E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CALLING OUT ALL 545i/645i/550i/650i/745i/750i

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still looking for hard numbers before I commit.

Good question brought up was where are they doing the mods at?
I really don't want to send my car somewhere and just wait months for it to be finished. Somewhere outsourced and local?
Patently waiting a responce.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='667127' date='Sep 11 2008, 11:14 AM
A water to air inter-cooler integrated into a custom intake manifold.
WHat type of inter-cooler core is used, plate or laminova type?

Is this an Eaton blower? What size unit is this? What is the max psi on the unit? $9.5K for an Eaton is a kinda crazy, At that price why not use the more efficient lysholm type unit?

The heat exchanger for the inter-cooler looks good. How much does this restrict the air flow to the stock radiator? Will a bigger radiator be needed to prevent over heating especially in warmer months of climates?

The throttle body looks cramped. Is the surge valve that tiny bosch type unit?

Who will do the tuning for this kit?

Looks very promising.

BP
High density fin heat exchanger core plate. Our engineers believe you have to use too many Laminova units to match the same cooling capacity as a traditional heat exchanger plate. The Lamniova is however ideal to use in application where space is very limited. With the V8 application we have plenty of room for a high capacity plate core.

Is this an Eaton blower? What size unit is this? What is the max psi on the unit? $9.5K for an Eaton is a kinda crazy, At that price why not use the more efficient lysholm type unit?
We use the Eaton M90 supercharger. Max psi is 8-9 psi. However the engine is the limiting factor and with stock compression we could not safely boost over 6-7 psi. We are staying safe with 5-6 psi. There is no point using the Lysholm which is well suited for high boost applications. We also prefer Eaton as they produce kits for OEMs such as Lotus, TRD and Ford. The $9500 is not just for the Eaton Supercharger. It comes with everything listed on the first page. Also, the pricing is at $7125

The heat exchanger for the inter-cooler looks good. How much does this restrict the air flow to the stock radiator? Will a bigger radiator be needed to prevent over heating especially in warmer months of climates?
The BMW 5/6/7 & X series N62 V8 motors all have a lot of space around the front radiator. The VF heat exchanger upfront does not restrict air to the engine coolant rad becuase the air cavity in this area is so large, that the oncoming air takes the path of least resistance and is also ducted around as well as straight into our radiator. We use the same heat exchanger on the E46 M3 which runs hotter due to a tighter packed engine bady and the Porsche 996/7 supercharger kits. The V8s however benefit from a large electric fan on the coolant rad which is an added benefit.

The compact packaging does not effect the performance. The Surge valve is actuated by the black "pot" called a bypass valve actuator. The surge valve is a throttle body built into the supercharger and spec'd by Eaton based on the volumetric efficiency of the unit. It is not Bosch and is made by Eaton.

GIAC will be doing the ECU upgrade on this project. Also, VF Engineering will be installing the supercharger.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by andy545' post='667276
Think I just messed my pants

Originally Posted by 545isheff' post='667932
I'm seriously intrested.
I would like some hard numbers on wtf this is actually going to perform?
I would like to know how this is going to stress my trans and any other parts on my ride?
I have the cash. but don't want to get into something that is going to blow up my ride.

Audi Eatter (and with this mod eatting most other cars too )
1. no hard numbers just yet (450-500 CRANK HP)
2. Keeping the HP 500 or less will be fine
3. Shouldn't blow up your ride unless you are boosting way more than 5psi.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='668262
is the install going to be in CA or they will also have people going to NY/NJ/CT for the install as well? I am not shipping my car and wait months....
VF will install it to anyone who drives or ships their car to them. It will not take one month to install...about 1-2 days.

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='668479' date='Sep 13 2008, 01:21 AM
If you will have 500 HP you won't use them often: on the road you won't be able to go the max, otherwise a) tickets b) risks of accidents, due the slowest (than you) congestion.

So don't worry too much for your transmission

Different story if you'll go on track every sunday for 3-4 hours...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='671939' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:37 PM
High density fin heat exchanger core plate. Our engineers believe you have to use too many Laminova units to match the same cooling capacity as a traditional heat exchanger plate. The Lamniova is however ideal to use in application where space is very limited. With the V8 application we have plenty of room for a high capacity plate core.

