E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

B&B Exhaust Installed / Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Ooops. That was me.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Members

Did your low RPM torque decrease after installation of the B&B exhaust system?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by SFC_Miller' date='Dec 18 2004, 10:19 PM
Did your low RPM torque decrease after installation of the B&B exhaust system?
[snapback]70393[/snapback]
Didn't notice any loss of torque. Car feels a bit stronger all around, although it could be the sound fooling my butt, but I don't think so.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 19 2004, 09:01 AM
[quote name='SFC_Miller' date='Dec 18 2004, 10:19 PM']Did your low RPM torque decrease after installation of the B&B exhaust system?
Didn't notice any loss of torque. Car feels a bit stronger all around, although it could be the sound fooling my butt, but I don't think so.
[snapback]70478[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds great with excellent performance, I'm putting a B&B exhuast system on my wish list. I can't get any mods for my 545 until Mrs. SFC_Miller gets her C cups bored out to D cups. <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Funny thing is I'm a leg man!!!!!!</span>

Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFC_Miller' date='Dec 19 2004, 02:39 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Dec 19 2004, 09:01 AM'][quote name='SFC_Miller' date='Dec 18 2004, 10:19 PM']Did your low RPM torque decrease after installation of the B&B exhaust system?
[snapback]70478[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds great with excellent performance, I'm putting a B&B exhuast system on my wish list. I can't get any mods for my 545 until Mrs. SFC_Miller gets her C cups bored out to D cups. <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Funny thing is I'm a leg man!!!!!!</span>

[snapback]70521[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do like I did... She still doesn't know.
All she can remember is that it sounded that way the whole time.
As for the MRs... What's the problem??
Old 12-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:28 PM
[quote name='mcorliss' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:12 PM'][quote name='ch7656' date='Dec 10 2004, 01:52 PM']No sound clips yet...although I will have them posted in a couple days (same exhaust as Realtyman...so the sound will basically be the same). As Realtyman mentioned in his original post on his B&B install in order to get the tips to sit up in the rear valance...you need the muffler shop to fab a new small hanger in the rear. If you don't it still looks fine but the tips will be about 1/2"-3/4" lower than what you see in my pics.

Sound is great...no question the car has a V8 now. I wouldn't call it loud...but below 2k RPM it is quite noticable...if you're going to go this route you need to be prepared to give up the quiet cabin that you've grown accustomed to...below 2kRPM. I did have all my resonators installed again...so now my set-up is all stock with the exception of the B&B piece behind the rear resonator

ps-I mentioned in another post that Bavauto.com currently has this piece on sale for $629...about $200 less than B&B direct
[snapback]67521[/snapback]
Hi. I just receive my B&B for 545i. I am having it installed on Monday AM. It is an absolute work of art. Quick question. What is the little vacuum tube for that connects to the stock muffler outlet. What effect would it have on performance if it is removed a la B&B???
[snapback]70118[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tha vacuum tube opens the "secondary muffler". It is not necessary with the B&B. It's "open" all the time.
Have the shop that does the install tie it off with a tie-wrap or something. If you leave it open, it may cause your computer to throw an error. Be sure that it is tied off prior to starting the car.

Who's doing the install?

I sure does look pretty in the box, doesn't it?
[snapback]70120[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mission accomplished!

Wow it is sounds good...good and loud, that is.

However, I am getting used to it and I notice that as the ECU re-calibrates, it seems stronger on the uptake. The biggest difference between yours and mine is that I have Steptronic, which puts the RPMs in the 1,400 - 2,000 band fairly frequently. That seems to be where the lionshare of resonance resides. However, when driven more briskly, the slight droning mellows out. I suspect the overall tone will mellow as the muffler burns-in.

