E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Brushed Steel Wrap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Hey guys.

I had wrapped my interior with 3M's CF DiNoc over a year and a half ago. it was my first attempt, and I was pretty happy. It was about 90-95%, good enough to last me till now.

Ever since DK posted his wrap in brushed steel, I was in love. But since I do need motivation to do stuff, I have been putting it off...

Recently, Spediegunz made a thread comparing different wraps out there after picking up some samples. I hopped on his wagon, and together we decided the Foliatec used by Antti looks the best. Antti went through the trouble of sourcing the material for us, and it arrived to me a little over a week ago.

I gave it a go last Monday, and OHMYLORD. Foliatec, while it looks awesome, it is infinitely harder to work with than 3M's material. I worked on the long trim for over 2 and a half hours, and it was still crap to me. After that, I surrendered and decided that there's no way I can do my wrap with Foliatec and achieve my desired result. I had parts that were starting to lose adhesion, plus I was not going to have enough material to redo the long trim even if I wanted to.

In any case, that was the motivation I needed since I fubar'ed my long trim. I ordered 3M's brushed steel wrap later that day, and it came this past Friday.

I worked on it some on Sunday, and finished up today. I am loving it!

Personally I had thought that brushed aluminum (sample from Spediegunz) would be too light and not look good, but after installing brushed steel in mine, it gave me perspective, and I would imagine that it would look really good with dark interior for sure.

Anyway, enough of my yapper. Here are the pics!

Here's two for preview!

Name:  B23Cz.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  609.8 KB

Name:  mRpbb.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  654.1 KB
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Looka great Simon. Imma need to redo my interior wrap eventually, but I still like the silver carbon Fiber. Im just too lazy to do it again as well. Do you have any special tricks for the corners of the vents? I always screw it up.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Wow Simon!!!! That looks freaking good man!!! Is it me or most of those pictures look dark?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by devildawg712
Looka great Simon. Imma need to redo my interior wrap eventually, but I still like the silver carbon Fiber. Im just too lazy to do it again as well. Do you have any special tricks for the corners of the vents? I always screw it up.
+1 on the vent corners looks great Simon.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Yah, first time around is unlikely to be perfect. For the vents, well, after going back and forth with Ron, I decided to do it right -- and disassembled the AC vents. Once you have it apart, it's smooth sailing from there since you can just wrap in around nice and complete.

Originally Posted by b00sted415
Wow Simon!!!! That looks freaking good man!!! Is it me or most of those pictures look dark?
The later pics are darker yes, those were taken in the evening
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yah, first time around is unlikely to be perfect. For the vents, well, after going back and forth with Ron, I decided to do it right -- and disassembled the AC vents. Once you have it apart, it's smooth sailing from there since you can just wrap in around nice and complete.

The later pics are darker yes, those were taken in the evening
ah ok
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Yah, I only remember to take those later pics when Spediegunz asked me about it
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Damn?. thats no help cuz I too disassembled the vents and It still isn't as great. LOL?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Contributors

Damn?. thats no help cuz I too disassembled the vents and It still isn't as great. LOL?
Oh you did, lol. I didn't the first time around. But did this time because I wanted this to be the last time I wrap, hahaha.

Well, shoot me over some pics of where your imperfection is. Maybe I can get an idea what you're doing and tell you what's up.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Contributors

How are you guys taking off the vents without snapping any of the brittle clips holding the vents?

Quick Reply: Brushed Steel Wrap!