E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CarPC in E61 - IVI System

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks

...so i would like to share my car-pc experience with you. I am using ArCom-IVI CarPC System with the touchscreen and rotary controller.
It is a complete system: download, install and go!

Requirement:
- CPU: Intel Atom* or Intel Core* 2 CPU (support for SSSE3)
Note: It will not work on non-SSSE3 CPUs
- Touchscreen or rotary controller.

It is based on MeeGo IVI platform, but has better UX :-)
See some screenshots attached.
As you can see I am using a separate Touchscreen TFT. I wanted to use a video converter with the OEM screen, but the video signal is not the best, and if i change my car, well, I have to buy another converter, so it is not too flexible. My dream is, one day car manufacturers will offer as an option a dash, that will have a ISO mounting place for TFTs like this, so it would be seamlessly integrated; or even better there will be external video signal input(DVI, LVDS) for such applications and a standard switch for this; or the best, OEM system will have app-like connector to install own applications(actually GENIVI is working this direction I hope). For now they are only dreams

So the hardware that i'm using is:
CTF400 - VGA 7" TFT
Intel D945GCLF
BT Dongle
BT GPS Mouse
Rotary Controller

It is a very simple, you just download the system, burn it on the USB stick and install the system from it. And it works.
Right now there is:
Music and Navigation, but updates are already planned, so things like video, bt phone, wlan are available in the next few months.

I will keep extending this thread with further Information/Updates on Software and Hardware.

cheers
simon
Attached Thumbnails CarPC in E61 - IVI System-main_view.png   CarPC in E61 - IVI System-music_view.png   CarPC in E61 - IVI System-navi_view.png   CarPC in E61 - IVI System-navi_search_view.png   CarPC in E61 - IVI System-navi_search_view_results.png  

CarPC in E61 - IVI System-20101116_002.jpg   CarPC in E61 - IVI System-20101116_004.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 530xi sw

Thank you for sharing. This is so cool. I would love to install one on my car...

Looking forward to detail DIY info.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´m into this too. Just bought a via Ex1500 m.board. It has composite out, s-video out, dvi, rgb so I can run screens i backseat as well as my 7".
I am buying piece by piece to keep the cost at a reasonable level.

Right now I am looking for the best place for the 7".I will order a laser cut custom panel to fit the seat heating as well as the screen and rebuild my centre console. I got a set of multi contour seats and a LCI center console to experiment with. Looks like winter will be busy.

I found a chinese manufacturer who seems to have a screen w touch control that replaces the oem screen but havent tried it. I will keep my idrive screen too. Better not mess with that system.

Whwere did you put the rotary controler and the computer case? I would like to put it in the cd changer compartment.
Have you connected it to the stereo aux or to amp directly? I got the aux cable, just need activation at the dealers. Are you running backseat sceens too?

What is the main concern when I start taking the car apart and begin installing?