E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Do you prefer your E60 Badged or Debadged?
Badged
55.61%
Debadged
44.39%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Badged or Debadged ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two reasons why debadge:
keep them guessing for whatever reason, it's enough to say BMW
and my main reason, to avoid collecting wax and dirt and just make it easier to wipe down.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twinzor1' date='Aug 9 2004, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure i understand all this debadging stuff
Here is one point that has been totally overlooked.

I am in the car wash business. Nothing is more annoying than trying to clean or wax around these stupid letters and numbers that car manufacturers affix to their cars. I debadge and will always debadge all of my cars. The BMW logo is pretty clean and smooth, so that can stay. But those plastic chrome letters really annoy me.

I couldn't care less what people think that I drive. I simply like the clean look. When we remove the 530i from my wife's car, anyone with any knowledge of the E60 will know it is a 530i based on the factory wheels.

I deal with people all day long who put too much emphasis on the status their car gives them. The thing that bothers me the most is the following:

"Be careful with my car. It is a (fill in the blank)."

We do our best to treat all the vehicles that come into our car wash with the utmost care. The fact that you spent 50,000 dollars on a car or 20,000 dollars doesn't matter to me. If you pay me to wash your car, you will get the same service as the next guy.

The only fun bonus that comes with debadging is if you have the unfortunate experience of getting a ticket. I love when the officer does not know what kind of car I am driving and has to ask me.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wash n Wax' date='Aug 9 2004, 08:46 PM
Here is one point that has been totally overlooked.
Well maybe not overlooked by sg530.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Members

Debaging, a very interesting issue.... I, for one, am not a big fan of debadging becuz over here in Korea (where there is an abundance of debadging I might add) I would say that 99% of the people that debadge their cars do it for the purpose of trying to look like a more expensive model. Some actually spend the money to put on the badge of the more expensive model (i.e., 530i to 545i). I just can't understand why people cannot be proud of the model that they have chosen to purchase. Regardless of whether I see a 545 or eventually a M5 out there, I am very proud of my 530i and I feel that I don't have to make excuses to anyone. Moreover, from the perspective of lets say a M5 owner, I frankly would not want someone driving a 530i with a M5 badge for the same reasons that I am a proud owner of my e60.

However, I do recognize the fact that there are people out there that debadge for other, more reasonable reasons and I think that, like everything else in this world, it is 100% personal preference. I just hope that people do it for the right reasons......
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

Hmm, Iceman, I think your fear of vandalism might have a little more to do with the number plate than the badge
Old 08-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Code:
Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Hartge530' date='Aug 10 2004, 01:29 AM
Debaging, a very interesting issue.... I, for one, am not a big fan of debadging becuz over here in Korea (where there is an abundance of debadging I might add) I would say that 99% of the people that debadge their cars do it for the purpose of trying to look like a more expensive model. Some actually spend the money to put on the badge of the more expensive model (i.e., 530i to 545i). I just can't understand why people cannot be proud of the model that they have chosen to purchase. Regardless of whether I see a 545 or eventually a M5 out there, I am very proud of my 530i and I feel that I don't have to make excuses to anyone. Moreover, from the perspective of lets say a M5 owner, I frankly would not want someone driving a 530i with a M5 badge for the same reasons that I am a proud owner of my e60.

However, I do recognize the fact that there are people out there that debadge for other, more reasonable reasons and I think that, like everything else in this world, it is 100% personal preference. I just hope that people do it for the right reasons......
Putting a higher badge on your car??? whaaaaa.. I would never dream about doing such a thing!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 9 2004, 04:48 PM
[quote name='tab545' date='Aug 10 2004, 12:38 AM'] What's your plate?? E60 545?? Whatever it is, very good planning on your part!
Once I pass you, you'll know it...

OK, here it is: [/quote]
Hmmm Iceman.. Your plate says F*ck You 545 hehehehe..
Old 08-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 10 2004, 10:53 AM
Hmmm Iceman.. Your plate says F*ck You 545 hehehehe..
You know... The problem here is, that I totally forgot about the F for Frankfurt at the beginning of my license plate. This can't be changed, so I forgot about it. In the past I've had F-AK, since AK are my initials... But all americans and even a lot of Germans read F*ck... This time I was looking for some "neutral"... And I thought See You "CU" would be nice... But I forgot about the F...
Now everybody reads the F word, and I meant see you...
So I see it this way:
When I approach and you see me in your rear view mirror it means f*ck you, get outta my way... Once I passed you, it's see you!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Cool that you can choose your own licensplate in Germany. In Belgium this is possible too. Somehow in Holland we don't have it. Although I know that a lot of people would pay a lot of money for it.

Quick Reply: Badged or Debadged ?