E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Better handling, eliminate body roll without affecting warranty. How?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='736474' date='Dec 2 2008, 10:48 PM
Sway bars. And to reduce flex in the chassis, you can add front and rear strut tower braces. And of course, coilovers, like everyone else has mentioned above. Those 3 things will change the entire feel of the car.
Cool! What exactly is a coilover? Also I am assuming that the rear strut bar will be visible in the trunk?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Originally Posted by radz550i' post='736477' date='Dec 2 2008, 10:49 PM
+1 with Dinan!
Yeah I have to go Dinan all the way through local authorized dealer to maintain my warranty. Does Dinan make sway bar, strut bar, coilovers, springs etc. Any particular part I should use? I definitely want sway bars for front and rear. I am also thinking about getting the strut bar for the front. Does Dinan make springs and coilovers?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='736472' date='Dec 2 2008, 10:44 PM
+1 coilovers and sways to reduce much body roll
I hear coilovers are expensive
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have bilstein shocks and H&R sport springs on not much roll anymore, and no these parts will not void warranty unless what goes wrong the dealer can prove that it was caused by the aftermarket parts. I had all sorts of stuff done to my e46 and the dealer had no problems warrantying things.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='737807' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:22 PM
I have bilstein shocks and H&R sport springs on not much roll anymore, and no these parts will not void warranty unless what goes wrong the dealer can prove that it was caused by the aftermarket parts. I had all sorts of stuff done to my e46 and the dealer had no problems warrantying things.
How did you go about officially "warrantying things"? Was it just a verbal ok from the dealership or did you get something in writing?...or are they saying that it will not cause any harm therefore it will not void any warranties?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='737838' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:59 AM
How did you go about officially "warrantying things"? Was it just a verbal ok from the dealership or did you get something in writing?...or are they saying that it will not cause any harm therefore it will not void any warranties?
verbally they have said that if things aren't found to be directly a cause of the aftermarket parts then it has to be covered. For instance I have springs on my car but say my radiator goes they can't tell me that my radiator is not covered because of my springs being there. But if say if you have cold air intake and you get hydro lock and they find that the water came in from your intake then yes they will probably tell you thats not covered.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='735768' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:45 AM
I have a new 2008 535i but it does not have the sport package. No dynamic handling either. I find the body roll excessive and handling weak. How do I improve handling, elimiate body roll while still mainting a smooth comfortable ride and how do I do this without affecting my 4 year/ 80 K warranty? My SC told me that I cannot do certain modifications otherwise it will void warranty. He is still looking into it. I am in Canada.

He said that I could possibly go with Dinan springs. Basically I want to get the 550i kind of look and comparable handling. I want the M aerodynamic kit and 550i rims package (19"). I have Park Distance Control.

Please advise. Thanks!
Dinan ... just go to the website, it tells what your options are.

I had Dinan stage 2 suspension in my E46 M3 because the factory ride was horrible. The Dinan suspension improved the ride AND improved the handling...
Old 12-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='737909' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:24 PM
verbally they have said that if things aren't found to be directly a cause of the aftermarket parts then it has to be covered. For instance I have springs on my car but say my radiator goes they can't tell me that my radiator is not covered because of my springs being there. But if say if you have cold air intake and you get hydro lock and they find that the water came in from your intake then yes they will probably tell you thats not covered.
Ok. I guess with some modifications we have to take a risk
Do you have a cold air intake? Have you noticed any difference?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='737920' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:50 PM
Dinan ... just go to the website, it tells what your options are.

I had Dinan stage 2 suspension in my E46 M3 because the factory ride was horrible. The Dinan suspension improved the ride AND improved the handling...
Just shocks? No springs?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='737967' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:01 PM
Ok. I guess with some modifications we have to take a risk
Do you have a cold air intake? Have you noticed any difference?
I don't have cold air on this car, I am planning on buying the rpi scoop and filter replacement. As mentioned Dinan is an option if you are worried about warranty, although Dinan is expensive and if you don't have a dinan dealer near by the warranty coverage doesn't really help you anyway. Dinan's policy is basically that if something happens to your car due to there parts they will fix it.

Quick Reply: Better handling, eliminate body roll without affecting warranty. How?