E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds stupid right? LED lights or other bulbs can't cause interference with FM signals in your BMW, right? Uh, WRONG...

Simple story:

1) Ordered some 7000K L.E.D. Angel Eye kit seen here:

Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.-5a3f_1.jpg

2) Installed them through my local Motor Werks dealership because I just didn't want to fiddle with any electrical work.

3) Turn the parking lights on, no problems, they look great.

Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.-100_0541.jpg

4) Turn your FM radio on and the channels that used to come in clear now come in fuzzed out and horrible reception.

5) Turn the lights off? NO PROBLEMS with the radio. Trun them on, problem happens again.

Its very very disheartening because I spent a good chunk on these lights for shipping and also 30 minutes labor at the dealer on a product I pretty much have to remove and throw away. What a total waste. By the way, this issue did NOT happen with the regular old bulbs that I had in place prior. I "do" have Xenon headlights. I was under the assumption that these replacement lights would cause no problems, I assumed wrong.

Does anyone know if this is a KNOWN ISSUE or can be fixed somehow? Is this why people buy AngeliBright? Because they are ACTUALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ZERO ISSUES? .... HELP!!!

Apparently I'm not the only one that has this issue: http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-report...dio-static.html

Not that its the end of the world. FM radio sucks nowadays anyways, but its still really annoying.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='750820' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:41 PM
Sounds stupid right? LED lights or other bulbs can't cause interference with FM signals in your BMW, right? WRONG!

Simple story:

1) Ordered some 7000K L.E.D. Angel Eye kit seen here:

Attachment 67723

2) Installed them through my local Motor Werks dealership because I just didn't want to fiddle with any electrical work.

3) Turn the parking lights on, no problems, they look great.

4) Turn your FM radio on and the channels that used to come in clear now come in fuzzed out and horrible reception.

5) Turn the lights off? NO PROBLEMS with the radio. Trun them on, problem happens again.

Its very very disheartening because I spent a good chunk on these lights for shipping and also 30 minutes labor at the dealer on a product I pretty much have to remove and throw away. What a total waste.

Does anyone know if this is a KNOWN ISSUE or can be fixed somehow? Is this why people buy AngeliBright? Because they are ACTUALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ZERO ISSUES? .... HELP!!!
I don't know what they did when they installed the lights, but there should be NO issues period. there's no way that lights cause an interference like that! just to make sure, i went out to my car and tried it and there's nothing wrong and contacted some other guys who have the same exact bulbs in their 5 and 6ers but nothing. nobody has experienced this.

AngeliBrights have the same guts. LED bulb = LED bulb.. there's only so much you can do with them.

so basically when you're in the car and turn on the lights (just the AE's) it starts messing with the signal? then when you turn them off the signal comes in clear again?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750828' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:56 PM
I don't know what they did when they installed the lights, but there should be NO issues period. there's no way that lights cause an interference like that! just to make sure, i went out to my car and tried it and there's nothing wrong and contacted some other guys who have the same exact bulbs in their 5 and 6ers but nothing. nobody has experienced this.

so basically when you're in the car and turn on the lights (just the AE's) it starts messing with the signal? then when you turn them off the signal comes in clear again?

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-report...dio-static.html

and

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/hid-k...rference-30691/

Bulb in, bulb out. Thats all that was done. Plug N Play.

What some are saying is that the HID ballast is putting electrical noise on the 12V line of the car because of the bulb for whatever reason and causing the static. Its just the strangest damn thing.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Contributors

LED bulbs don't have EMI he's having issues bc his aftermarket HID-Kit which is quite different from the LED bulbs. can anyone else think what could be the cause? when the shop installed the lights did they mess with the battery at all? I know shops like to disconnect the battery when they mess with the lights bc they're worried about getting 20000V check the batter terminals (especially ground) and make sure they are on right and clean
Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750833' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:02 PM
LED bulbs don't have EMI he's having issues bc his aftermarket HID-Kit which is quite different from the LED bulbs. can anyone else think what could be the cause? when the shop installed the lights did they mess with the battery at all? I know shops like to disconnect the battery when they mess with the lights bc they're worried about getting 20000V check the batter terminals (especially ground) and make sure they are on right and clean

No, I was next to the tech when he did it so I could watch what he was doing. He twisted off the cover to expose the inside of the light casing, took curved plyers and removed the light, put in the other, and closed the cap. Done.

He didn't, however, use the harness that was in the box that came with them. He said it was not necessary as it was only for older BMW's and mine worked just fine. I assume that is so because the lights worked without an issue. This harness has nothing to it, either. Its just 2 wires with leads on each side. Nothing in-line like a resistor, capacitor, whatever, that would prevent this problem from happening.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='750835' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:05 PM
No, I was next to the tech when he did it so I could watch what he was doing. He twisted off the cover to expose the inside of the light casing, took curved plyers and removed the light, put in the other, and closed the cap. Done.

He didn't, however, use the harness that was in the box that came with them. He said it was not necessary as it was only for older BMW's and mine worked just fine. I assume that is so because the lights worked without an issue. This harness has nothing to it, either. Its just 2 wires with leads on each side. Nothing in-line like a resistor, capacitor, whatever, that would prevent this problem from happening.
you should always use all parts that are included with an item. I don't think there is anything in that wiring but the bulbs shouldn't cause any issues to begin with. Uhh how exactly did he plug it in without the adapter cable that came with it? do you have any pics of this install? or the wires? i'd sure like to see how he managed to plug that in
Old 12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Fuzzy Radio??? Who knew! Good Luck with the fix!!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

This was a big problem with some of the earlier LED based angel eyes for pre-LCI cars. V1 bulbs from one company (not this specific one posted by the OP) had definite issues that V2 fixed. There were long threads about it on the m5board.

I didn't try, but have you considered using a small snap-on ferrite core?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributors

How exactly do LED bulbs cause radio interference? I'd like to know the logic behind that claim especially considering that nobody else seems to have had or have this issue.

can you post some links?

with some cheap HID-Kits it might be possible as there is some extensive electric involved. needless to say that the engine bay is shielded for exact that purpose to shield the radio from the electronics in the engine compartment.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750866' date='Dec 22 2008, 05:46 PM
How exactly do LED bulbs cause radio interference? I'd like to know the logic behind that claim especially considering that nobody else seems to have had or have this issue.

can you post some links?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry576626

even aib's have/had this issue

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=34003

Quick Reply: Beware: Some LED Angel Eyes cause FM Radio Fuzz.