5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Brighter D1S Setup?? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/brighter-d1s-setup-124438/)

MORI3L 06-29-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc (Post 1453558)
Well, if you are satisfied with 4300K's lumen output, you could get Osram's CBI bulbs. They have the appearance of 6000K while output is closer to 4300K.

The only thing is they're expensive bulbs. If my memory serves me correctly, they're $200 for a set. And they are pretty scarce as well.

This is definitely plan B..and I've already considered such a thing. I think the determining factor is going to be ....how much do I have hack up my headlights to get some extra brightness.

AchtungE60 06-29-2012 09:47 PM

Hey buddy got your message. I have a pair of 5000K bulbs on my wife car. They are D2S though. And they are or seem to be much brighter than the OEM bulbs, of course the color is better. I can post a pic of them if you like.
Honestly I'm not sure about the D1S because the ballast is actually on the bulb itself. I have always used original ballast or I go with the entire aftermarket HID kit. I have 6 aftermarket HID's (slim ballasts like i use on my bike) and you should see when I light all 6 up. I have xenon's but not bi-xenons and i coded it to keep the fogs on with high beam. I feel like the truck on that movie I Am Legend lool that's a time only for the back roads. CRAZY BRIGHT.
But I don't know much about the D1S bulbs BUT you may want to readjust your lights because EU has different specs. Remember they drive on opposite side and the lights are aimed differently. It may be bad aim. I've had it before.

nomis_nehc 06-29-2012 10:50 PM

D1S has the ignitor on the bulb, not the ballast.

And if I remember correctly, there are adapters to make D2S bulbs work with D1S setting. However, there really shouldn't be much difference though in regards to the bulb design.

MORI3L 06-29-2012 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by AchtungE60 (Post 1453794)
Hey buddy got your message. I have a pair of 5000K bulbs on my wife car. They are D2S though. And they are or seem to be much brighter than the OEM bulbs, of course the color is better. I can post a pic of them if you like.
Honestly I'm not sure about the D1S because the ballast is actually on the bulb itself. I have always used original ballast or I go with the entire aftermarket HID kit. I have 6 aftermarket HID's (slim ballasts like i use on my bike) and you should see when I light all 6 up. I have xenon's but not bi-xenons and i coded it to keep the fogs on with high beam. I feel like the truck on that movie I Am Legend lool that's a time only for the back roads. CRAZY BRIGHT.
But I don't know much about the D1S bulbs BUT you may want to readjust your lights because EU has different specs. Remember they drive on opposite side and the lights are aimed differently. It may be bad aim. I've had it before.

Hmm...actually Germans drive on the same side of the road as we do....my Headlights are LHD....it is possible that they are aimed a little low but when I had the stockers in there they looked pretty good.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc (Post 1453798)

And if I remember correctly, there are adapters to make D2S bulbs work with D1S setting. However, there really shouldn't be much difference though in regards to the bulb design.

Now this is an interesting idea...I was considering trying out a 55W DDM D2S setup and then buying an adapter(if i need one). The question is where would I hook this kit up to since there is already factory ballast's on the HL's? Maybe I'll be looking at some wiring diagrams for this one aye?

AchtungE60 06-30-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc (Post 1453798)

ballast, ignitor.....that's what I meant. Same thing to me. The box that goes before the bulb.
I bet you have an aim issue and you'll get pretty much the same light output with 5K vs the 6K setup. Just get yourself some 5K D1S bulbs and aim them higher. It's not worth it to go through any other hassles unless you just have enough money and time to waste

MORI3L 07-01-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by AchtungE60 (Post 1453867)
ballast, ignitor.....that's what I meant. Same thing to me. The box that goes before the bulb.
I bet you have an aim issue and you'll get pretty much the same light output with 5K vs the 6K setup. Just get yourself some 5K D1S bulbs and aim them higher. It's not worth it to go through any other hassles unless you just have enough money and time to waste

This sounds like a half way decent fix....maybe I'll get a D2S adapter so that I can get some of the better bulbs cheaper. Dropping a DDM 55W D2S kit in there is still really temping tho!

MORI3L 07-05-2012 09:00 PM

Well here they are http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166 (From your favorite website too simon :twoup: )

I'm just reluctant to spend the 200... (though I might end up doing it)........Anyone have experience with the morimoto 3five vs the CBI bulbs?

nomis_nehc 07-05-2012 09:29 PM

Three five is just the name of the ballast.

Also, those CBIs go pretty quick. If you're even considering it, you should just go ahead. They'll be out of stock before you know it.

MORI3L 07-05-2012 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc (Post 1454787)
Three five is just the name of the ballast.

Also, those CBIs go pretty quick. If you're even considering it, you should just go ahead. They'll be out of stock before you know it.

Time to go back to eatting top ramen for a week.....on the plus side....I'll be able to chuck these cheap ebay D1S bulbs :)

I'll post a few pics when I get em installed....and believe me i'll put these to the test on the way to vegas next week :dance:

TheRacerBoss 07-06-2012 03:55 AM

While vidoes and images are poor at replicating light and sound, I am surely looking forward to the pictures.

Please do take before and after pictures.