E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW mod virgin.. help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys.

I just picked up an '08 528xi (black ext. & int.) and I'm looking to make some cheap/easy mods. Nothing too fancy, its stuff that we've all seen before. Unfortunately, after reading hundreds of threads I still don't know the best route to take.
First, I wanna replace my grill. Is it worth buying a new piece or should I grab a can of spray paint for a couple of bucks?
Should I go with vinyl or just buy a set of new parts to replace the window trim? I know the vinyl is a lot cheaper but is it really that easy a DIY?
What the hell do I do about the headlights?

Basically what I'm asking is, if you were in my position, what would you do? Money is sort of a problem but I want to make sure I do this car justice and not do a half-ass job.

Thanks in advance. ANY feedback is much appreciated.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60chris
Alright guys.

I just picked up an '08 528xi (black ext. & int.) and I'm looking to make some cheap/easy mods. Nothing too fancy, its stuff that we've all seen before. Unfortunately, after reading hundreds of threads I still don't know the best route to take.
First, I wanna replace my grill. Is it worth buying a new piece or should I grab a can of spray paint for a couple of bucks?
Should I go with vinyl or just buy a set of new parts to replace the window trim? I know the vinyl is a lot cheaper but is it really that easy a DIY?
What the hell do I do about the headlights?

Basically what I'm asking is, if you were in my position, what would you do? Money is sort of a problem but I want to make sure I do this car justice and not do a half-ass job.

Thanks in advance. ANY feedback is much appreciated.
Spray the chrome black, cheap and easy first mod! Just be sure to rub them down with some fine sand paper first and use a undercoat to help keep it from chipping off! Take your time and it will improve the looks and not to heavy on the wallet

Lights Im not sure of you need overlays I'm sure someone will be able to advise you, but with an 08 you should have LCI lights so a mod to brighten up those angel eyes ... Johns your man for advice and products..where is he????
Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

If you have chrome trim, go for black. If you want to go cheaper first do other stuff. What color is your car? Upgraded badges could look nice, I'd probably go with new grilles instead of painting. For your car, LCI, you can get upgraded HID bulbs for the angel eyes.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

DIY's for sanding and painting the window trim and grills yourself can be found here. Spending a little time searching here could save you a good amount of money...

good luck with your mods and to the forum as well...
Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on the 528
Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil
If you have chrome trim, go for black. If you want to go cheaper first do other stuff. What color is your car? Upgraded badges could look nice, I'd probably go with new grilles instead of painting. For your car, LCI, you can get upgraded HID bulbs for the angel eyes.
My car is black so I think blacking it out is the way to go for me. Is there a difference between LCI and xenon for the lights? lol. I have no idea if its the same thing or what the difference is. In terms of the grill I don't want to mess around with spraypaint and sandpaper. Even though i probably could handle it, there's a chance I might want to put the stock grille back on. I know grilles are an easy install but the with the window trim I'm still leaning towards vinyl.
Badges are a great idea too. I'm thinking matte black.

Thanks!!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi ao8

Congrats on the new car. Keep your eye on the private classifieds for grills, bmwshadowline.com for blacking out chrome around windows and checking the web page for the above member (Trinity Autosport). Lets see some pics of your car if you can.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Contributors

lol you didnt search hundreds of threads, i doubt you searched at all honestly

get the grills from trinity or acute

get the real shadowline from same vendors

and angel eyes shoot for orion v2 etc
Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cderr14
Congrats on the new car. Keep your eye on the private classifieds for grills, bmwshadowline.com for blacking out chrome around windows and checking the web page for the above member (Trinity Autosport). Lets see some pics of your car if you can.
Thanks I was looking at bmwshadowline.com the other day for my windows. I'm not sure which grille to go with though. I mean there are so many brands with prices from $50-$150. Its hard to choose one from only a couple of pictures.
I'm considering these 3:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/p465...duct_info.html
http://www.trinityautosport.com/matt...ills-p-73.html
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...T-MATTE-1.aspx

Does anyone have any recommendations?
By the way, my car is under a foot of snow right now but I'll be sure to get some pictures up soon.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
lol you didnt search hundreds of threads, i doubt you searched at all honestly

get the grills from trinity or acute

get the real shadowline from same vendors

and angel eyes shoot for orion v2 etc
...ok. I researched for days because I knew that I was the millionth person looking to make these mods. THEN I started asking my own questions.

I'm leaning towards getting everything from jlevistreetwerks.com. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Quick Reply: BMW mod virgin.. help please