E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The best upgrade for any non M series E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545iA

I apologize for my bad english first of all...
I have used my new diff for a week and loving it:-)
I should have installed it earlier:-P

It is not a very hard job to do (about 3-4 hours):

First, the exhaust needs to be let loose from the rear, to get access to driveshaftshaft. Then unmount the output shafts and driveshaft. The diff itself is mounted using 3 bolts.

Then drain the oil and disassemble the diff. The shaft seals are a pain to remove without damage, but no worries, new ones are included with quaife diff. Then the final drive gear ring needs to be unmounted and mounted on the new diff. The bearings need to be removed also, but with caution, if you damage these, you will need new ones.

The gear ring and bearings mounted:

Then the new diff into the housing, be sure to use the same bearing shell as before for each side.

And then finally, assemble the housing, install the new diff, fill it with oil and volla you're done:-)
For the job its needed to have couple of tools, like torque sensing wrench and a press to install and uninstall bearings. It is not a clean job also, you need to clean the housing with for example using brake cleaner. The final drive gear bolts needs to be closed with 100Nm and then tighten with 30' more, additionally its needed to use Threadlocking glue with these bolts.

After 1000km i will change the oil for a new one to be sure that any junk that may be in there is drained and the diff is happy for a long time:-)
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

Please help me out here... The whole thing looks interesting, but why would someone do this?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

If you have a RWD BMW that has more than 200hp, you cant drive it like it should be driven with one wheel drive. The M5 is superior in every way in that matter. For example i couldnt get traction off the line and i couldnt accelerate out of the bends fast enough to feel like a sportscar, witch the V8 bmw should be. I hated the DSC or DTC yellow light at every corner and off the line, now the flashing light is 70% less seen, and usually i drive with all off:-) I really think that this upgrade needs to be the first mod for E60 to experience the "sheer driving pleasure" witch the BMW stands for... With V8 models its a must, with others, it depends, how tough is the winter and so on...

A little teaser: A little review of quaife diff
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Nice write up mate!!

Where did you get you LSD and the price? if you dont mind
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Members

You are from UK, it shouldnt be a problem:-)
http://www.birdsauto.com/
The list price is 830 GBP, but you can get it cheaper for sure. (mine came for around 750 GBP + installation, wich didnt cost much, for around 100 GBP wich included oil etc.)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC 19 INCH RIMS SPORTS SUSPENSION SPORTS SEATS,DVD PLAYER,SPORTS STEERIN WHEEL, FULL ELECTRICS, REAR SPORTS SPOILER

Great right up thanx for the info. Something i will think about as a new mod
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

It's amazing how such a tiny part could make a drastic difference like that.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Great mod - thanks for the feedback.
This is on my wishlist - I'm getting tired of wheel spin off the line and powerslides aren't as they should.

with the pound/euro exchange rate as it is, I should get off my lazy ass and get a firm offer from Birds...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Members

I had plans for about a year, with my previous 530i E60 the "peg-leg" wasnt such a big problem, because off the line the 275 rear tire was enough. But last spring with V8 i was very dissapointed to lose a drag in wet at the traffic light to my previous S6 E60. And ofcourse it isnt right to drift a family car, but dammit its fun:-) All the DSC and DTC thingies work as previously, i tested quaife in the snow last saturday with my 285 summer tires:-)
So no drawbacks, and tons of fun and sportyness. Now all i need is to get quarter mile in around 14sec (we had a official dragrace here and i could only get 15s, because the temperature was so low and the summer tires arent working properly. Havent had enough time to test my quaife before and so on... :-P I would have been better off with my 245 winter tires, because a winter tire is much softer, and gets off the line much better when cold. Also, i try to warm up my tires next time, a 2-3sec burnout will be enough...)
Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Excellent mod and definitely the next performance mod on my list. I can definitely relate to the one-wheel wonder in the V8 and how it really does taking away from the driving fun. Great topic and thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: The best upgrade for any non M series E60