E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Calling All people who have Tinted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Hi,

3 weeks back I got LLumar ATR (supposively better than dyed-charcoal, lifetime waranty) Tint 30% all-around.. done @ CARPretty, Philadelphia,PA.
The side windows are perfectly done (no water spots or anything).. but on the rear windsheild there is this oily-look ? During night where is light in back, I will see a big line of reflection for each car light in back... so if there are 4 cars behind, pretty much all I see is white Lines all over rear windsheidl lol.. It is annoying.

I took it back to the shop asking about, they said it is "common" ??

Anyone else have this prob?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

I had mine done yesterday locally. The job looks really good, but there were a couple of areas with what looks like water bubbles under the tint. The installer told me those spots would dissipate in 48-72 hours. I hope he knows what the hell he's talking about.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Falterkammer' post='421419' date='May 5 2007, 02:42 PM
I had mine done yesterday locally. The job looks really good, but there were a couple of areas with what looks like water bubbles under the tint. The installer told me those spots would dissipate in 48-72 hours. I hope he knows what the hell he's talking about.
He does, had the same on my tint install and they did indeed go away as promised.

As for Coolguy's issue, never had that problem...
Old 05-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='421423' date='May 5 2007, 03:08 PM
He does, had the same on my tint install and they did indeed go away as promised.

What Tint did you guys get? If it is a dyed-tint then you wont have prob. I have LLumar ATR which is Dyed+Metallic tint.

The Tint guy offered me to replace the rear windsheild with Dyed tint, but it wont be in sync with my other windows which have nice reflection to it.

Dyed tint wont have any reflection, since no metal.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Falterkammer' post='421419' date='May 5 2007, 02:42 PM
From day-one I didn't see any bubbles.. I was amazed! But yea about drying out in sun for few days it will go away. Dont roll down windows!!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Talking

Have Lumar on my Accord and MDX,OK. No problems so far.
I am going with ceramic(non-metal, non-dyed, can go with darker, lifetime warranty,and better solar heat rejection(infra-red) and of course similar UV rejection as other films and does not interfere with electronics. Already got quotes from installers Johnson-Insulatir, Formulaone-Pinnacle, Madico-ceramic, Huperoptic (all creamic). Will decide the brand after looking the film looks.
But BMW deserves better film that not affect electronics and better infra-red (solar heat) rejection that only ceramic films provide. All films whether metallised, dyed, Hybrid or ceramic have same UV protection (99%+ UV rejection).
Go with CERAMIC.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='421456' date='May 5 2007, 05:53 PM
Have Lumar on my Accord and MDX,OK. No problems so far.
I am going with ceramic(non-metal, non-dyed, can go with darker, lifetime warranty,and better solar heat rejection(infra-red) and of course similar UV rejection as other films and does not interfere with electronics. Already got quotes from installers Johnson-Insulatir, Formulaone-Pinnacle, Madico-ceramic, Huperoptic (all creamic). Will decide the brand after looking the film looks.
But BMW deserves better film that not affect electronics and better infra-red (solar heat) rejection that only ceramic films provide. All films whether metallised, dyed, Hybrid or ceramic have same UV protection (99%+ UV rejection).
Go with CERAMIC.
Probably $500-600 I guess. I would rather get clear-bra for that price
Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='421457' date='May 5 2007, 05:56 PM
Probably $500-600 I guess. I would rather get clear-bra for that price
actually all under $500/- ( all windows: sides and back , windshield ASI / 6" stripe and including the moonroof.)
Johnson, Madico & Formulaone: $400-$425
Huperoptik: most expensive : $500-$550
These quotes are for Ceramic. I am inclined towards Johnson/Madico.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Say if you put a light behind rear windsheild, normally u will just see a circle of light in Center of windsheild right.. now this is how it appears after tint

-----------------------------
=
=
=
=
() << actual light
=
=
=
=
-------------------------------

So if there are couple cars behind me, It would be like this..

------------------------------
= =
= =
= =
= =
() () << actual light)
= =
= =
= =
= =
--------------------------
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='421423' date='May 5 2007, 04:08 PM

The bubbles went away and my tint is flawless. I'm going to wait a couple more days before I roll down the windows though, especially since I just washed the car today.

Just a little FYI- I got the Diamond brand Quartz tint that supposedly doesn't interfere with electronics of any sort. $186.00 installed, tax included.

Quick Reply: Calling All people who have Tinted Windows