E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BBS LM/Cheap Rubber Vs. BBS LM Rep with Yoko Advans

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by naj155' post='1088660' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:53 PM
dont go for rep.. go for other jap wheels.. go for work wheels. is cheap and good quality, especially VS-XX
Since when were work wheels cheap? Especially in 20'', last time I checked they are pretty much in the same range as BBS wheels.

Also, where can you find Iforged wheels in 20'' for $2,400 new? If you can find them for that price used that's a pretty good deal.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Tires wear out...

Real LM's are forever

The difference between average tires and awesome tires can be hard to feel during average street driving.

But the difference between heavy, crappy, maybe not perfectly true reps vs high quality forged wheels can be felt in almost all kinds of driving.

Lighter perfectly true wheels give better ride over bumpy roads as the suspension works better, better ride on the highway because you don't get vibration, make the car faster due to less unsprung weight and so on...

Get the real LM's

I agonized for weeks about spending the money for real LM's and now that I have had them three years, on two different cars, I think they were worth it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='1088881' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:36 AM
Tires wear out...

Real LM's are forever

The difference between average tires and awesome tires can be hard to feel during average street driving.

But the difference between heavy, crappy, maybe not perfectly true reps vs high quality forged wheels can be felt in almost all kinds of driving.

Lighter perfectly true wheels give better ride over bumpy roads as the suspension works better, better ride on the highway because you don't get vibration, make the car faster due to less unsprung weight and so on...

Get the real LM's

I agonized for weeks about spending the money for real LM's and now that I have had them three years, on two different cars, I think they were worth it.
even if the tires i put on the wheels are sub par for the time being
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by FlyM5' post='1088658' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:51 PM
I think the Reps are not forged correct? I would go with Iforged and have plenty $$ left over.
Last i looked it was like $2400/set. Check with Trinity Autosport!
thanks Tom

for Iforged wheels, it will depend on dimensions plus the custom finishes (which you can pick yourself), then the wheels are made from there. we can get BBS LMs as well if you wish
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='1089053' date='Jan 12 2010, 09:49 AM
thanks Tom

for Iforged wheels, it will depend on dimensions plus the custom finishes (which you can pick yourself), then the wheels are made from there. we can get BBS LMs as well if you wish
and what kind of price can you guys do for 19s in an aggressive offset?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN' post='1088850' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:23 AM
Since when were work wheels cheap? Especially in 20'', last time I checked they are pretty much in the same range as BBS wheels.

Also, where can you find Iforged wheels in 20'' for $2,400 new? If you can find them for that price used that's a pretty good deal.

I was quoted about $3200 for a new set of 20" Works in standard colors. $2900 for 19"s. Not exactly the range of BBS LM's since a new set of 20"s would be retail $6k+, though can be had closer to $5k. 19"s are about $4880 retail.

Tires not included.

One way to approach your final decision is to figure out your driving habits and requirements. If you drive your E60 on the twisties and track it, then of course go for the best performance tires and wheels. If you are going for looks regarding your wheels, then of course a quality wheel in a known brand sounds like what you are leaning towards. If you daily drive your car or just commute it then getting the most expensive performance tires shouldn't be necessary, nor practical, though on the flip side, don't buy the cheapest crap on the market since you still want decent rubber to at least protect your wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1089144' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:01 PM
I was quoted about $3200 for a new set of 20" Works in standard colors. $2900 for 19"s. Not exactly the range of BBS LM's since a new set of 20"s would be retail $6k+, though can be had closer to $5k. 19"s are about $4880 retail.

Tires not included.

One way to approach your final decision is to figure out your driving habits and requirements. If you drive your E60 on the twisties and track it, then of course go for the best performance tires and wheels. If you are going for looks regarding your wheels, then of course a quality wheel in a known brand sounds like what you are leaning towards. If you daily drive your car or just commute it then getting the most expensive performance tires shouldn't be necessary, nor practical, though on the flip side, don't buy the cheapest crap on the market since you still want decent rubber to at least protect your wheels.

very good point,

currently working a deal for some 245/35/19-275/30/19 Potenza S-03 tires with 65% tread left for $300, if i snatch those up then it makes my choice in wheels alot easier
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

For wheels with a lip I would highly recommend 20''. And considering BBS LMs are step lipped, they will look even smaller so I would not even consider anything under 20''. 19'' wheels with a lip looks oddly small on our cars to me. But if you like them then by all means 19'' are lighter, would perform better and ride better. However, I think if you're going to get the real deal, dishing out an extra $400-$700 or so for 20'' over 19'' seems worth it especially since you'll probably keep the wheels for a while and you would already be spending a lot for them.

Overall:
20'' = bling
19'' = performance

Buy your LMs already so we can all see pictures .
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1089144' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:01 PM

Tires not included.

Thanks redeyejedi, I was wrong in comparing Work wheels to the price of BBS LMs. Forgot how expensive LMs actually are new since I've quit looking because it makes me too sad knowing I will never afford them.

I still don't consider $3,200 for wheels cheap, but Work wheels look good and are very solid wheels. That's also $800 more than what the other person who said they run about $2,400 (that's a 25% difference between your quoted price and pretty far off).

To the OP, you might want to consider Work VS-XX, they look really similar to BBS LM's, can come in step lip, are cheaper, bit heavier, but really good wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Contributors

there is a thread from anther forum that shows all the high end wheel weights and I think for 19's the bbs lm's ran around 23lbs and 26lbs and the reps for those are right in there just in cast

however they didnt do the work wheels for weights, just some vlks and some other other ones

Quick Reply: BBS LM/Cheap Rubber Vs. BBS LM Rep with Yoko Advans