E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bimmian Solaris Invisibulbs are crap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

i've had the invisibulbs for quite a while now, so far it hasn't blew up.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='789915' date='Feb 10 2009, 09:32 PM
Don't bulbs burn and then crack because they have been handled with bare hands and then not wiped properly before they are used? Oil in your fingers heats up the glass to more than it can handle, im guessing why they dont crack when you painted them is because the oil in your hands dont touch the glass as you have sprayed a layer of paint on them.
I didn't touch the glass... and this is good advice... at least with Halogen and other inert gas bulbs, but I honestly don't know if it applies to regular incadecent bulbs, but it doesn't hurt to avoid touching the glass.

Perhaps I'm being unfair calling their product crap... Maybe I was just unlucky getting two bulbs blowing up on me out of 3... However, to me this indicates a chronic problem.

As for longevity of this technique... who knows. Nick is probably right to suggest high-temp paint. I just used normal spray paint. Worst case is I notice some egg yoke over time and take it out and recoat it.

Sorry no pics, but I'm sure you guys can imagine it fairly easy!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Well the problem with recoating your stock bulbs is that the spray paint actually removes the amber color on the factory bulb. So it will begin to shine through white, not amber.

We are Bimmian Retailers and have carried the Solaris bulbs for quite some time now. They have continuously proven to be a reliable setup, so much so that we are one of their largest stocking retailers for this product. I am confident this is just an isolated issue, if it weren't, we would be up to our heads in warranty claims. Given that these come with a lifetime warranty, I can tell you that failures are very uncommon with the solaris bulbs. As the Sales Manager over here, if I had constant warranty claims on these bulbs, I would cut it instantly. It's not worth the hassle for us and more importantly not worth the hassle or risk to our customer's cars.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='789855' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:24 PM
This is probably a common DIY, but in case it's lost in the archives... here's a good tip for people interested in Invisibulbs for turn signals...

I bought a pair of Solaris Invisibulbs from Bimmian for my e60 M5 and one of the two blew up (burnt out and cracked the bulb) on my first test of it. The replacement they sent had the same problem. That's 2 out of 3 bulbs that immediately blew. Crap!

While I'm waiting to see what Bimmian will do (hopefully send me yet another replacement), I decided to try and duplicate the effect myself. I took one of my stock orange bulbs and simply frosted it lightly with a can of silver spray paint. I wrapped the base of the bulb in masking tape and clamped it in my desk vice. I then gently frosted the bulb with spray paint from about a foot away. Very light dusting. While Bimmian's bulbs have a mirror like finish, mine have a matt silver finish. After letting the paint dry, I popped it back in the car and tested it out... it works fine... just as bright as the Bimmian bulb and just as effective at eliminating the egg-yoke effect when off. To top it off, I suspect it will last longer than Bimmian's cheap-ass bulbs.

Next time DIY with a $5 can of spray paint and save yourself $30+ and a bunch of frustration!

Yep. Been doing that to almost all orange bulbs I've ever owned.

Works great.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

I know what i'll be doing this weekend. LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='790000' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:27 PM
i've had the invisibulbs for quite a while now, so far it hasn't blew up.

Same here, I love em!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

I returned all of them a while back. Way too dim. Try one OEM and one Solaris and put on the hazzards. Output is about 1/2 of OEM. Go with the Silvervisions from phillips or was it sylvania? Anyhow, I won't sacrafice safety just to get rid of yolks.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='790016' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:02 PM
I didn't touch the glass... and this is good advice... at least with Halogen and other inert gas bulbs, but I honestly don't know if it applies to regular incadecent bulbs, but it doesn't hurt to avoid touching the glass.

Perhaps I'm being unfair calling their product crap... Maybe I was just unlucky getting two bulbs blowing up on me out of 3... However, to me this indicates a chronic problem.
Well if neither of you touched the bulb with bare hands and they still burnt and cracked id have to agree that is crap! lol
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Members

i agree, these bulbs are shit, i bought 2 pairs, 1 pair was defective, sent another to me, still the same problem 3 months later. i would recommend you guys stay away from these bulbs, waste of money IMO
Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW' post='789885' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:55 PM
This is definitely a solution but just to warn you, make sure you use high temp paint. I did this to stock bulbs and it started to flake after a month. You also need to make sure to apply a thin coat to the bulb or you can cause it to overheat and melt the housings.
I've used this technique for years - for coating amber turnsignal bulbs they rarely get hot enough to cause a problem. A light frosting to disguise the orange bulb color is all that is required. Flaking may be caused if you haven't prepared the glass for paint. A wipe with alcohol (rubbing type - NOT SCOTCH ) works just fine!

Quick Reply: Bimmian Solaris Invisibulbs are crap!