E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW mod virgin.. help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e60chris
Thanks I was looking at bmwshadowline.com the other day for my windows. I'm not sure which grille to go with though. I mean there are so many brands with prices from $50-$150. Its hard to choose one from only a couple of pictures.
I'm considering these 3:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/p465...duct_info.html
http://www.trinityautosport.com/matt...ills-p-73.html
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...T-MATTE-1.aspx

Does anyone have any recommendations?
By the way, my car is under a foot of snow right now but I'll be sure to get some pictures up soon.
This snow sucks LOL. I also have a 528i . Since you have a black car some cheap and easy modifications I would suggest are...

-Plasti Dip the grille (Plasti dip is REVERSIBLE and is only $6 at home depot/lowes). (adds a nice black touch)
-Tint the tailights with vinyl (Would look hot with a black car and its easy to do). ($15)
-15% Tint on the windows (Would look nice with the black color/blacked out tails) ($170)
-License Plate LEDS (Cheap simple lighting upgrade and it looks nice) ($8 on amazon)
-Interior LEDS (I don't suggest buying kits from vendors because they are expensive I got my whole kit by piecing bulbs together and only spent $50...venders charge $150) ($50) (If you need the bulb numbers ask me I will be glad to give them I got blue LEDS inside and white for the footwells).
-Black And White BMW Roundels (Will add a nice touch to the whole blacked out theme) ($30 for front/rear/steering wheel).
-Black 528i badge or Black N52 Badge. (N52 is the 3.0 I6 engine thats in your car...you can get the N52 badge at autozone for $9) Black it out using plasti dip. Or you can debadge your 528i logo and then plasti dip that. ($0-$9)
-LED Sidemarkers (Adds a nice touch to the car I got blue LED sidemarkers provides alot of attention) $5-$9 (Get the LEDS on amazon).
-Angle Eyes (If you have halogen lights your going to have to spend $180 on the angle eyes if you have xenon lights you can LED H8 Angle eyes for $50) ($50)
-HID Bulb Upgrade/HID Kit (If you have halogens get a HID kit can be bought and installed for $130 (I got 8000k HID lowbeams) ($130)
-GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs (I have these and got these for only $15 and they look nice and have a white output) (H8 Bulb Type) ($15)

Yeah thats all the cheap stuff that you can do. I still have to do half of that stuff LOL. But if my math is correct all that should be under $600.

Oh and welcome!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
lol you didnt search hundreds of threads, i doubt you searched at all honestly

get the grills from trinity or acute

get the real shadowline from same vendors

and angel eyes shoot for orion v2 etc
Don't listen to this guy he has a faggot burberry trim in his car

*****A quick reminder of the rules of this forum can be found here, in case anyone feels the need to review them

***** http://forums.5serie...and-moderation/

Gene

Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Don't listen to this guy he has a faggot burberry trim in his car.
ya dont listen to me i dont know anything about e60s at all actually...in fact i dont even own one

if the OP had searched he would have found that there are only 2 different designs for black e60 grilles, so it doesnt matter what someone else charges, they are coming from the same place

one design has round edges which doesnt look good, those youll mostly find from cheapo vendors or ebay

they other has the correct flat design like our oem grilles do, those are around 40 to 60 bucks
Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
ya dont listen to me i dont know anything about e60s at all actually...in fact i dont even own one

if the OP had searched he would have found that there are only 2 different designs for black e60 grilles, so it doesnt matter what someone else charges, they are coming from the same place

one design has round edges which doesnt look good, those youll mostly find from cheapo vendors or ebay

they other has the correct flat design like our oem grilles do, those are around 40 to 60 bucks

I did search and besides the "cheapo" ones, they all look for the most part the same. Some have a slightly different finish than others though so I'm wondering if it will really make that much of a difference. Thats all...
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Members

This snow sucks LOL. I also have a 528i . Since you have a black car some cheap and easy modifications I would suggest are...

-Plasti Dip the grille (Plasti dip is REVERSIBLE and is only $6 at home depot/lowes). (adds a nice black touch)
-Tint the tailights with vinyl (Would look hot with a black car and its easy to do). ($15)
-15% Tint on the windows (Would look nice with the black color/blacked out tails) ($170)
-License Plate LEDS (Cheap simple lighting upgrade and it looks nice) ($8 on amazon)
-Interior LEDS (I don't suggest buying kits from vendors because they are expensive I got my whole kit by piecing bulbs together and only spent $50...venders charge $150) ($50) (If you need the bulb numbers ask me I will be glad to give them I got blue LEDS inside and white for the footwells).
-Black And White BMW Roundels (Will add a nice touch to the whole blacked out theme) ($30 for front/rear/steering wheel).
-Black 528i badge or Black N52 Badge. (N52 is the 3.0 I6 engine thats in your car...you can get the N52 badge at autozone for $9) Black it out using plasti dip. Or you can debadge your 528i logo and then plasti dip that. ($0-$9)
-LED Sidemarkers (Adds a nice touch to the car I got blue LED sidemarkers provides alot of attention) $5-$9 (Get the LEDS on amazon).
-Angle Eyes (If you have halogen lights your going to have to spend $180 on the angle eyes if you have xenon lights you can LED H8 Angle eyes for $50) ($50)
-HID Bulb Upgrade/HID Kit (If you have halogens get a HID kit can be bought and installed for $130 (I got 8000k HID lowbeams) ($130)
-GP Thunder 8500k Bulbs (I have these and got these for only $15 and they look nice and have a white output) (H8 Bulb Type) ($15)

