E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Black grille

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

LOOKS GREAT, just like mine, same color.
I also changed the roundels from blue+white to black+white.
Looks really good on a black car.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Painted my grills months ago.

Looks WAY better than ugly chrome. :thumbsdown:

Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Contributors

nice touch there subterFUSE!!. Definitely looks better than the chrome.

Yeah yeah, Just wondering why Iceman hasn't shot me yet for the foglights..
Old 02-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

I switched over to chrome grills and have a set of stock grills at home. I think I will paint them black too so I will have two.

My car is silver and I have to agree that black grills look way better in a black car. Do you guys think it would look better painted silver?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: White w/ auburn interior, 2005 BMW 545i, with sport package, smg, navigation, head-up display, premium sound package, and cold weather package

think a new trend has been started, however, im not sure how it wud look on my alpine white 5er
Old 02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

i prefer oem but its nice nonetheless
Old 02-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HaTe In Ur EyeZ' post='237089' date='Feb 8 2006, 08:59 PM
think a new trend has been started, however, im not sure how it wud look on my alpine white 5er

Dont paint them all black in non black car. Just paint like subterfuse did. He painted the frame to match body color and the vertical slabs to black.

especially on white, Im sure it will look great!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Contributors

This is if you paint all the slabs to white.

I dont like it in my opinion, too flashy. Painting only the frame is a lot better I think.

ps: photo taken from e90post.com
Attached Thumbnails Black grille-ins_sports_e90.jpg  
Old 02-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It looks better on all colors, to have the kidneys painted to match body color. Leave the grill slats black, though.

I have always preferred the painted look over chrome, ever since my Honda & Acura days. Honda & Acura used to use body color instead of chrome on their higher end trims. Examples: Honda Civic and Accord EX coupe models used body color or black grills.... while all other trims had chrome. The same was true of the Acura Legend. The 4 door legend had chrome grills, but the coupe had body color.... and it looked MUCH better.

I had a 1994 Acura Legend coupe, in white... and the painted grill was nice. So I know it will look good on your E60.

Here's a Legend coupe in red. (Not mine) Notice no chrome on the grill.

I really do miss my Legend. I think it was one of the best looking cars ever made.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributors

By the way..... just so everyone knows what I actually did to my E60.

I have a 545i SMG with sport package... so my car originally had the chrome kidneys and grill slats.

I purchased a set of black plastic kidneys/grills from eBay. When the grills arrived, I removed the grill slat portion from the kidney trim.... and had a friend paint the kidneys to match body color. I did nothing to the black grill slats.

Here is a pic of a chrome kidney/grill next to the painted plastic version.

Then I simply installed the new kidneys/grills and kept the OEM chrome grills in case I sell the car, and someone wants them.

And there you have it.

Now.... I better not start seeing a bunch of E60s driving around with painted kidneys. I like my car being different.

Quick Reply: Black grille