vlad - I cannot speak to the Centric pads/rotors, I have used R1 on 3 different cars and they have been excellent (currently on my wifes Subaru). Good luck bro
Thanks John!

Centric use the same blanks that R1 use, so its basically just the difference of the coating, drilling and slotting technologies - which, I believe, are actually about the same on either. R1 Concepts, however, spends a pretty hefty amount of money on advertising, marketing and PR - this is, and I am purely speculating here of course, why their products cost much more. I'm not saying that either of these products is superior though - just sharing my observations and what motivated me to go with Centric at the end of the day.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks John!

Centric use the same blanks that R1 use, so its basically just the difference of the coating, drilling and slotting technologies - which, I believe, are actually about the same on either. R1 Concepts, however, spends a pretty hefty amount of money on advertising, marketing and PR - this is, and I am purely speculating here of course, why their products cost much more. I'm not saying that either of these products is superior though - just sharing my observations and what motivated me to go with Centric at the end of the day.

What is the total of the rotor/pads pkg going to run you Vlad? Let us know how they work out for you. I just had my front brakes replaced by the dealer (gotta love the maint warranty), but they still squeak, so since my maint warranty will be up before I need new rotors and pads again I may just say "screw it" and get an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Centric vs R1 Concept