E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

"breathe-better" mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with my current budget, big mods like the JB3 are useless without eventually adding on even more mods like the RPi exhaust, upgraded intercooler and BOV. So I decided I would do small mods that would all be under $300. I decided on this:

Some type of air filter. K&N, Burger Motorsports, or BMC
RPi scoops, of course
and then finally some type of an intake upgrade. The problem with this is at first I was thinking some regular CAI like K&N. Haven't checked if they made one for a 535, but that was my choice. Then I heard of the Burger Motorsport DCI, which I just assumed was "better" since it was a bit more. Now I read DCI detract from power, but improve the noise. I'm not that power hungry, but spending $150+ to lose power and sound better? I don't think it's worth it. So for this last mod, is a DCI worth it? A regular CAI, are they out there? Worth it?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

IMO spending money on mods that result in losing power is ridiculous, dude - that's like a step down from throwing money away

Air filter - BMC is definitely the best filter.

For CAI - and I'm not sure how it works on the turbo engine - I'd go with either RPi or Dinan
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

To breathe better with a budget, get RPI scoop and BMC filter. And you're done
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Don't waste your time on an open cone CAI set-up....youll end up throwing even more limp codes due to the hot air being sucked into the Turbo's..

go with the Scoop and Filter set-up.... the BOV would be a good choice if you decide to run a meth kit....

like this member...

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=68094&hl=
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributors

+1 with Gene, the dual cone air intakes will result in a loss of power, due to heat soak. The best way to make power is to use the stock box with a drop in bmc or helene drop in filter. Of course you would want to add the RPI scoops. All high performance vehicles utilize a box configuration air filter system. if the open air intakes actually produced power, why wouldn't the automobile manufacturers just make them that way from the get go?

As for the charge pipe/blow off valve, you will loose power unless you are going with a water/meth system. there aren't any intercoolers or down pipes for the 535i. although the 335 intercoolers should be the same, the 535i has oil lines that are hard lined in front of the intercooler. by installing an intercooler you may void your warranty or cause greater problems with the oil cooler.

If you are interested in the RPi GT Race Exhaust there is a group buy going on. Please check the link below:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...p;mode=threaded

please pm member RPi Power or Michell@RPI for more detail. You can also visit their website: www.raceprecision.com
Old 08-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

I'm on a budget, so no exhaust, and I mentioned the BOV as an example of the type of mod that would come as a result of installing a JB3 or complementing the downpipes, exhaust, etc. that would come with the more expensive mods. I wasn't planning on simply upgrading the BOV just like that.

Anyone have any experience with the BMS filter? I know BMC is big on here, but haven't heard much about the one from BMS, the ones that made the JB3. Any idea?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by E60714' post='962123' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm on a budget, so no exhaust, and I mentioned the BOV as an example of the type of mod that would come as a result of installing a JB3 or complementing the downpipes, exhaust, etc. that would come with the more expensive mods. I wasn't planning on simply upgrading the BOV just like that.

Anyone have any experience with the BMS filter? I know BMC is big on here, but haven't heard much about the one from BMS, the ones that made the JB3. Any idea?
Dbae HAD the BMS DCI....MacFly also had a DCI set-up

like any other open cone intake set-up...both ended up throwing limp codes due to the heat soak along with a loss in power....while the boys over on n54tech may say different regarding temp changes and heat soak....I'd go with personal experience from your fellow e60/N54 engine drivers....:thumsup:
Old 08-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

RPi scoop. Or go all out and get a big intercooler, cone type intake, and remap the crap outta the ECU. Or give the car asthma spray to let it breather better

Honestly, JB3 HELPS even without the exhausts and everything. Can't do a BOV. If you recirc to atm, you'll EFF the car's ECU signals and run weird. You have to recirc. If you want the BOV sound, get an open air intake and you'll hear it. You might hear it with a drop in filter but I cant confirm it.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='962213' date='Aug 1 2009, 03:59 PM
RPi scoop. Or go all out and get a big intercooler, cone type intake, and remap the crap outta the ECU. Or give the car asthma spray to let it breather better

Honestly, JB3 HELPS even without the exhausts and everything. Can't do a BOV. If you recirc to atm, you'll EFF the car's ECU signals and run weird. You have to recirc. If you want the BOV sound, get an open air intake and you'll hear it. You might hear it with a drop in filter but I cant confirm it.
you can't do a BOV, really? Did you check the link I posted above...

member My535i may beg to differ

here's the link again since you missed it the first time

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=68094&hl=
Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='960604' date='Jul 31 2009, 02:20 AM
IMO spending money on mods that result in losing power is ridiculous, dude - that's like a step down from throwing money away

Air filter - BMC is definitely the best filter.

For CAI - and I'm not sure how it works on the turbo engine - I'd go with either RPi or Dinan
AFAIK, Dinan does not offer an intake set-up for the N54 engine...

Quick Reply: "breathe-better" mods