E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMS power box is a thumbs up:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymac
You can use a sprint booster or velocity booster with the BMS. You have to put it in mode 7. Mode 7 eliminates the throttle map from the BMS PB so you can use your own product if you so choose or no map at all.

I emailed the company today. Also, I ordered one...

On Apr 26, 2011, at 14:00, Burger Tuning <jason.burgertuning@gmail.com> wrote:

You must use map 7 for it not to interfere with the velocity booster throttle map.

Thank you for your interest in our products,

Jason
Burger Motorsports, LLC.
BurgerTuning.com
email: jason.burgertuning@gmail.com
that is good to know, thanks for posting that info that jason stated.. good luck and let us know what you think when you install it
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

He told me it will get here in a couple of days. My wife is gone for about a month or so so I have to find time between work and taking care of my little girl. I will post pics when I do though.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac
He told me it will get here in a couple of days. My wife is gone for about a month or so so I have to find time between work and taking care of my little girl. I will post pics when I do though.
Good luck with the install, and post pics.. Enjoy the ride and you gotta wait at least 24 hours for the power box to
Take in full effect on your ecu.. Good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Just got the Power Box, but I have a question before I attempt the install tonight.

My 530xi has the OEM BMW alarm system.

So do I still need to wait 10 minutes for the ECU go to sleep? Then disconnect the battery negative terminal in the trunk?

Or do I just go ahead and disconnect the battery without waiting for the ECU to go to sleep?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I did not disconnectthe battery at all. I turned the vehicle off, closed the doors and went to it. Absolutely no issues and it works like gold. Go for it brother.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Just pay close attention to the numbering in the instructions.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Just finished installing the Power Box about an hour ago, and it is fast in map 3!
You really feel the PBX at work in DS mode and under 3,5000 RPM, but not so much in manual mode.
Don't know about D mode, never tried it.
I have to reteach myself to ease off when turning left/right from stops, because the map 3 throttle remap is really aggressive. I scared myself a few times when turning left/right.

I followed tonymac's advice (Thanks tonymac!) and didn't disconnect the negative terminal on the battery even though I have the OEM BMW alarm. I just locked the car with the hood up, and left it to go eat dinner and came back 30 mins later.

As for the install, the BMS instructions are very clear and straight forward. The socket should be a 13mm, not 12mm. May be a 12mm on the 3 Series.
I had a hard time getting to the connectors, because whomever installed my ECU box at the factory didn't do the best job and had a whole bunch of tight wires/plugs running over top of the connectors. There were a few times when I was tugging at the ECU wire loom and heard something click, which scared me because I didn't want to disconnect some plug/wire and not know where it goes.
The only thing I would suggest differently for future DIY'ers is to detach some plugs within the ECU box, so that you can gain easy access to the connectors. Of course, if you do this, you should take a picture of the ECU box so you know which plug goes where, or quickly reroute it and reconnect it.

Best $300 I have ever spent for this car! I highly recommend it to all N52 owners whom haven't gotten it yet.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by blinkme_210
Just finished installing the Power Box about an hour ago, and it is fast in map 3!
You really feel the PBX at work in DS mode and under 3,5000 RPM, but not so much in manual mode.
I have to reteach myself to ease off when turning left/right from stops, because the map 3 throttle remap is really aggressive. I scared myself a few times when turning left/right.

I followed tonymac's advice (Thanks tonymac!) and didn't disconnect the negative terminal on the battery even though I have the OEM BMW alarm. I just locked the car with the hood up, and left it to go eat dinner and came back 30 mins later.

As for the install, the BMS instructions are very clear and straight forward. The socket should be a 13mm, not 12mm. May be a 12mm on the 3 Series.
I had a hard time getting to the connectors, because whomever installed my ECU box at the factory didn't do the best job and had a whole bunch of tight wires/plugs running over top of the connectors. There were a few times when I was tugging at the ECU wire loom and heard something click, which scared me because I didn't want to disconnect some plug/wire and not know where it goes.
The only thing I would suggest differently for future DIY'ers is to detach some plugs within the ECU box, so that you can gain easy access to the connectors. Of course, if you do this, you should take a picture of the ECU box so you know which plug goes where, or quickly reroute it and reconnect it.

Best $300 I have ever spent for this car! I highly recommend it to all N52 owners whom haven't gotten it yet.
Great to hear bro. It is a great mod for our version of the E60.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E60 530i

I agree. BMS Powerbox is a MUST for N52 engine owners! I was pleasantly surprised by how much difference it made. Install wasn't as easy as I thought (particularly accessing the ECU box, as there's one stupid bolt that's partially blocked) but it was totally worth it! It's gotta be the best mod I've done to any car (considering the price), bar none! Combine the BMS powerbox with RPI air scoop and BMC filter, and my car drives sooooooooooo much better now! The comfort mode now is like sport mode without all the jitters! Thank you BMS!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by blinkme_210

welcome to the club and good job on the mod have fun driving your car! enjoy

Quick Reply: BMS power box is a thumbs up:)