E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bilstein Shocks and Active Roll Stabilization

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 545 with the sports package. It also has active roll stabilization (ARS).

I was looking to upgrade my suspension to the Bilstein sport shocks, but bavarian auto site says "Not for vehicles with active suspension." I called bav auto, and the rep told me that the only option for my car is the stock suspension. (Made by Sachs)

Has anyone with this option upgraded to Bilstein or Koni - if so have you had any problems?

I searched the forum, but could not find any specific answers. I found a lot of threads with people who upgraded sports package 545s to bilstein, but no mention of ARS. I thought this was a default option on sports package 545s?

Just wondering what all my options are!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

my boss's previous 545 has ARS and he had on HR sport springs with Bilstein shocks before we replaced the suspension with KW coilovers
Old 02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

correct me if I'm wrong, but aint ARS and active suspension two different things?

if you have active suspension (cars ride height adjusts depending on speed?) then you can't replace just the shocks since they're controlled hydraulically by the suspension system.

I don't have active suspension, but I replaced my shocks with bilsteins and I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

What shocks you planning on using HD's or Sports? I too have sport springs, but I just munted the springs only on a non sport e60. I too am planning on changing shocks to bilsteins...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have the bilstein sport shocks with H&R sport springs and I love them.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Yeah the ARS is a Active Roll bar the decouples and recouple depending on if you are turning...

Should have nothing to do with the Shocks and springs....
If you had a E61 with load level then you would be talking Coil over only...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Members

thanks for the replies!

Yea its weird, I know I have "dynamic drive", because when i really crank a corner on an unusually cold day i get a "Dynamic Drive" malfunction. Also, i do have the Active Roll Stabilization, because i can see the equipment for it under my car. I believe "Dynamic Drive" and "Active Roll Stabilization" are the same thing. Not sure though.

So anyway, when i pull up the Bilstein Shocks on bavarian auto's site, it says "Not for cars with active suspension."

When I called Bavarian Auto and asked the guy about it, and told him what I had, he said I could only by stock shocks. Well I would prefer the Bilsteins. I am just wondering if they will be throwing IDrive errors out or something.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by Spaceroach
thanks for the replies!

Yea its weird, I know I have "dynamic drive", because when i really crank a corner on an unusually cold day i get a "Dynamic Drive" malfunction. Also, i do have the Active Roll Stabilization, because i can see the equipment for it under my car. I believe "Dynamic Drive" and "Active Roll Stabilization" are the same thing. Not sure though.

So anyway, when i pull up the Bilstein Shocks on bavarian auto's site, it says "Not for cars with active suspension."

When I called Bavarian Auto and asked the guy about it, and told him what I had, he said I could only by stock shocks. Well I would prefer the Bilsteins. I am just wondering if they will be throwing IDrive errors out or something.
I think ARS is different from active suspension, i had DD on my car aswell and the shocks were replace with Koni FSD, no error code or whatsoever, just feel the rear is not sit low enough.