E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='750977' date='Dec 22 2008, 11:09 PM
I remember this "static" issue. I still encounter this on occasion in my car with AiB v3. Some days are bad, but mostly good. I think I will be trying the suggested fix below. After shelling out $250+ for these AiBs, one would think that you won't have any static problems.

See above ^.
I feel your pain!

Guys... It's not the bulbs let's get off of that idea. I love being right btw hehe Anyway, it appears that this is different from vehicle to vehicle so it's a manufacturing defect perhaps? eitherway, it's nothing BMW will address since it seems to happen with aftermarket products.
There's nothing ANY manufacturer of bulbs could have done to get rid of this except improve the existing BMW wiring which is ridiculous or adding a ferrite choke to the product for the few that do have issues.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750986' date='Dec 23 2008, 12:18 AM
I feel your pain!

Guys... It's not the bulbs let's get off of that idea. I love being right btw hehe Anyway, it appears that this is different from vehicle to vehicle so it's a manufacturing defect perhaps? eitherway, it's nothing BMW will address since it seems to happen with aftermarket products.
There's nothing ANY manufacturer of bulbs could have done to get rid of this except improve the existing BMW wiring which is ridiculous or adding a ferrite choke to the product for the few that do have issues.

Its not a defect, it makes sense. Why shield a line that doesn't have LED or HID type lights? The stock 2004 530 comes with a regular incandescent bulb for Angel Eyes. No need to shield it from RFI. Later models did have different lights I believe and who knows, maybe they addressed the problem? Needless to say, I have to try a choker today after work and see if it will solve the problem. My issue is I don't think the choker will fit in the compartment. its too cramped.

Also, here is a quote on Radio Shack's website about this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...tab=custRatings

RFI chokes such as this will NOT work for supression of ignition noise, nor were they designed to. However, on BALANCED audio lines, such as telephone or professional audio circuits, depending on the FREQUENCY one is trying to surpress, they do a creditable job. IF you're trying to get rid of an AM broadcast carrier, I recommend wrapping the wire thru the choke 5 or 6 times, then snapping it shut and holding it shut with a ty-wrap. The choke's efficiency goes down as the frequency goes up, due to distributed capacitance, and lead length. But they should be useable at least to 30 MHz.
Whatever the F that means.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

funny? no problems with mine
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='751360' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:58 AM
Needless to say, I have to try a choker today after work and see if it will solve the problem. My issue is I don't think the choker will fit in the compartment. its too cramped.
Keep us "2004-owners" posted
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I have the AiB V3.0 with no problems at all! BTW, I'm concerned when we are quoting Radio Shack on the Forum!! Good Luck with the fix!!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Just an update. I've installed 2 Ferrite Chokers in-line over the small guage wires coming out of the LED bulb in the light casing and the problem persists. No change whatsoever. Stumped, totally.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='751744' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:32 PM
Just an update. I've installed 2 Ferrite Chokers in-line over the small guage wires coming out of the LED bulb in the light casing and the problem persists. No change whatsoever. Stumped, totally.

How many times did you wrap the wires around the chokers?

I'm guessing a mix 43 based core will work better than a mix 61 (like the Radio Shack ones), but even then, it'll take multiple loops through.

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_C...rite_cores.html
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NobleForums' post='751799' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:05 AM
How many times did you wrap the wires around the chokers?

I'm guessing a mix 43 based core will work better than a mix 61 (like the Radio Shack ones), but even then, it'll take multiple loops through.

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_C...rite_cores.html

I can't do anything more than clip the Ferrite core directly onto the wires. There is NO slack and no room in there to do otherwise.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Does anyone know if you don't get this problem when you have navigation (with the shark fin) ? I read in one of these FM interference threads that moving the FM antenna away from the lights helps. So I wondered whether when you have navi, they automatically have the FM antenna in the shark fin.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='812358' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if you don't get this problem when you have navigation (with the shark fin) ? I read in one of these FM interference threads that moving the FM antenna away from the lights helps. So I wondered whether when you have navi, they automatically have the FM antenna in the shark fin.

I've tried everything to remedy this problem to no avail. I've tried Ferrite chokes, etc. Nothing works.

I'm afraid to even get metallic tints now because I won't be able to hear a damn thing through my radio if I do.

Quick Reply: Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.