E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

bmw approved tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

long story short i have a pair of nexen tires i just bought a wk ago and put em on my 04 530i, now the problem is theres a shaky vibration i feel in the steering wheel and all over the car pretty much everytime i go over 80 km/h....im getting mixed opinions about the problem the dealership and this one tire place said its because the tires i got werent bmw approved ones. i was just wondering if this was true? is it that mandatory? cuz sum ppl said it is and some said no ...mind u all the balancing is correct on the car cuz i had that double checked...

any opinions and advice woiuld be great thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

If this started when you put the new tyres on, it will be balancing.

Some cars are very sensitive to balance, many tyre shops set the machine to balance to 5 grams, get them to up the sensitivity to 1 gram and try again. This is especially true with directional tread pattern tyres.

It took 5 attempts to get a set of Goodyear GSD3's balanced properly, but it can be done.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Members

I highly doubt getting BMW approved tires will help the issue if the person balancing them is incompetant. I know several people with e60s who use all different makes of tire without any issue like this.

What you want to look for is a person with a balancing machine with roadforce. What this allows him to do is match the High spot of the tire with the low spot of the wheel. Sometimes if the highspot and lowspot match perfectly, weights aren't even necessary.

I would have the tires rebalanced by someone with a newer machine that has this technology. Most of the latest hunter machines have it. It will probably help your problem substantially.

Also, there is such thing as a defective tire that will not take a balance, or will appear to take a balance and still cause vibrations. It is much more common in the cheaper brands. You don't see it as much with tires like Pirelli, etc., but it is fairly common with the cheaper tires.

Again, the new machines can detect a defective tire and eliminate guessing.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' Black Saphire 530i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated rear seats, Power sunshade, Logic 7 w/CD Changer, PDC, Fold down rear seats Mods* 19" Beyern Mesh wheels with Goodyear F1 pro A/S tires

Originally Posted by pane2k' post='869673' date='May 6 2009, 08:10 AM
I highly doubt getting BMW approved tires will help the issue if the person balancing them is incompetant. I know several people with e60s who use all different makes of tire without any issue like this.

What you want to look for is a person with a balancing machine with roadforce. What this allows him to do is match the High spot of the tire with the low spot of the wheel. Sometimes if the highspot and lowspot match perfectly, weights aren't even necessary.

I would have the tires rebalanced by someone with a newer machine that has this technology. Most of the latest hunter machines have it. It will probably help your problem substantially.

Also, there is such thing as a defective tire that will not take a balance, or will appear to take a balance and still cause vibrations. It is much more common in the cheaper brands. You don't see it as much with tires like Pirelli, etc., but it is fairly common with the cheaper tires.

Again, the new machines can detect a defective tire and eliminate guessing.

The dealer i bought my 530i from had put nexans on mine as well, even though they were new tires when i took them to get roadforce balanced one tire failed, and 1 barely passed. I had the same issue at almost the same speed and it turned out the staggered fitment they used which had 225/35/r20 in the front was not rated for the load of the bmw. Make sure that if your using 20" rims you have the right load rating on the tire, you would probably have to go with at LEAST 235/40/r20 if using 20 inch, otherwise you end up having to run like 41PSI in the tires making them ride harsh and when you have a temp change the shake will come back.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Bad quality tire from the mfg?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Members

they are 225/50 r17 and i have m replica wheels on them if that makes a difference? they did have that road force machine they said one wheel is half an ounce out but said that shouldnt cause my car to shake like that. the guy kept telling me i got a entry level kinda tire and my car is too responsive for that tire and shoulda got bmw approved ones.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dixon' post='869819' date='May 6 2009, 07:11 PM
they are 225/50 r17 and i have m replica wheels on them if that makes a difference?
225/50 17" should be easy to balance.

What wheels and tires do you have?

One. The tire balance is not made properly.

Two. Some cheep tires may be impossible to get into balance.

Three. The replica wheels are not always good. Are they even the right size for the bolts etc?

The one and only time I bought replicas, they could never be balanced.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by dixon' post='869566' date='May 6 2009, 02:57 AM
long story short i have a pair of nexen tires i just bought a wk ago and put em on my 04 530i, now the problem is theres a shaky vibration i feel in the steering wheel and all over the car pretty much everytime i go over 80 km/h....im getting mixed opinions about the problem the dealership and this one tire place said its because the tires i got werent bmw approved ones. i was just wondering if this was true? is it that mandatory? cuz sum ppl said it is and some said no ...mind u all the balancing is correct on the car cuz i had that double checked...

any opinions and advice woiuld be great thanks!
Why nexen? What's wrong with Michelin, Bridgestone, even cheap Dunlops. None of these brands ever gave me any problem when new.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

What tires did you have before you switched? How many miles did you drive on the old tires? Are the wheels true (perfectly round)? you also say you have a pair of nexens, not a set. What brand are the other two? Why would you not replace the entire set when switching brands?

Just some questions you might think about.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 MINI Cooper S - lightly modified - 2006 BMW 525i
Model Year: 0000

It is possibly the replica wheels. I bought a set of snowtires with replica wheels and Pirelli snowtires at the beginning of the winter. Barely got past 80kms and the car started shaking. I brought them back to the tire dealer and he put hub rings in the wheels and the problem was solved.

As the rings are very thin, you might need to replace them everytime you dismount your wheels though. Thankfully, they're not very expensive.

Quick Reply: bmw approved tires