E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Carbon fiber trim installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Ordered a full carbon fiber trim set this week and installed half of the pieces today. I still have to do the doors and I'm personally scared to mess them up or break something off. Got the package quick, but as soon as I take out the first piece there is a half a inch large scratch right above the air vent. I expect something new to be flawless and it bothers me its scratched. I've contacted the guy to see what he can do, we'll see what happens. That piece went in ok, but the center trim was a absolute pain in the ass. Managed to get the old one off, and I attached the trim to find out the ashtray cover didn't slide(I should have checked before putting it on). Then I realize that the idrive knob is not held in by anything! The bracket that the menu button goes into is non-exsistant on the new trim compared to how it slides from OEM. So basically the menu button would be loose! I take off the trim and one of the nail comes off.

I had no other choice but to sacrifice part of the old trim, I had to cut it out with a band saw and then sand down the thickness of the old trim thin enough to glue back. Got it down thin enough, and glued the menu button housing and nail back on to the new trim with some Gorilla glue. Got the trim in place and the menu button hole is still too big but at least it doesn't move around, there is still about a 2mm gap around. Here are some pics, maybe I'll crazy and do the door trim next. Not sure I can recommend this trim to people after having to modify the menu button on to the new trim. I guess thats the price you pay for not buying OEM parts. I will say the quality of the carbon is good though.
Name:  zrDos.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  245.1 KB
Name:  gwHBd.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  211.8 KB
Old 07-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Crap! sorry to hear this man, im actually thinking of getting a set but now after seeing this i have second thoughts. Do you think its worth and should i risk it. The scratch is very visible
Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Contributors

I'd say I just had bad luck on the scratch, maybe I'll try to buff it out. If your willing to cut the menu housing off some old trim it might be worth it.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

i cant cut my oem trim becuase im selling it. The button part is maybe made for this kind of menu and voice activation button, maybe its bigger for this certain button:

I have the same button
Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Contributors

I'd probably stick with the trim you have then, it looks awesome anyways!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

i really want the CF donèt know what to do now.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
i cant cut my oem trim becuase im selling it. The button part is maybe made for this kind of menu and voice activation button, maybe its bigger for this certain button:

I have the same button

damn interior looks sick!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

good luck installing the carbon on the doors. when i bought my carbon fiber kit i installed it on the doors, the plastic part was very frail and cracked before i even tried putting it on. the part that wholes the flat screw. and my door trim pieces where sticking out a little bit, so after a few months of the carbon fiber i switchedto brush aluminum and I am very happy with it. good luck on the rest of the install.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

HEY..INDYREDBEAST....were did u got the idrive button with the AUBURN color leather on it??..i have same interior color...auburn...and i need to have the top center console...auburn like yours..
can somone...give the exact part number...i will order it right the way...
thx...

p.s,...NICE INTERIOR PICTURES..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

guys that pic i posted isn't my car lol, i just posted to show the different button. I think the i-drive was custom made. M5board memers car.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber trim installed