E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Buying accessories..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a general question so don't refer me to another member that can help me out here, but I was just wondering about the places to go buy wheels.

So there's sites like tirerack and modbargains where you can buy them online, but someone people here switch their stock rims with other rims that still have the BMW logo in the hub which leads me to believe that they're "official" wheels, probably sold by BMW garages. Correct me if I'm wrong. But people use the "128" tags to describe the type of wheels they got on their new M5s, and those same tags are used on the official BMW website for the accessories section.

Which poses the question, what's wrong with getting wheels and kits from your BMW dealer? Every time someone asks for help, it's referred to another member, usually in Cali somewhere, so clearly not near Chicago or Auburn, Alabama so that wouldn't work for me and alot of other members. Do BMW dealers rape you on the prices and labor? Because i would honestly prefer some of the wheels on the BMWNA site over the ones on modbargains and tirerack's site. Hell, I think the M-Aero kit looks better than alot of the other ones out there, it's just that it's $2K+. But getting the stuff done by the garage, wouldn't that still keep your warranty in tact if you still have one?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by E60714' post='691413' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:49 AM
This is a general question so don't refer me to another member that can help me out here, but I was just wondering about the places to go buy wheels.

So there's sites like tirerack and modbargains where you can buy them online, but someone people here switch their stock rims with other rims that still have the BMW logo in the hub which leads me to believe that they're "official" wheels, probably sold by BMW garages. Correct me if I'm wrong. But people use the "128" tags to describe the type of wheels they got on their new M5s, and those same tags are used on the official BMW website for the accessories section.

Which poses the question, what's wrong with getting wheels and kits from your BMW dealer? Every time someone asks for help, it's referred to another member, usually in Cali somewhere, so clearly not near Chicago or Auburn, Alabama so that wouldn't work for me and alot of other members. Do BMW dealers rape you on the prices and labor? Because i would honestly prefer some of the wheels on the BMWNA site over the ones on modbargains and tirerack's site. Hell, I think the M-Aero kit looks better than alot of the other ones out there, it's just that it's $2K+. But getting the stuff done by the garage, wouldn't that still keep your warranty in tact if you still have one?
================================================== ==============================

Dear E60714:

The best place I found to get the lowest price on BMW OEM rims is at Chapman BMW of Scottsdale AZ sub company aka BMW Wheels.com:

CLICK ON: Visit My Website

CLICK ON: http://www.bmwwheels.com/bmwwheels.aspBMW Wheels.com

Also you might want to try Garry the Parts manager at BMW Of Newport, Garry gives us e60 forum members 25% off BMW MSRP prices, (SEE BELOW)

"BMW of Newport extends to all members of E60.NET a 25% discount on most parts and accessories plus shipping for your 5 series. We will ship anywhere in the continental U.S. by UPS. We can not extend this offer to wheel and tire packages, pink ribbon collection or remanufactered parts. Rims alone will still carry the 25% discount.

Please send your request to gromani@bmwofnewport.com and I will reply back with price and billing information. Must mention E60.NET to receive the discount and no technical questions please. You may also contact me at 401-847-9600 ext. 2448.

Garry Romani
Parts Manager
BMW of Newport, RI"

Good Luck and I hope this helps!!

Eddie Presley ask Presley348
Old 10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, but that still doesn't answer my question. I don't plan on buying anything at the moment, I was curious as to why people went elsewhere. I think I see why.

Shipping it to my door won't help much because I doubt I'd have any luck in installing the kit and all, so I'd rather have someone that knows what they're doing, i.e. a BMW dealer.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by E60714' post='691549' date='Oct 12 2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but that still doesn't answer my question. I don't plan on buying anything at the moment, I was curious as to why people went elsewhere. I think I see why.

Shipping it to my door won't help much because I doubt I'd have any luck in installing the kit and all, so I'd rather have someone that knows what they're doing, i.e. a BMW dealer.
Sometimes dealers/BMW techs don't know what they are doing either. And like in your original post, dealers tend to make you grab your ankles when reaching for your wallet. More power to you tho when it comes to how and where you spend your money, as long as you are satisfied with the finished product.....
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

WDE! Call Gery at Newport BMW, he will get you the cheapest prices on OEM BMW wheels , and he is a forum sponsor.
Check out the INFO section here on our web sight, it has a picture guide to all the OEM BMW rims .

Also are you located in Auburn?

AU grad , in Bham.....

WDE!

Also Tire rack has a list of approved installers, for tires and usually they list the fees.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

I purchased the 167 wheels from my dealer after checking with Chapman BMW's website and with Garry at BMW of Newport. I simply inquired whether or not they had a price matching policy, and much to my surprise, they not only beat each of the previously mentioned dealer's prices, but I also paid nothing for shipping . I had them do the install and sell my previous wheels too!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='691683' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:37 AM
....dealers tend to make you grab your ankles when reaching for your wallet......
Had a hard time at the dealership Gene?? Hope you had "comfort Seats" afterward!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='691872' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:49 AM
Had a hard time at the dealership Gene?? Hope you had "comfort Seats" afterward!!
No sir, That is a one-way street my friend
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='691683
WDE! Call Gery at Newport BMW, he will get you the cheapest prices on OEM BMW wheels , and he is a forum sponsor.
Check out the INFO section here on our web sight, it has a picture guide to all the OEM BMW rims .

Also are you located in Auburn?

AU grad , in Bham.....

WDE!

Also Tire rack has a list of approved installers, for tires and usually they list the fees.

WDE! I heard Big 10 tire, or Big Tire, I dunno what it's called, it's on S. College, will mount your wheels for free?

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='691740' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:38 AM
I purchased the 167 wheels from my dealer after checking with Chapman BMW's website and with Garry at BMW of Newport. I simply inquired whether or not they had a price matching policy, and much to my surprise, they not only beat each of the previously mentioned dealer's prices, but I also paid nothing for shipping . I had them do the install and sell my previous wheels too!
And your 167's are the ones I've always liked. I guess I'd have to call my dealer back at home and see if they can do the same.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

I don't know if I searched the right terms, but I could night find the FAQ guide to the OEM wheels and what they looked like. Could someone link me please?

Quick Reply: Buying accessories..