E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best vendor for front grills?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Hey now fellow e60 fans!
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I've searched up and down and still cannot get a definitive answer. Time to get rid of my chrome front grills and replace them...debating on having them done the same color as the car (Black Sapphire), or flat black or even just gloss black...most likely will go gloss or painted.
I see so many cheap ones on eBay, but I take it that they probably don't fit well, flimsy, bad paint....etc., I'm sure you get what you pay for as they say.
But, any advice on who to buy them from? I'm thinking Trinity, but I only see matte finish, and I suppose I could have them painted then the cost of everything is going to go way up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes please avoid ebay ones they are cheap and ugly, Trinity sells some nice quality grills that are matte black (where I got mine after looking at EBay grills). There are some DIY guides on installation but take caution when installing these because the clips are known to break during install and uninstalling on all grills!

I've seen a few members also paint the OEM grill and also the matte grill a gloss black color if that was what you are looking for.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Thank you for your response, Persian_535i!
Yeah, read the guides, I'm not too worried about that. I guess I'm looking to be a bit "different" for wanting either gloss or matching paint instead of matte black. I think on most colors the matte would work, but being mine is Black Sapphire, I just don't think it will look right. Bimmian.com has painted ones, but $150+ after shipping is just tough for some plastic. I'll keep poking around I guess.
Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Yes please avoid ebay ones they are cheap and ugly, Trinity sells some nice quality grills that are matte black (where I got mine after looking at EBay grills). There are some DIY guides on installation but take caution when installing these because the clips are known to break during install and uninstalling on all grills!

I've seen a few members also paint the OEM grill and also the matte grill a gloss black color if that was what you are looking for.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Home Depot

I plasti-dipped mine, and it looked great. Even after over a year and a half, the stuff was still holding strong.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Members

Been debating that route as well...do they make a gloss plastidip?
Originally Posted by Ricapar
Home Depot

I plasti-dipped mine, and it looked great. Even after over a year and a half, the stuff was still holding strong.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

yes the make gloss, but you'll have a better time finding that online then at home depot
Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Just a thought. I'm going to paint the slats gloss black and leave the surrounds chrome. BTW, Modbargains also sells grills.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Yes, go for gloss black. The car would look sporty and yet retain the refined luxury look.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

Trinity offers some nice grills....they are matte finish and mine have held up well.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by cryptical
Thank you for your response, Persian_535i!
Yeah, read the guides, I'm not too worried about that. I guess I'm looking to be a bit "different" for wanting either gloss or matching paint instead of matte black. I think on most colors the matte would work, but being mine is Black Sapphire, I just don't think it will look right. Bimmian.com has painted ones, but $150+ after shipping is just tough for some plastic. I'll keep poking around I guess.

I think I bought mine from Bav Autosport. I got the black plastic ones, and I had them painted with matching body color at a local auto repair shop.
Painted to match the car is the best look.

Quick Reply: Best vendor for front grills?