E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bass Knob Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011 | 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray Metallic 530i

So recently i decided to put a subwoffer in my car after seeing member Anzafin's Design here. My best buy hookup helped me get a good price on a 10" alpine r-series sub and matching amp, so i pulled the trigger on the whole project. I was nervous about having to cut a hole in my seat but everything turned out great! Sub fits like a glove in my trunk and is a great addition to my L7 system. Now to get to the nitty gritty, I don't want to have to run to my trunk every time i want to crank my system up or down, so i got your standard remote bass knob. Only problem is i dont know how to run the wiring to the driver in an aesthetically pleasing way. I have searched on the various forums and haven't really found any good info or DIYs for this project. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2011 | 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Congrats!

Why don't you run the wire like I did? Under the door sills, wire pushed under the floor matt. When you remove your rear seat you can see where lots of wires have been brought from trunk into the cabin along the sides.

- Antti -
Old 07-15-2011 | 06:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Why don't you run the wire like I did? Under the door sills, wire pushed under the floor matt. When you remove your rear seat you can see where lots of wires have been brought from trunk into the cabin along the sides.
I never even thought of that . How do I remove the door sills?
Old 07-15-2011 | 07:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cincohockey62
I never even thought of that . How do I remove the door sills?
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/82/33
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/82/35
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/86/99
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/46/66
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/86/78
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/82/26
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/04/86

Sorry they're not in logical order.

- Antti -
Old 07-16-2011 | 03:44 AM
Members

No worries, im not a very logical thinker . Thanks for all the help from the start, I'm out of the country right now but I will get to wiring as soon as I get back, then ill post up pics of the whole system for yall.
Old 07-19-2011 | 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by cincohockey62
So recently i decided to put a subwoffer in my car after seeing member Anzafin's Design here. My best buy hookup helped me get a good price on a 10" alpine r-series sub and matching amp, so i pulled the trigger on the whole project. I was nervous about having to cut a hole in my seat but everything turned out great! Sub fits like a glove in my trunk and is a great addition to my L7 system. Now to get to the nitty gritty, I don't want to have to run to my trunk every time i want to crank my system up or down, so i got your standard remote bass knob. Only problem is i dont know how to run the wiring to the driver in an aesthetically pleasing way. I have searched on the various forums and haven't really found any good info or DIYs for this project. Any pointers would be appreciated.
I'm getting ready to do the same, add a sub to the trunk. I have called several shops for qoutes and such and will make the move in the next few days. I was assuming that the bass will be controlled by the bass selection in the i drive radio functions...? Now I'm thinking otherwise. Do you have any control in with this method?
Old 07-19-2011 | 07:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I'm getting ready to do the same, add a sub to the trunk. I have called several shops for qoutes and such and will make the move in the next few days. I was assuming that the bass will be controlled by the bass selection in the i drive radio functions...? Now I'm thinking otherwise. Do you have any control in with this method?
Well, I've taken the signal to a sub from the wires that go to OEM subs under the seats. So, when I change the idrive settings, sure it does affect the signal that goes to an aftermarket subwoofer amplifier. So it does affect, but it affects to the OEM subs at the same time and the result in an overall sound isn't usually the wanted. Therefore the basic settings are done on the amp, and the gain is controlled via remote knob.

Does this make any sense?

- Antti -
Old 07-19-2011 | 03:37 PM
Members

I got the PNP sub harness from member Tecnic, Made the whole install very easy. Me and a buddy made the box ourselves (Antti be proud!), if you even the slightest bit of handiness I recommend giving it a try. You get to brag that you built your own sub box, and it'll save you enough for more than a few rounds of beers . To add to what Antti said the bass control from the idrive menu would adjust the bass as part of your entire sound system and not just your aftermarket subwoofer, Thus the remote knob.
Old 07-20-2011 | 08:49 AM
Contributors

Congratulations man!
I also use the Technic's harness and it makes the install very easy. Now we need pics of your unique subwoofer enclosure!

- Antti -
Old 07-21-2011 | 08:03 AM
Members

Ask and you shall receive! iPhone pics so don't expect too much haha. Oh also everything is in a purely functional state gotta make it all perty later this week. Enjoy!

Look from inside the car
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0813-1.jpg

The amp, my friend came up with an ingenious way to mount it by modifying a metal bracket that was already there
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0814-1.jpg

The sub, still needs paint on the front and more coats all around. Tried something different by spraying it with a truck bed lining spray, just a little touch of Texas flavor
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0816.jpg
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0817-1.jpg

Everything together
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0818.jpg

Bonus picture of my messy trunk!!
Bass Knob Wiring-img_0815.jpg

Quick Reply: Bass Knob Wiring