E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Borla or Eisenmann?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002. W203. C230 Kompressor::SOLD! 2004. E60. 530i.

Hello all:

I'm new with this forum. I got 04's 530, and seriously in the biggest dillema whether I should get Borla or Eisenmann.

Any recommendations?

Thanx.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Welcome to the forum buddy. Where are you from?

Anyway, I'm in the same dilemma, can't decide on an exhaust yet either. But one thing I know is that Eisenmann offers a quad exhaust system where Borla doesn't. Not sure if that helps. Peformance and sound wise, everyone has their own opinions so you'll ultimately have to decide for yourself.

Happy e60ing...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002. W203. C230 Kompressor::SOLD! 2004. E60. 530i.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 28 2005, 03:04 AM
Welcome to the forum buddy.? Where are you from?

Anyway, I'm in the same dilemma, can't decide on an exhaust yet either.? But one thing I know is that Eisenmann offers a quad exhaust system where Borla doesn't.? Not sure if that helps.? Peformance and sound wise, everyone has their own opinions so you'll ultimately have to decide for yourself.

Happy e60ing...
[snapback]189880[/snapback]
Hello EuroCarFan:

Yeah I know at the end, I have to decide it for myself. =D

The thing I like about eisenmann is the quad, but Borla offers the catback system right, is that right? Because I think the other two pipes of the eisenmann's quad is not active right? Am I right? Sorry I'm a little confused with how the quad works.

I'm in MA btw. =D
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributors

I actually don't know if Borla offers a catback exhaust. You are right about the Eisenmann, the pipes on the right just bridges from the pipes on the left after the rear resonators I believe. There is exhaust flow but minimal to the right.

So far, the only company that makes a "true" quad exhaust that I've seen is Racing Dynamics. Their system consists of an X-pipe right after the cats and from there they have two independent pipes each with it's own mufflers and dual tips at the end. RD's Power Exhaust actually includes exhaust intakes and high flow cats as well. Hamann also has a quad exhaust but I don't know if it's a true quad or if it's like the Eisenmann. I've attached pics of the RD exhausts here. The first is the quad conversion and the second is the complete Power Exhaust.
Borla or Eisenmann?-rd_quad_exhaust.jpg
Borla or Eisenmann?-rd_power_exhaust.jpg
Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:55 AM
I actually don't know if Borla offers a catback exhaust.? You are right about the Eisenmann, the pipes on the right just bridges from the pipes on the left after the rear resonators I believe.? There is exhaust flow but minimal to the right.?

So far, the only company that makes a "true" quad exhaust that I've seen is Racing Dynamics.? Their system consists of an X-pipe right after the cats and from there they have two independent pipes each with it's own mufflers and dual tips at the end.? RD's Power Exhaust actually includes exhaust intakes and high flow cats as well.? Hamann also has a quad exhaust but I don't know if it's a true quad or if it's like the Eisenmann.? I've attached pics of the RD exhausts here.? The first is the quad conversion and the second is the complete Power Exhaust.
Attachment 11900
Attachment 11901
[snapback]190022[/snapback]
I don't see how those exhaust systems will fit a 545i. Look at the underside pic toward the end of this doc--there doesn't appear to be enough room for a muffler on the right side, and the pipes leading to the right muffler in your pix above don't look like they'd fit--could it be for a E60 M5?
eisenmann_install.pdf
Old 10-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

I couldn't open your attachment for some reason. Anyway, look at this link from RD. It shows these exhausts are for the 545 and 550. I also called Carrozzeria Design in Irvine and they said they can get the quad exhaust conversion, $2,600. http://www.racingdynamics.com/Localized/No...A_E60_Motor.htm
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:55 AM
I actually don't know if Borla offers a catback exhaust.? You are right about the Eisenmann, the pipes on the right just bridges from the pipes on the left after the rear resonators I believe.? There is exhaust flow but minimal to the right.?

So far, the only company that makes a "true" quad exhaust that I've seen is Racing Dynamics.? Their system consists of an X-pipe right after the cats and from there they have two independent pipes each with it's own mufflers and dual tips at the end.? RD's Power Exhaust actually includes exhaust intakes and high flow cats as well.? Hamann also has a quad exhaust but I don't know if it's a true quad or if it's like the Eisenmann.? I've attached pics of the RD exhausts here.? The first is the quad conversion and the second is the complete Power Exhaust.
Attachment 11900
Attachment 11901
[snapback]190022[/snapback]
The Hamann system is similar to the Eisenmann. The right side is branched off of the left with a very small pipe and muffler. It is not a true dual exhaust setup. It sounds and looks good though.

I am researching this now also. Everybody says a full size muffler will not fit, which I would agree as the spare tire is right justified. I need to pull the coverplate off and look whats underneath that. The RD system has a much thinner muffler than the stock systems so I am hopefull that it would fit. The stock system has two fairly large mufflers on the left side.

I am curious what the RD system would sound like if you just split two pipes from the resonator back???

Also, I have been told by the Hamann distributor that you do not want to lower the back pressue too much. I have a hard time understanding that. If you leave the cat and the resonator (which ties both sides together into one), I would not think you could lower the backpressure too much by splitting from the resonator back.

I am worried about taking the resonator out, as I want some noise, but do not want to sound like a 70's muscle car when driving on the freeway.

The easiest is just installing the Hamann or Eisenmann. I just think with a little work and some custom piping, that I can get a cleaner system.

I am going to pull the coverplate off this weekend and take a look and make some measurements.

Does anybody know the diameter of the RD pipes?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Also,

Borla makes some good systems and I considered one for my Yukon. They are mandrel bent pipes and fairly clean. On this application I opted for a custom job, which if you find a good muffler guy, they are about the same price.

I think for a BMW, the Eisenmann, Hamann or RD are better routes to go.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

I would think the RD system would easily fit since it's designed for the car. Shouldn't have any fitment issues.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 28 2005, 10:43 AM
I would think the RD system would easily fit since it's designed for the car.? Shouldn't have any fitment issues.
[snapback]190078[/snapback]
I just checked the link you gave--looks like it would work, but $2,600 (plus $? install)--ouch!!!

Quick Reply: Borla or Eisenmann?