E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Calling All Exhaust Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost7
yea, the vibrant ultra resonators will be the least expensive way to resolve your current issue with sound and droning. plus they look really nice. I got two of these, but haven't had time to finish my project yet.
Just ordered one, will have it installed after the y-pipe and see how that works for me. Not ready to pony up for dual just yet, so with any luck, this is a good compromise. Thanks for all the advice, Y'all!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

update us on the results once you get it installed.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Members

Default Maybe this will help

go here https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-123360/page2/

this is my quad setup. not a 550i but just to give you ideas.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
New Members

could you post vids of your current exhaust sound?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

I realized that you have already purchased your mufflers but you should have two mufflers. One where it comes down from each side about mid body and then it should branch out to a single outlet. The reason why it is so loud is because you are basically running straight pipe exhaust and then trying to quiten it down at the very end which doesn't work too well. When you have the first muffler mid body of the car it dampens the noise level and also keeps the right amount of back pressure. Once it hits that first muffler the baffles inside there help make everything quite and then the second muffler (which is where you have it now) helps make it quitter and also helps equalize out the pressure of the exhaust. Have you noticed any differences when it comes to down shifting, because like I said your basically running a straight pipe until you get to the last leg of the exhaust. Hope this made some sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

Ok so maybe this will help visualize what i'm talking about here. Granted this is off an M5 but the 550 exhaust will be the same except where the mid body muffler is it will be single outlet instead of dual outlet.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

I am actually experiencing power loss, hesitation and some wicked gurgling sounds upon manual downshifts (6MT). That said, I haven't seen people putting two magnaflows in when they replace their stock system. I will put the resonator in by the y-pipe and see what happens. Hopefully that alleviates the sound issue and my power loss, bad fuel economy and sluggish throttle response is something else. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Are you running the Magnaflow cat back part # 16559? Just asking because I was planning on getting it and heard got things about it like no drone, good exhaust sound and slight gains.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
Are you running the Magnaflow cat back part # 16559? Just asking because I was planning on getting it and heard got things about it like no drone, good exhaust sound and slight gains.
It was on the car when I bought it, so I don't know the part number. The pics should tell you everything you need to know. When you get on it, it sounds great, but it drones something awful, which is why I am adding the resonator to see if that helps. I have no idea if my power loss/hesitation is connected to not enough back pressure or something else. Was hoping someone here would have some thoughts.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
5fanatic, there are several things that suggest that esqyankee isn't running the full cat back Magnaflow system #16559, first the Magnaflow system clamps together so you would see clamps as opposed to the wields, it most likely be all the same color, and the Magnaflow system has an X pipe resonator in the middle which is actually more like a good size muffler. I have the Magnaflow cat back system on my 650 (dual exhaust) an its not much louder than stock.

Espyankee's system appears to be a custom job that eliminated all the resonators and added a free flow Magnaflow muffler, thus the loud exhaust note.

Quick Reply: Calling All Exhaust Gurus