Now I am turning my attention to the thicker heated steering wheel. FMW quotes the price around $510-ish for the wheel alone. Knowing them, that means that it is actually a $389 item from the factory. More on this later, though...
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mcorliss' date='Dec 20 2004, 06:08 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:28 PM'][quote name='mcorliss' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:12 PM'][quote name='ch7656' date='Dec 10 2004, 01:52 PM']No sound clips yet...although I will have them posted in a couple days (same exhaust as Realtyman...so the sound will basically be the same). As Realtyman mentioned in his original post on his B&B install in order to get the tips to sit up in the rear valance...you need the muffler shop to fab a new small hanger in the rear. If you don't it still looks fine but the tips will be about 1/2"-3/4" lower than what you see in my pics.

Sound is great...no question the car has a V8 now. I wouldn't call it loud...but below 2k RPM it is quite noticable...if you're going to go this route you need to be prepared to give up the quiet cabin that you've grown accustomed to...below 2kRPM. I did have all my resonators installed again...so now my set-up is all stock with the exception of the B&B piece behind the rear resonator

ps-I mentioned in another post that Bavauto.com currently has this piece on sale for $629...about $200 less than B&B direct
[snapback]67521[/snapback]
Hi. I just receive my B&B for 545i. I am having it installed on Monday AM. It is an absolute work of art. Quick question. What is the little vacuum tube for that connects to the stock muffler outlet. What effect would it have on performance if it is removed a la B&B???
[snapback]70118[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tha vacuum tube opens the "secondary muffler". It is not necessary with the B&B. It's "open" all the time.
Have the shop that does the install tie it off with a tie-wrap or something. If you leave it open, it may cause your computer to throw an error. Be sure that it is tied off prior to starting the car.

Who's doing the install?

I sure does look pretty in the box, doesn't it?
[snapback]70120[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mission accomplished!

Wow it is sounds good...good and loud, that is.

However, I am getting used to it and I notice that as the ECU re-calibrates, it seems stronger on the uptake. The biggest difference between yours and mine is that I have Steptronic, which puts the RPMs in the 1,400 - 2,000 band fairly frequently. That seems to be where the lionshare of resonance resides. However, when driven more briskly, the slight droning mellows out. I suspect the overall tone will mellow as the muffler burns-in.

Now I am turning my attention to the thicker heated steering wheel. FMW quotes the price around $510-ish for the wheel alone. Knowing them, that means that it is actually a $389 item from the factory. More on this later, though...
[snapback]70903[/snapback]
[/quote]

Post some pics sometime. Glad you like it. We'll have to hook up some time after the holiday. Mine wen't fairly well in the slippery stuff today (but by no means as well as my old Audi - this is the first time I ever missed that car).
Old 12-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I just took my car to a muffler shop and the guy looked at the directions and asked for the rest of the exhaust system. According to the directions, I should be a cat-back exhaust. For all the guys that bought this exhaust, did you guys get the pieces from the cat back to the muffler? Also, there seems to be a vacuum line new the end (tips) of the exhaust and there is no valve on the B&B. Do i just have it cut and plugged? Will it affect my ECU? I was disappointed because I was so eager to get the exhaust installed but i don't want to mess anything up. I thought I'd ask you guys first before I did anything. Any info would sure help as I am planning on going back there on monday. Thanks guys

David
Old 12-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Hopefully you didn?t go to Midas?but sounds like you might have (Mesa Muffler would have taken care of you)?regardless, don?t worry about the vacuum hose no need to plug it?but it wouldn?t hurt if you did. And as for the exhaust it installs behind your last resonator?so it will go?dual cat?in to dual resonators?in to a single resonator and then in to your new B&B muffler.

Also keep in mind to make things fit ?just right? you?ll need to have a new rear hanger fabricated?make sure you?re shop is ready to do this (if you care about this type of thing)
Old 12-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

bleudyno....go to Mesa Muffler already.....learn from your mistakes (or their mistakes). Don't trust your car to people who can't figure things out or have experience! They're just practicing on your nice ride.

Quick Reply: B&B Exhaust Installed / Pics