E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Black grille

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='237327' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:14 AM
think a new trend has been started, however, im not sure how it wud look on my alpine white 5er

It looks better on all colors, to have the kidneys painted to match body color. Leave the grill slats black, though.

I have always preferred the painted look over chrome, ever since my Honda & Acura days. Honda & Acura used to use body color instead of chrome on their higher end trims. Examples: Honda Civic and Accord EX coupe models used body color or black grills.... while all other trims had chrome. The same was true of the Acura Legend. The 4 door legend had chrome grills, but the coupe had body color.... and it looked MUCH better.

I had a 1994 Acura Legend coupe, in white... and the painted grill was nice. So I know it will look good on your E60.

Here's a Legend coupe in red. (Not mine) Notice no chrome on the grill.

I really do miss my Legend. I think it was one of the best looking cars ever made.

Ahhh that legend is clean looking. I always had a love for the Legend Coupe. For that time period, I think that was one of the best looking mid-luxury coupes ever.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Yeah.

Acura really screwed up when they dropped the Legend.... and changed their whole product line.

They have nothing today that can compare to the elegance of that car.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='237780' date='Feb 10 2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah.

Acura really screwed up when they dropped the Legend.... and changed their whole product line.

They have nothing today that can compare to the elegance of that car.
actually they do have the legend in Asia and Australia I believe. US version of RL is the new legend.
Attached Thumbnails Black grille-4041007_1_l.jpg  
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

actually they do have the legend in Asia and Australia I believe. US version of RL is the new legend.

Well.... maybe in name only.

But the RL doesn't have the level of design sophistication that the Legend had..... and it does not offer a coupe.

The CL was the coupe which tried to replace the Legend coupe, but it was nothing close.

When the 1991 Legend was released, it's design was really quite groundbreaking. And the design has aged so well.... A Legend coupe, if maintained well, looks almost as fresh today as it did in 1991. That is quite an accomplishment, for the time..... and for a Japanese automaker.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='237880' date='Feb 10 2006, 12:29 PM

Well.... maybe in name only.

But the RL doesn't have the level of design sophistication that the Legend had..... and it does not offer a coupe.

The CL was the coupe which tried to replace the Legend coupe, but it was nothing close.

When the 1991 Legend was released, it's design was really quite groundbreaking. And the design has aged so well.... A Legend coupe, if maintained well, looks almost as fresh today as it did in 1991. That is quite an accomplishment, for the time..... and for a Japanese automaker.

Agreed. The CL was a horrible design--that trunk was disgusting. I wont lie though, I thought the 1996-1998 3.2/2.5 TL was not bad looking.

The RL was been and has been a waste of time. A flagship for a luxury automaker with a V6 and uglier interior than their TL didnt make sense to me

I bet acura will come back in the near future for a Legend Coupe Look alike in order to get some type of buzz for a 2 door mid luxury coupe....
Old 02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributors

I bet acura will come back in the near future for a Legend Coupe Look alike in order to get some type of buzz for a 2 door mid luxury coupe....

Who knows?

Acura dropped the Legend due to branding issues. Basically, people knew the name "Legend", but were less aware of "Acura". In luxury cars, branding is everything.... and Acura was losing the battle to Lexus, BMW & Mercedes.

They switched to the letter names (ie RL, TL, CL) in order to place emphasis on the word "Acura", thereby increasing brand recognition. At the same time, the new style vehicles were shifting focus to a market demographic which competes less with Mercedes & BMW. Acura's now shoot for a mid-luxury customer.... young professonals who might have bought a BMW if they could afford it. The TL size competes with the 5 series, but the price is more like a 3-series.

In all honesty, the Acura TL is a very good value. The only option is Navigation, everything else is standard... except for some exterior options. The styling is a little boring, but not bad. But it certainly doesn't drive like a BMW.

I don't expect Acura to try to compete directly with BMW or Mercedes. I think they are going to stick to their current strategy. They just don't have a chance competing with brands like BMW.... unless some huge miracle happens.

It's really too bad. I mean.... take a good look at that picture of the Legend coupe. Don't you think that the E39 resembles the Legend a bit? Look at the hood lines... and the front bumper. I think that speaks well for Acura's design, because the E39 actually came out after that Legend did.