We use the Eaton M90 supercharger. Max psi is 8-9 psi. However the engine is the limiting factor and with stock compression we could not safely boost over 6-7 psi. We are staying safe with 5-6 psi. There is no point using the Lysholm which is well suited for high boost applications. We also prefer Eaton as they produce kits for OEMs such as Lotus, TRD and Ford. The $9500 is not just for the Eaton Supercharger. It comes with everything listed on the first page. Also, the pricing is at $7125

The BMW 5/6/7 & X series N62 V8 motors all have a lot of space around the front radiator. The VF heat exchanger upfront does not restrict air to the engine coolant rad becuase the air cavity in this area is so large, that the oncoming air takes the path of least resistance and is also ducted around as well as straight into our radiator. We use the same heat exchanger on the E46 M3 which runs hotter due to a tighter packed engine bady and the Porsche 996/7 supercharger kits. The V8s however benefit from a large electric fan on the coolant rad which is an added benefit.

The compact packaging does not effect the performance. The Surge valve is actuated by the black "pot" called a bypass valve actuator. The surge valve is a throttle body built into the supercharger and spec'd by Eaton based on the volumetric efficiency of the unit. It is not Bosch and is made by Eaton.

GIAC will be doing the ECU upgrade on this project. Also, VF Engineering will be installing the supercharger.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Thank you.

WOW! very interesting answers! Muy bien!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 545isheff' post='669028
Where will they be able to sell their SC kit for 545i/550i, if not on E60 forum?
They should give us a good discount (-15% on the price listed on their site?) .
At the end I am still waiting for a price in ? for the part not installed; plus I would like to know *what* the kit would include (it really steath? Is there an additional radiator?) .

My worries are a) spinning at the traffic light (but the quaife helps to start better than stock configuration) b) new rear tires every 3 months c) tickets d) collisions due to the slow other people (many cars have only 100-150 HP and they travel slowly compared to us V8/V8 supercharged users) e) lowest range due to the major consumption.

At the end HP from 360 to 520 are useless HP.. Our car already goes at 290 kmh.. So the kit has to be well done, reliable and cheap in my opinion.

And someone begin to prepare a 'Supercharged' badge
We are giving out a 25% off retail pricing at the moment for the first 20 people who make the deposit. Once you have made the deposit and the test car is released with HARD numbers and you don't like it the deposit is fully refundable. The deposit is to make sure you get the $7125 price.

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='670684' date='Sep 16 2008, 11:39 AM
Still looking for hard numbers before I commit.

Good question brought up was where are they doing the mods at?
I really don't want to send my car somewhere and just wait months for it to be finished. Somewhere outsourced and local?
Patently waiting a responce.
Once you have made the deposit and the test car is released with HARD numbers and you don't like it the deposit is fully refundable. The deposit is to make sure you get the $7125 price.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Members

500hp/400lb-ft in a 650i would be awesome. However, at that point I think a limited slip diff would be almost mandatory, since the wheels will break loose at the drop of a hat.

Does anyone know if there's a 3rd party LSD for the 6er? Barring that, anyone know if the M6's LSD diff can be retrofitted to the 6er?

If I could get an LSD installed, I just might go for the supercharger upgrade on my '06 650i...

Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot' post='671989' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:14 PM
500hp/400lb-ft in a 650i would be awesome. However, at that point I think a limited slip diff would be almost mandatory, since the wheels will break loose at the drop of a hat.

Does anyone know if there's a 3rd party LSD for the 6er? Barring that, anyone know if the M6's LSD diff can be retrofitted to the 6er?

If I could get an LSD installed, I just might go for the supercharger upgrade on my '06 650i...

Thanks
Hi...If I get about 10-15 people...I can get it custom made for the V8ers.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot' post='671989' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:14 AM

Look at my signature.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='671939' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:37 PM
5-6 psi with an intercooler seems very low. Other BMW tuners and the average joe in the BMW FI community are running much higher psi on stock engines with higher CR then this V8 (9:1 CR). Is the reason you cannot run higher boost due to the efficiency of the Eaton blower (1980's technology)? Is the intercooler sized correctly and doing a proper job? GAIC is a great tuner in the Audi/VW/Porsche world but is his tune holding back the boost and power? The Alpina's B7 is running 11.5 psi boost (CF SC) on essentially the same motor (4.4l V8) as our cars.

Although the Lysholm is better for high boost applications, it works better then the Eaton at all boost levels. It will produce more power and less heat at the same psi as the Eaton. So if max psi is your concern you could run the same power at less boost. Ford used a Lysholm for the production Ford GT. Mercedes has been using them in their "Kompressor" engines for years. The Lysholm is OEM tested.

Overall I think the kit looks great. I do feel the price is a bit high considering you are using an inexpensive old technology roots type blower. This is the same blower used in the mighty Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe.

BP

Quick Reply: CALLING OUT ALL 545i/645i/550i/650i/745i/750i