E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

can anyone vouch for any of these subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
In my experience, you will be underpowering that subwoofer by using the MRP M500 amp. The woofer you have features a dual voice coil which gives you alternative wiring options, but I would suggest running it at 4 ohms and not 2 ohms. The MRP M500 only offers 300 Watts @ 4 ohms, which is underpowering the woofer. You need to be running more like 600 Watts to that woofer at 4 ohms to get the sort of performance you desire.

I suggest you get the PDX-M6 amp. It offers 600 Watts @ 4 ohms.

I can tell you that it is far better to overpower a speaker and run the amp cooler, than to underpower it and drive the amp to it's limits. When an amplifier plays to it's limits, the liklihood of distortion increases. Distorted audio causes a speaker's voice coil to overheat which will cause damage over time.

I am running 750 Watts to my subwoofer, even though the "recommended" max power is 500 Watts. But my amp is set to a low gain and I have lots of headroom. This is much better than running a smaller amp very hard to achieve the same loudness.
+1
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by spediegunz
ahh I guess I should say the answer you have given me is something I trully knew already deep inside I was just hoping you were going to say its ok to be cheap this time smh..... let me ask you a question about how many watts do you think I'm getting right now with my current setup at 1 ohm when the amp gives you 350 at 2

In theory, every time you drop the impedance by half, the effective wattage doubles. However, you must keep in mind that I said "in theory." Not all amps are capable of running at 1 ohm stable. Only high-current amps designed for the purpose of low impedance loads are up to that challenge. Typically, these types of amps were used in car audio competitions for Max SPL per watt. Sometimes they were called "cheater" amps because they allowed the user to compete in a low watt class, but get more loudness.

So... if you had one of these high-end amplifiers that can truly run comfortably at 1 ohm, then you would be getting 350 W x 2 = 700 Watts.

In reality, the amp you have can't run at 1 ohm comfortably, so it will probably do one or more of the following things:

1. It will probably get VERY hot.
2. It might turn on some internal protection mode which either shuts off the amp, or limits the output.
3. It will likely begin to clip the audio signal, which in turn will cause the speaker's voice coil to get hot.
4. Over time, a speaker with overheated voice coil can be damaged.
5. The overall sound quality of the stereo system will be dimished.

Edit: I was just looking at your amp on Alpine's website. Here are the specs:

Features and Specification
SPECIFICATIONS

CEA-2006 Power Ratings CEA-200
Power Rating: (4 I? @14.4V ?% THD+N, S/N: 75dBA, ref:1W into 4 I?) 300W x 1

RMS Power Ratings Per channel into 4 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ?%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 300W x 1
Per channel into 2 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ?%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 500W x 1

Considering that info above, I think you're only getting about 500 Watts when running at 2 ohms. I don't think this amp is going to give you any more than 500 Watts, no matter how hard you push it. My feeling is that 500 Watts would be pushing this amp harder than recommended.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

@ Nelson29 I don't think I ever noticed you were in Orlando. Who did your audio system? I had mine done at Ultimate Audio, and been very pleased thus far.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

Edit: I was just looking at your amp on Alpine's website. Here are the specs:

Features and Specification
SPECIFICATIONS

CEA-2006 Power Ratings CEA-200
Power Rating: (4 I? @14.4V ?% THD+N, S/N: 75dBA, ref:1W into 4 I?) 300W x 1

RMS Power Ratings Per channel into 4 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ?%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 300W x 1
Per channel into 2 Ohms: (@ 14.4V ?%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz) 500W x 1

Considering that info above, I think you're only getting about 500 Watts when running at 2 ohms. I don't think this amp is going to give you any more than 500 Watts, no matter how hard you push it. My feeling is that 500 Watts would be pushing this amp harder than recommended.
Is this info in reference to my current mrp-m350, or the one I wanted to get the mrp-m500?

Btw the amp does over heat and if played at higher volume would eventually cut out until I reset it. I have the gain set all the way low on it and the bass setting on the idrive low as well but that sub is so terrific that it still shines under those conditions and the inappropriate amp that is also wired incorrectly.
I'm going to take your advise and pick up the pdx m6 but I'm trying to find a used one to cut on cost.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

