E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bumps stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I just did an experiment on my stock shocks that was replaced. I compressed the shocks and went all the way down to the thread. This means there is no way the shocks will ever forced it's way to the top mount or smashed it. With the springs in place, I believe fully compressed it will still have plenty of play for the shocks. Which makes me to believe the bump stop will have no use. Someone might question why BMW put it on to begin with, well as we all know, BMW are always over engineered. Anyway, just my opinion. That is why we have this discussion. Any reply would be much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Silver 530i

Yes, you need bump stops. Bump stops are on most cars now, Toyota, Honda all have bump stops so its not somthing that BMW decided to put on for fun.

As for cutting bump stops, if you have a non-sport e60 you definitly have to cut it unless you like riding around on them. For sport models you may be able to get away without cutting them. For those of you who think its still false. Please look the picture in the link below and explain why the sport model bump stops are shorter than the non-sport ones.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=58919&st=15
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Al, I pm'ed you put I will write it in hear for other peoples future references, this exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. the bump stops I wasn't too worried about because bilsteins have built in internal stops anyway, the real problem is the "big washer" this cap is what prevents the shocks from coming through the shock mounts and on my vehicle this "big washer" was placed on the bottom of the spring as opposed to the top which is why my rear shocks punched through the mounts and smashed up my rear parcel shelf.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by cleung' post='867625' date='May 4 2009, 10:56 AM
Al, I pm'ed you put I will write it in hear for other peoples future references, this exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. the bump stops I wasn't too worried about because bilsteins have built in internal stops anyway, the real problem is the "big washer" this cap is what prevents the shocks from coming through the shock mounts and on my vehicle this "big washer" was placed on the bottom of the spring as opposed to the top which is why my rear shocks punched through the mounts and smashed up my rear parcel shelf.
Thanks for the info.
AL
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='867456' date='May 4 2009, 12:17 AM
I just did an experiment on my stock shocks that was replaced. I compressed the shocks and went all the way down to the thread. This means there is no way the shocks will ever forced it's way to the top mount or smashed it. With the springs in place, I believe fully compressed it will still have plenty of play for the shocks. Which makes me to believe the bump stop will have no use. Someone might question why BMW put it on to begin with, well as we all know, BMW are always over engineered. Anyway, just my opinion. That is why we have this discussion. Any reply would be much appreciated.
shocks have a variable compression rate when load is several thousand pounds. you wont know it when pushing on it manually. when they are fully extended, they compress (move up and down) rather quickly and easily. but when compressed approx. half to more than half way, they are restricted and very limited in compression. it is much more difficult for fluid in one chamber of shock to move rapidly into the other. this is why sport shocks are generally more firmer of a ride than non-sport.

i hope this makes sense. just going off of memory from studies.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

I have had bilstein sports with h&r race springs on my other BMW for over two years with out bump stops and i have not had any problems. My father (BMW Tech) has had to replace thousands of rear shock mounts because they were not properly installed. He even stresses to use a new paper gasket if the old one even looks slightly worn. I know the struts have internal bump stops but i'm not sure about the shocks. I'd shoot bilstein an email to see what they suggest.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='867695' date='May 4 2009, 12:13 PM
I have had bilstein sports with h&r race springs on my other BMW for over two years with out bump stops and i have not had any problems. My father (BMW Tech) has had to replace thousands of rear shock mounts because they were not properly installed. He even stresses to use a new paper gasket if the old one even looks slightly worn. I know the struts have internal bump stops but i'm not sure about the shocks. I'd shoot bilstein an email to see what they suggest.
I called Bilstein and asked about the bump stop. The reply is the front struts comes with internal bump stop. The rear shocks comes with internal as well as external bump stop. They said there is no need to put the old bump stop back. Which is exactly what I have done. Regarding the shock rod going thru the tower, I found the culprit. The big washer that wasn't included in the installation. Just like what happened to a fellow member Cleung. I drove from work to home which runs about 36 miles and combined local and highway ride, I must say the ride is perfect. Stiff on turns and smooth at highway speed. Another mod with a happy ending. I will post pics when I get a chance.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

glad to hear things worked out
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

did the shop that installed your shocks hook you up with any freebies for messing up? I had the dealership do mine and they ended up hooking me up with some stuff.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='868605' date='May 5 2009, 10:14 AM
did the shop that installed your shocks hook you up with any freebies for messing up? I had the dealership do mine and they ended up hooking me up with some stuff.
No, I have it done by a private mechanic. The important thing it got fixed right. No damage and minor inconvenience. Thanks again for all your help.
AL