E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux In for XM2GO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

Hi All,
I saw a thread about Sirius and Ipod connecting to the audio system using an Aux In cable/adaptor. I have a 2006 525i.

With Sirius, the thread implied that the some of the features of the radio itself could be operated through the iDrive...is that true or am I reading something into the posts?

Right now I am using the FM broadcast mode of the XM2Go. I'm happy with the audio but I now want to have the portable cradle hard-wired into the car... for power, line output...into the car's system if that is possible.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Mark
Old 07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

The aux input does not allow you to control anything through iDrive--it is simply a stereo audio input, and you connect your audio device with a mini stereo cable. The aux input appears as one of the audio input options in iDrive, but all controlling of the device (iPod, satellite radio, etc.) is through the actual device itself.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Members

Thank you stream. How do I take advantage of the Aux Input? Is there an installation of an interface required?

Mark
Old 07-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by mleuba' date='Jul 7 2005, 06:50 PM
Thank you stream.? How do I take advantage of the Aux Input?? Is there an installation of an interface required??

Mark
[snapback]146770[/snapback]
Your dealer installs the aux input (although I've heard there are some issues with '06 cars), in the glove box next to the built in flash light, you plug a mini stereo cable into it and the audio source, select aux input from iDrive, and you control the input device with its own controls.

This is the part you plug the cable in to:

The install instructions are attached. I paid around $200 installed.
5_series_aux_input.pdf
Old 07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Members

I've got an XM2Go, plus AUX input on my 2006 530i. I haven't tried this, but it should work. I'll check it tonight to verify. Sound quality from the headphone jack is poor, much better if you use the line out/audio out, which comes from the base of the unit. I'd plug the unit into the car adapter (plus that way you can plug in the antenna and get better reception, get power from the cigarette lighter, etc). Then, I'd plug a male-to-male plug from the audio out jack to the AUX input. You can keep the whole thing inside the glove box - cleaner look and safe from prying eyes.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jacisner' date='Jul 8 2005, 03:04 PM
I've got an XM2Go, plus AUX input on my 2006 530i.? Sound quality from the headphone jack is poor, much better if you use the line out/audio out, which comes from the base of the unit.?
[snapback]147063[/snapback]
If a line out is available, it's always better than the headphone jack, since the headphone jack is filtered to work with the small headphones and doesn't do justice to powering full size speakers.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Members

Hello jacisner! How did your XM2GO hookup go?

I would like to mount a car base unit, I'm thinking of the type of swivel mount that is used for phones, screws into the floorboard and rises next to the console...

If I do this, I'd like to wire the power and the antenna into the car's system if possible...that way just "plug" the portable into the mounting bracket and away you go...

Since Sirius integration is an option, do you believe the car has an integrated satellite antenna already?

Thanks for your thoughts...Mark
Old 07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

It was my understanding that all the 2006's here in the US came with the Sirius Sat prep as standard (the antenna is in the shark fin), so you should be able to go to the dealer and get the integrated Sirius unit installed. I have it and it is great! Now if you really prefer XM over Sirius, the Aux input is your only option for now. Look at your window sticker from when you bought the car, should say Sat Prep. Or have your dealer check your VIN in their computer, that will give you your answer.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Members

Thanks kscarrol,

My question is whether/not I can tap into the integrated antenna for my XM radio. Then if I can connect the power to the car system and the Aux In, I can just "plug in" the XM2GO into the car base unit without any wires being visible...

Thanks for your thoughts. I know this question requires some definitive knowledge of the internals of the satellite system, do you have a suggestion where I can go to ask this question?

I really like the portable nature of the XM2GO, but when I'm in my car I want it to be as integrated as I can make it...

Regards,

Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by mleuba' date='Jul 14 2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks kscarrol,

My question is whether/not I can tap into the integrated antenna for my XM radio.? Then if I can connect the power to the car system and the Aux In, I can just "plug in" the XM2GO into the car base unit without any wires being visible...

Thanks for your thoughts.? I know this question requires some definitive knowledge of the internals of the satellite system, do you have a suggestion where I can go to ask this question?

I really like the portable nature of the XM2GO, but when I'm in my car I want it to be as integrated as I can make it...

Regards,

Mark
[snapback]149208[/snapback]
Sorry Mark, misunderstood your question. Not a technical guy, but I recall someone once describing how XM and Sirius antennas were tuned to pick up specific different frequencies and could not be interchanged. But I'm no expert, good luck.

Quick Reply: Aux In for XM2GO?