The W7 are very nice subwoofers, but I agree with you that they are built first for SPL and second for sound quality.
I have used the W6 series JL Audio woofers for the past 15+ years and they have always served me well.
I admit that the W6 woofer is very power-hungry, but that's never been an issue for me. I like having high-powered systems with lots of headroom to spare.
Hm interesting point of view. W7 were designed for SQ first and for everything else second. JL audio made some modifications to W7 and use them in their home subs. Notice they used W7 as the base model not anything else. W7 is the best JL audio driver for car audio application, period (pro sealed box, not HO vented). When I purchased my W7 back in ~2004/05 all of my friends wanted to get one. Some considered dual W6, but once compared to single 1 W7 side by side the choice was obvious.
http://www.jlaudio.com/cls112rg-w7-c...-systems-93036
http://www.jlaudio.com/cvs212rg-w6v2...-systems-93065
You have more headroom (higher SPL) with 2 W6 of the same size but not the SQ. When ID (internet direct) companies showed up on horizon with home audio subs (i.e. svs audio, epik, ED) many didn't appreciate the SQ as they got used to listen to high harmonic distortions. Once you get used to high quality bass (low distortions) you can easily pinpoint flaws in lower quality subs. I am not saying W6 are not capable subs, they are, it is just that W7 is in the league of it's own (JL audio subs only).
I have 2 12" Type R alpine subs in my wife's car and they are fine. I have mrp-m850 that drives both of them. I believe they are 4 Ohms connected in parallel for 2Ohm load. For the amp I will look into some old school amps on ebay/craigslist. You can find a bargain there or a broken one

Most modern sub amps use class D amplifier design. The real world efficiency can go up to 85%. Look at the fuse size on the amp. Continuous power = (fuse amp rating x voltage at the amp connector) x (efficiency). Some amps like the old school Xtant X1001 take no less than 0 gauge and don't even have build in fuse holders. Instead they recommend to use external fuse (120A). You have to see real measurements done with laboratory equipment (i.e. Audio Precision 2722 with dummy load or similar) to know what the real power output is.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

@ Nelson29 I don't think I ever noticed you were in Orlando. Who did your audio system? I had mine done at Ultimate Audio, and been very pleased thus far.
You got very bad memory brother We used to post a lot in the same audio threads a couple of years ago. You knew i was in Orlando I got my system done with Octave in Winter Park.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Is this info in reference to my current mrp-m350, or the one I wanted to get the mrp-m500?

Btw the amp does over heat and if played at higher volume would eventually cut out until I reset it. I have the gain set all the way low on it and the bass setting on the idrive low as well but that sub is so terrific that it still shines under those conditions and the inappropriate amp that is also wired incorrectly.
I'm going to take your advise and pick up the pdx m6 but I'm trying to find a used one to cut on cost.
Those are the M500 specs.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
You got very bad memory brother We used to post a lot in the same audio threads a couple of years ago. You knew i was in Orlando I got my system done with Octave in Winter Park.

Doh!!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom
Hm interesting point of view. W7 were designed for SQ first and for everything else second. JL audio made some modifications to W7 and use them in their home subs. Notice they used W7 as the base model not anything else. W7 is the best JL audio driver for car audio application, period (pro sealed box, not HO vented). When I purchased my W7 back in ~2004/05 all of my friends wanted to get one. Some considered dual W6, but once compared to single 1 W7 side by side the choice was obvious.
http://www.jlaudio.com/cls112rg-w7-c...-systems-93036
http://www.jlaudio.com/cvs212rg-w6v2...-systems-93065
You have more headroom (higher SPL) with 2 W6 of the same size but not the SQ. When ID (internet direct) companies showed up on horizon with home audio subs (i.e. svs audio, epik, ED) many didn't appreciate the SQ as they got used to listen to high harmonic distortions. Once you get used to high quality bass (low distortions) you can easily pinpoint flaws in lower quality subs. I am not saying W6 are not capable subs, they are, it is just that W7 is in the league of it's own (JL audio subs only).
I have 2 12" Type R alpine subs in my wife's car and they are fine. I have mrp-m850 that drives both of them. I believe they are 4 Ohms connected in parallel for 2Ohm load. For the amp I will look into some old school amps on ebay/craigslist. You can find a bargain there or a broken one

Most modern sub amps use class D amplifier design. The real world efficiency can go up to 85%. Look at the fuse size on the amp. Continuous power = (fuse amp rating x voltage at the amp connector) x (efficiency). Some amps like the old school Xtant X1001 take no less than 0 gauge and don't even have build in fuse holders. Instead they recommend to use external fuse (120A). You have to see real measurements done with laboratory equipment (i.e. Audio Precision 2722 with dummy load or similar) to know what the real power output is.

Hmm....Its tough...I previously came from a W6 and can tell you that the SQ is definitely there. I think a more fair comparison would be to say that the bass is different on a W6 then a W7. A W6 will yield punchy bass where as the W7 is more like a rumble. Personally I like the punchy bass better but I guess it's a matter of preference.