E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Do you prefer your E60 Badged or Debadged?
Badged
55.61%
Debadged
44.39%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Badged or Debadged ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

License plates are a choice in a lot of the states. Most let you do with an entire organization if you want to add a copyright logo.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Not in Germany.
The most city do allow you to select your license plate and charge you for it. But some are not doing it at all.
Adding company logos or stuff like that is illegal and can't be done in Germany. Also the beginning of the license plate is always the code for the city you are registered. Just a few exceptions are made by the government, but not for companys.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM
JDN
Contributors

Ice, company logos are no goes, in Texas, too. But, for a non profit organization you can designate a portion of the fee to be applied to a public cause. For example, the tag that I sport supports scholarships and 4H youth programs. There is a personalized plate program, too -- no logos.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Yep, same in my state... We have them for select universities, cultural groups, veterans, civic organizations, you name it... Mine for example is an Eagle Scout tag. A portion of my fee's go to the Boy Scouts, and you have to be one to have one.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:21 PM
JDN
Contributors

That being one to have one might be universal, too, since those rules apply here. Most states have patterned their statues and rules together. In most cases, that's good.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:42 PM
cps

When I lived in the UK, I'd often see "badging" aswell as "debadging".

I remember on several occassions seeing "318i M" badged cars, or similar designation with the "M" logo.

Now these cars were all perfectly nice cars, but I couldn't understand why people would add an "M" logo to a car that wansn't.

Anyone who know knew what a BMW "M" designation meant, would know instantly that it wasn't an "M" car. It seemed self-defeating to me.

What are these people thinking?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cps' date='Aug 19 2004, 04:42 PM
When I lived in the UK, I'd often see "badging" aswell as "debadging".

I remember on several occassions seeing "318i M" badged cars, or similar designation with the "M" logo.

Now these cars were all perfectly nice cars, but I couldn't understand why people would add an "M" logo to a car that wansn't.

Anyone who know knew what a BMW "M" designation meant, would know instantly that it wasn't an "M" car. It seemed self-defeating to me.

What are these people thinking?
they're posers................... :thumbsdown:
Old 08-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

see, now, this is where people get riled at me,... because i open my mouth and give my opinion...
but
what the hay

i'm going to do it anyway!!!

some debadge for the aesthetics: i don't like designer clothes with ostentatious labels and i certainly will not abide a car dealer name on the back of my car (i had to have new plates made since the weasel's provided plates with their name in the small print along the bottom

but
the issue of up-badging (a higher designation than you have) or adding an M when it is not (and remember, even tho' you know it is not real, 97% of the world out there probably do not) is
to me
just like adding wingy chrome to my exhaust tips
or chrome wheels and white rear light covers
or a spoiler
or dingle balls

but
everyone has their thing
so if someone can have a spoiler and it is wrong to hassle him
then
someone can add a false M and . . well .. .. ditto

just an opine
Old 08-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Members

Debadging a 545 could be a good idea. If anyone confuses it for a 530, or 525 or whatever, then it will hold it's value much better!! Depreciation on 545's is, I fear, horrendous compared to other models. Maybe keep the badge on until the moment when the value of the 545 plunges through that of the 530 or 520 or ... and THEN debadge. ooops... Seems that's just happened!

Just a slightly jealous 530 owner here!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Senior Members

I have found this thread somewhat disturbing.

I have always viewed debadging as a choice of personal taste, nothing more. I personally like the unlcuttered look as well as the benefits when cleaning.

I have never viewed it as someone trying to hide something

I find it quite disturbing that the majority would automatically assume this.

I mean , do you look down on people that don't choose every option because

of course that could be considered as a reflection of their bank account as well?

Or do you feel 2nd class to drivers of the 7 and 8 series since you have a lesser

model? C'mon, I never expected these comments from this group, maybe RF, but

I did not expect such shallow thoughts/comments?

I will agree with the silliness of people debadging and then rebadging as a

higher model, but drawing lines in the same car class seems

as sillly (IMHO).

520i to 545i--the car is the same. The engine is the only difference and as we all know--some people just do not need/want a gas guzzling high performance engine. However, they might just want a comfortable sports sedan from a reputable car company. Nothing more.

Quick Reply: Badged or Debadged ?