E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW E60 2004 Installing Dension Gateway 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am pulling my hair out, I have spent 7 hours trying to install the GW 500 into my car and had no luck please please help.

I have a E60 2004 UK car 525I SE, it has the 6 disc CDC fitted in the glove box (CDC does NOT play mp3s), it also has a single slot CD player which DOES play MP3 CDs and when playing the MP3 CD in the head unit single slot it does display text on the IDRIVE screen, it has the 6.5 inch screen no Nav.

I have purchased the Dension Gateway 500 and spent most of the day trying to fit this but could not get the CDC and Gateway to work in harmony.

Could someone please tell me which installation type I need to follow to fit the GW500 to allow me to use teh CDC the Ipod via teh GW 500 and get text on the screen?? Also can someone please tell me what the dip switches on the GW 500 need to be set to? (it has 6 dip switches on the GW). Also once installed how do I go about selecting the cd changer or the gw via the Idrive?

Thanks in advance
liaqat83@hotmail.com
Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You should follow the instruction 'cuz it's varies, try http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=g...nstallguide.pdf install type 2a according to that your dip switch should be set #1 & #2 up/on the rest down/off.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liaqat.zaman' post='829261' date='Mar 28 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi All,

I am pulling my hair out, I have spent 7 hours trying to install the GW 500 into my car and had no luck please please help.

I have a E60 2004 UK car 525I SE, it has the 6 disc CDC fitted in the glove box (CDC does NOT play mp3s), it also has a single slot CD player which DOES play MP3 CDs and when playing the MP3 CD in the head unit single slot it does display text on the IDRIVE screen, it has the 6.5 inch screen no Nav.

I have purchased the Dension Gateway 500 and spent most of the day trying to fit this but could not get the CDC and Gateway to work in harmony.

Could someone please tell me which installation type I need to follow to fit the GW500 to allow me to use teh CDC the Ipod via teh GW 500 and get text on the screen?? Also can someone please tell me what the dip switches on the GW 500 need to be set to? (it has 6 dip switches on the GW). Also once installed how do I go about selecting the cd changer or the gw via the Idrive?

Thanks in advance
liaqat83@hotmail.com

Hi, just got my first BMW (2005 535d touring with media pack).
I too have had problems getting my Dension to work and spent a similar amount of time in the garage!

My car has a CDC and plays CDs burned from my PC (I assume these are MP3?). I dont see text from my in dash CD player.
I have tried Installation type 2a and type 1. With Type 2a I can operate the CDC if I switch the Dension off via the switch module but can get the IDrive to operate or see the IPOD (the ipod tell me is connected to Dension).
With Type 1 install I can here the ipod through the car but not see the ipod or control it via the idrive.

Sooo..
I assume I dont have my car set up for MP3?? Or I have another problem.

Ive looked through every post (I think) on fitting etc and everyone says refer to the Dension instructions and still need help!

My questions:
1. What sort of CD to need to burn to check MP3 compatability (use Window media or itunes? and does it need to display text on the car screen.
2. How much do BMW UK charge for the software update? (my car still has a couple of months of dealer warranty from prev owner, any chance I can use this for a free upgrade -I have seen the US letters to take to dealer for free upgrade. Any UK owners got experience of this???
3. Please could someone confirm the correct fibre optic set up. ie I assume 2a; but why do I get sound with type 1 only???
4. Finally my car say the SOS thing has failed (I drained the battery during the prolonged set up period).... Is this easy to reset?

Thanks in advance
Simon