E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Awesome stereo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by wedgehead98
I have the same question - I've been looking for an '07 550i Sport, Heated Seats, L7 stereo (these are my "Must Haves"). If the car had other stuff like Comfort Access, sunshades, PDC, etc. that's fine ("Nice to Haves"). I had the L7 stereo in a 545i and I really liked it...but I could see upgrading even that.

Well - I've got a really good connection on a car that has everything but the L7 and the price is perfect...except I will want to upgrade the stereo.

Keeping the interior as stock looking as possible...what is a good plan for upgrading?

Replace all stock speakers (base system has 10, I believe)...how/where do you add to come up with the 13 that are in the L7? Is this nothing more than converting a "1-way" speaker into a "2-way" speaker by having a discrete tweeter in addition to the primary cone?

Seems like the L7 also has a center front channel...the physical space must be there...can I simply add that speaker, too?

Separate the underseat subwoofers from the rest and provide dicrete amp for them.

Maybe also add a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk...I don't need that much bass, but I do like it clean and tight.

Install amp for the other speakers (mid-bass through treble).

What about the DSP sound processing the L7 does? Can I duplicate that with an aftermarket add on?

Thanks!

John

P.S. I'm very much looking forward to getting back into a BMW...I downsized a couple years ago to a Ford Ege for financial reasons...man I hate driving that thing...but it has been very reliable.
For Processing: Since you have L7 you might want to do a Mobridge DA1000 or DA2000 along with a Audison Bit one or Motus Labs AGW+

http://www.motuslab.com/en/productsa...iogateway.html
http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/preamp_DA2000

You have to decide if you want to go active or passive.

You have to decide if you want a 2 way or 3 way set.

Here is what my setup consist:

2 way active active Rainbow Plats. 1.20" tweeter in A-pillars and 7" Midbass in doors.

1 12" Dynaudio Esotar2 Sub

Audison Bit One.1

Audison 6.9 and 4.1k amps.

Tru Tech Line driver.

Focal 4" speakers for rear fill.

Heres another build of a simple yet awesome custom e60 system. the owner of the car is also a member of the board.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...sq-set-up.html

Now my Budget: Be prepared to spend to money if you want quality equipment. Here's a rundown of my system, most items were bought used.

Audison Bit One.1 $700
Rainbows Plats $700
Audison amps $1200
Dynaudio Esotar2 sub $700( thanks again KU530)
Focal 4" Rear Fill
Tru Tech Line driver $200
Sound Deadener $200
Wiring $500
and this is without labor i had to pay for sub the box, door pods and amp rack.