Yeah thats all the cheap stuff that you can do. I still have to do half of that stuff LOL. But if my math is correct all that should be under $600.

Oh and welcome!
Hey don't get me wrong, I love the snow, its just not too nice to our cars.
Thanks A LOT for your input.

15% is pretty dark and also illegal in NY. I think I'm just gonna stay legal and go with 30% (with a black interior it should be plenty dark)

I've thought about the BMW logos and I kinda like it stock so maybe I'll worry about that another day.
Sidemarkers are a must though in my mind, especially becuase its relatively cheap. I can't seem to find them for under $10 though. lol

The angel eyes I just have to decide on a manufacturer, but the low/highbeams I'm not sure I want to upgrade right now. The stock ones are relatively white and I'm not really in need of anything brighter so I don;t think its necessary at this point in time.

I'd rather stay away from buying from amazon or other places that don't specialize in this kinda stuff.
These seem to be priced reasonably. http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/5-Se...duct_info.html

Interior LEDs I havent researched at all. Buying a package is enough of a DIY for me I think. How did your install go? And also how does the blue look with the orange lighting?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Contributors

I did search and besides the "cheapo" ones, they all look for the most part the same. Some have a slightly different finish than others though so I'm wondering if it will really make that much of a difference. Thats all...
well you pretty much answered you own question then if they all look the same aside from the two shapes, they all come from the same place in taiwan so its just markup
Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and welcome!
That list is great! Nice work man.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

Hey don't get me wrong, I love the snow, its just not too nice to our cars.
Thanks A LOT for your input.

15% is pretty dark and also illegal in NY. I think I'm just gonna stay legal and go with 30% (with a black interior it should be plenty dark)

I've thought about the BMW logos and I kinda like it stock so maybe I'll worry about that another day.
Sidemarkers are a must though in my mind, especially becuase its relatively cheap. I can't seem to find them for under $10 though. lol

The angel eyes I just have to decide on a manufacturer, but the low/highbeams I'm not sure I want to upgrade right now. The stock ones are relatively white and I'm not really in need of anything brighter so I don;t think its necessary at this point in time.

I'd rather stay away from buying from amazon or other places that don't specialize in this kinda stuff.
These seem to be priced reasonably. http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/5-Se...duct_info.html

Interior LEDs I havent researched at all. Buying a package is enough of a DIY for me I think. How did your install go? And also how does the blue look with the orange lighting?
15% is illegal but it will look nice and the local police don't care about tint that much. I don't even have the front plate installed . For the sidemarkers this is what I have
Amazon Amazon

I also ordered these for the interior. For my footwells I have two white LED lights and for the courtesy lights under the door I have bright LED white ones. All of them were from amazon and ZERO problems. Its just LED bulbs.

The under door lights (Courtesy Lights) are T10 168 bulbs and to replace just take a small flat head screw driver and pop out the bulb cover and twist the bulb out. It takes less then 40 seconds. The dome lights for (Both domes front/rear are T10 168) insert a flat head under the dome and it pops out. Just twist and replace the bulb....takes maybe 3 min for both domes.

The footwells are festoon bulbs I forgot what type though will check tomorrow.

The sidemarkers also use T10 168 bulbs. Take a credit card and insert it under the sidemarker and go around it and it pops off...the bulb is easy to remove just twist and replace and your done. Easy mods.

Originally Posted by west
That list is great! Nice work man.
Thanks man! Appreciate it! Love your rims got any more pictures?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Members

Oh, I was also considering changing my reflectors. Is there a way to remove them or is it better to just spray paint them?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

My car is black so I think blacking it out is the way to go for me. Is there a difference between LCI and xenon for the lights? lol. I have no idea if its the same thing or what the difference is. In terms of the grill I don't want to mess around with spraypaint and sandpaper. Even though i probably could handle it, there's a chance I might want to put the stock grille back on. I know grilles are an easy install but the with the window trim I'm still leaning towards vinyl.
Badges are a great idea too. I'm thinking matte black.

Thanks!!
Wait till you see the new badges I will post on my car tomorrow.

Quick Reply: BMW mod virgin.. help please