E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Black car is now white

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Windsor, Ontario... Canada... We got about a foot of snow this past week and they seemed to have oversalted. I have cleaned my car twice this past week and still my black saphire car looks almost white!!! It just seems so unfair to the car to put up with the salt eating away at it, but there is not much I can do until the roads dry up!!! Anyone else having this winter problem.

PS: I LOVE THE HEATED STEERING WHEEL!!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Members

Orient blue here, but i keep the car inside garage all the time, and whenever i take it outside.. i get a carwash before bringing it back home to park just so it doesnt get rusty. And man o man the heated steering wheel is just AMAZING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also the heated seats Also the whole car break system etc on the snow especially, it works awesome. I was thinking of getting snow tires, but i know they will cost a lot, are you using all season or snow tires on yours?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I drove to Michigan and back over the holiday, and it broke my heart to see how white my mystic blue was. So I got it washed yesterday upon return. It brought a smile to my face to see my blue baby back.

The heated wheel and seats are nice.

But it looks like the really cold (5 F) weather stuck my headlight washers or something. They haven't been working. Anybody else have this problem? That's just when I need them to work!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Members

I got my 545 without sport package just because I found it a hassel changing from sport to winter tires twice a year in my other car. If I live in a bit less snowy climate I would have got the sport, but in the summer u can bet I wish I had the sport... In any case, the car handles very well in the snow...

I actually just came back from getting my car washed! Its looks much better now, but im sure in a couple of days it will need washing again!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jpalmer51' date='Dec 27 2004, 01:16 PM
I got my 545 without sport package just because I found it a hassel changing from sport to winter tires twice a year in my other car.
[snapback]72791[/snapback]
Were you having the tires mounted/dismounted each time on the same set of wheels? If so, next time get the sport package, buy a snow tire and wheel package from the Tire Rack, then simply bolt on the winter set in winter and take them off in the summer. It takes less than an hour if you do it in your garage with the BMW jack, etc. If you don't want to DIY, it's pretty inexpensive to have someone do it for you.

When you add up the cost of the mount/dismount/balance two times a year, you can pretty much pay for the wheels in short time. Additionally, you can benefit from a different size snow tire to aid in traction and protect your rims. Also, you can save your summer wheels from oxidizing from the harsh winter environment.

It's really a solution that seems to be a win-win with no downside other than the additonal cash outlay upfront...
Old 12-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

You fellow Ontarians should really get snow tires. The difference in handling and traction is unbelievable. The problem with all seasons is that they get hard as rock below -10 or so, and they lose their traction, plus they are not very good on snow. I know getting snow tires may be a pain and an expense, but think about it this way, if it saves you an accident, how much is that worth?

Driving the last few days was pretty bad, especially on X-Mas day. I was coming home from a party in Mississauga (I live in North York) and the roads were crap.

I just got my car on December 23, and since then I have washed it twice. I agree, I usually wash it before it gets in my garage. This weather is the worst and with it warming up later this week, I think our cars are only going to get dirtier. By the way, I used to have a black 530, I find my Silver - Grey 545 does'nt look as dirty as fast.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Yeah, the roads / weather her in Taxachusetts is quite sucky as well.

My white car has become some nasty shade of grey.

Glad I have the mudflaps.

Rudy, close your eyes!!
Attached Thumbnails Black car is now white-yuck.jpg  
Old 12-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Members

yeah... I think most of my decision of not to get sport package was because my C320 mercedes I got in 2002 I got the sport package and found the ride VERY ROUGH! I drove someone elses thatr didnt have the sport package and it was a much nicer ride, and the handlign was still good. Obviosuly BMW has a better sport package then Mercedes but at the time I didnt really know that. I still love my car, and my next bmw will probably be a sport package! If only I found this site b4 I bought I would have had enough feedback to get sport
Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 27 2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, the roads / weather her in Taxachusetts is quite sucky as well.

My white car has become some nasty shade of grey.?

Glad I have the mudflaps.

Rudy, close your eyes!!?
[snapback]72974[/snapback]

HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you burn your car or somthing!! That doesnt look like just dirt, salt and grime on the car anymore!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Members

Same problem.

Got my 2nd car wash in 5 days today.

The roads in Toronto are horrible. Should get a little better, on Jan 31 its supposed to be +8.

Quick Reply: Black car is now white