E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CDV

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Hi,
I've read about what the CDV does and the reason why it's in our cars. My question is about deleting it. Would this be a worthwhile mod? Would I notice the difference? Does anyone here have any experience on this cars before and after the CDV delete mod?

Thanks,
Henry
Old 09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I havent owned one with the CDV removed but have driven one and yes its a worthwile mod... Easy Cheap and makes the clutch engagement much more linear. I would suggest removing the CDV... its a simple mod and if you dont like it put it back... but I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

I had the Rogue SSK and the modded CDV put in this past weekend. You were right. It feels like a different car. The shifts are much more positive now. It's not vague like it used ot be. There is a positive click as I engage each gear. The throw is much shorter and the feel is much better.

The modded CDV is great. I no longer have the jerkiness in the first to second gear shift. The cluch action is much smoother. I wish the car came like this from the factory. Before the modded CDV, I would drive and watch my passenger's head bob back and forth as I shifter. I would have to delay for a couple of seconds on the 1-2 shift just to avoid that. Now I don't have to do that anymore. I just shift and it's a smooth clean pull. Another good thing is that it looks exactly like the original CDV so if I ever have to go in for warranty work or anything like a clutch under my maintenance plan, I don't have to worry about the dealer voiding anything because of the missing CDV.

I didn't think that these two items would make such a difference in the way the car felt and shifted.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Oh man, I can't wait to get those 2 mods on my car. They're next on my list. Glad to hear a positive experience from you.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Contributors

I hated the way my new car shifted, and the CDV replacement made a HUGE difference. I had a local mechanic do it, and he said he spent more time removing the cover under the engine than replacing the valve.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='475547' date='Sep 28 2007, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I've read about what the CDV does and the reason why it's in our cars. My question is about deleting it. Would this be a worthwhile mod? Would I notice the difference? Does anyone here have any experience on this cars before and after the CDV delete mod?

Thanks,
Henry
+1 on all other comments.

If you are going to do the CDV, I recommend doing a SSK at the same time. You will enjoy the differences.

al
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

i got the CDV removed and it seems better, but not as dramatic as some of you have said, maybe i just get used to it =P
always want to try the SSK but don't seem they have one for the 525i...
anyone use the shorter shifter found on the z4 m? i saw someone use it and like it, it's about 1" shorter and makes the shift even better (based on what i heard).
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='479609' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:28 PM
I had the Rogue SSK and the modded CDV put in this past weekend. You were right. It feels like a different car. The shifts are much more positive now. It's not vague like it used ot be. There is a positive click as I engage each gear. The throw is much shorter and the feel is much better.

The modded CDV is great. I no longer have the jerkiness in the first to second gear shift. The cluch action is much smoother. I wish the car came like this from the factory. Before the modded CDV, I would drive and watch my passenger's head bob back and forth as I shifter. I would have to delay for a couple of seconds on the 1-2 shift just to avoid that. Now I don't have to do that anymore. I just shift and it's a smooth clean pull. Another good thing is that it looks exactly like the original CDV so if I ever have to go in for warranty work or anything like a clutch under my maintenance plan, I don't have to worry about the dealer voiding anything because of the missing CDV.

I didn't think that these two items would make such a difference in the way the car felt and shifted.

Thanks,
Henry
Henry - sorry to be a bother...but I just ordered a manual shift 535i and would like to know what the CDV and SSK are that you are referencing above? I have changed out shifter linkage in past Mustangs to a "short throw" shifter and it was a tremendous improvement in the shifting....can you elaborate?

thx!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

SSK = short shift kit, not sure if they have one for the 535i or not, the most popular one seems to be Rouge and UUC (at least these are the main ones discuss here).
CDV = clutch delay valve, it's a little metal piece that if you alter it, it will give you a smoother clutch engagement.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/
they sell modified CDV and you bring it to a shop and have them swap out the factory one. Not sure the technical aspect of how it works, but do a search on CDV either here or bimmerfest and there are lots of info on this.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='479892' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:11 PM
anyone use the shorter shifter found on the z4 m? i saw someone use it and like it, it's about 1" shorter and makes the shift even better (based on what i heard).
I have just the knob from this vehicle and really like it. Weighted, shorter, and feels much better to me (plus I like the look). It's nice for a knob, but it's no SSK...

Quick Reply: CDV