E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Carbon fiber roof wrap????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

meh. i'm partial to black roof.
Old 07-21-2010 | 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Thanks for all the feedback... Just placed my order will post pix after its completed.
Old 07-23-2010 | 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Don't go with the CF vinyl look, specially if you have true exterior CF parts. I was about to put it in the roof of my E46 M3, but due to the cheap look of the CF vinyl compared to the CF diffuser and front spoiler i chose the black gloss color. Not only matched better with the sunroof, but gave a sportier look without entering in the ricey field.
Old 07-23-2010 | 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

I worked wuite a lot with Di-Noc CF-wrap and the only thing that bugs m e is that this wrap has a matte finish instead of real carbon with glossy finish.
When you take a look at the already wrapped roof from a distance you will think it's matte black instead of cf..
but maybe it's possible to create the glossy finish with a certain amount of clear coats

Anyway, Di-Noc is nice, but would not fit the other, real carbon parts..
Old 07-23-2010 | 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

I really like the fact that it looks matte black from afar, then when you get closer to the car you notice the texture. personally, i would not have used it if it was glossy.

it is also great because it is a lot more scratch-resistant than the glossy or matte vinyl. i liked it so much that i was going to do my fireplace mantle in black di-noc
Old 07-24-2010 | 01:37 AM
Senior Members

You think that way because you like better the Matte look over the CF look. True CF is glossy and has nothing to do with the look of that vinyl called "Carbon Fibre" just for comercial proposes. Put a real CF piece close to that vinyl and you will realize how bad it looks. I even think that it is worst than having a bone stock 520i car with M5 badges.

Add that vinyl in the roof with sunroof and then you can call it ricey. Now being serious, with that vinyl you need to have very careful with the theme of the exterior look, or it will look bad. It seems to look better in non-metallic and silver colors.
Old 07-24-2010 | 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tiago
You think that way because you like better the Matte look over the CF look. True CF is glossy and has nothing to do with the look of that vinyl called "Carbon Fibre" just for comercial proposes. Put a real CF piece close to that vinyl and you will realize how bad it looks. I even think that it is worst than having a bone stock 520i car with M5 badges.

Add that vinyl in the roof with sunroof and then you can call it ricey. Now being serious, with that vinyl you need to have very careful with the theme of the exterior look, or it will look bad. It seems to look better in non-metallic and silver colors.

well real true cf is not glossy.. they just put clear coat to make it glossy...
if you havent seen this vinyl, it is very good and very close to carbon since i compared them right next to my hood and really cant tell the difference..

time to make my roof black sometime soon!!!
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M5

The vinly is a more replica of the Dry CF. I would go ahead with the mod but I agree with Tiago in the sense that if you have real gloss CF, Then the dry CF vinly wont look so good, so maybe wrap some other pieces and the real CF pieces aswell< GL
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

I guess you have never seen real carbon fiber. carbon fiber is a fabric (similar to fiberglass). you add gel coating to the fabric to make it stiff and then clear-coat to make it shiny/glossy. i've been seeing more and more carbon that has been made to a matte finish.... just as a different look or to match matte-colored cars.

I have actually worked with real carbon fiber in the past: including wrapping subwoofer boxes and an wrapping an entire motorcycle's fairings.

personally, i prefer the look and feel of the di-noc vinyl for this specific application. there are several advantages over the real carbon:

1. it'll never crack like some of the clear-coat on carbon fiber does.
2. it won't turn yellow
3. it's easily reversible
4. it's easier to apply and much cheaper

i don't compare the carbon vinyl to real carbon fiber. for this application, real carbon fiber was never a choice as it is not reversible. to me, it's an alternative to matte or glossy vinyl.

if adding it to my roof make me 'ricey' in your opinion.. that is okay. i'm chinese and eat TONS of it anyway

cheers!
Old 07-26-2010 | 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34
well real true cf is not glossy.. they just put clear coat to make it glossy...
if you havent seen this vinyl,
I know pretty well the process of making CF parts, and the clear coating makes part of it. What you are saying is the same than painting a car without clear coating in the end.

As i said before i was about to chose the di-noc vinyl, but when i saw entire warpped Audi Q7 and CLS55, i changed my mind. God bless i've seen those cars before installing in my car. Besides, black gloss matches with the sunroof glass color so i couldn't be happier with the result. But is not my money or my car, so spent it in your best taste.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber roof wrap????